Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gradulated cylinder

• 25-06-2008 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for a place to buy a gradulated cylinder so i can measure out the oil needed...

BTW what is 1200 cm3 in ml ?

Was quoted €9 for an oil filter today is that expensive?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

jetski wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for a place to buy a gradulated cylinder so i can measure out the oil needed...
    A measuring jug in ml should do.
    BTW what is 1200 cm3 in ml ?
    1200ml
    Was quoted €9 for an oil filter today is that expensive?
    Depends what the filter was, but doesnt sound madly excessive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oryx wrote: »
    A measuring jug in ml should do.
    An old measuring jug will do or you'll be killed :eek:

Indeed, €9 for an oil filter sounds reasonable. Depends on the engine of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

ok ill edit my question :D

Hi all, looking for a place to buy a measuring jug so i can measure out the oil needed

The oil filter is for a yamaha 250cc motorbike!

Some supermarkets sell them, also places like roches and so forth.

You should be able to get a wide shallowish one. If you get one that holds about 1.5 litres, you can use it to drain the oil from your bike too. I'd also recommend one of those conical filter thingies to avoid getting oil everywhere. It's a bitch to get it off a concrete driveway.

Most oil bottles I've seen are also graded along the edge, with a seethrough-ish bit. So if you buy 2 x 1l bottles, you pour one whole bottle in, then 200ml from the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

yea but the bottles are hard to get upto the hole... id like to measure out exactly the right amount and just poar the whole thing in nice and neatly.... never mind getting oil off concrete ill be doing it on my mates decking so ill need it to be neat :(

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Anywhere that sells kitchen stuff will do jugs and funnels. Or get a two stroke bottle thats graduated up the side with a spouted cap. Silkolene and castrol bottles are like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

About 240 teaspoonsful should do the trick. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

go to a supermarket, you sould get one there (baby's bottles are good for measuring stuff)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I wouldn't trust what you read in the user manual or what people might tell you when it comes to measuring oil.

Don't you have a window showing the oil level or a dip-stick? You should use that to get the oil level right as opposed to measuring exactly 1.2l of oil...

That's my two cents' worth anyway!

jetski wrote: »
    yea but the bottles are hard to get upto the hole... id like to measure out exactly the right amount and just poar the whole thing in nice and neatly.... never mind getting oil off concrete ill be doing it on my mates decking so ill need it to be neat :(
    Newspaper will do the trick (more than one page obviously...).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I wouldn't trust what you read in the user manual or what people might tell you when it comes to measuring oil.

Don't you have a window showing the oil level or a dip-stick? You should use that to get the oil level right as opposed to measuring exactly 1.2l of oil...

That's my two cents' worth anyway!
    Two cents is more than that advice is worth. You don't trust the user manual. So, you know more than the designer then?

How could using the sight window be more accurate than measuring the amount of oil before filling? How long would you wait after adding oil before you would look at the level in the window? The OP is probably being a bit too careful, granted, but your 'advice' is bad, to say the least.

Not your ornery onager

I take it you never changed the oil yourself then?

The first time I changed the oil and filter on my Bandit I measured exactly what the user manual said I should put in. Turns out after adding it and running the engine for a bit (to fill the filter) I couldn't see any oil through the window. I was doing it during a motorcycle mechanic course and the "teacher", who was a Honda mechanic, explained that what was written in the user manual probably didn't account for the filter being replaced also.

I had to add nearly 500ml of oil to get the level right AFTER putting what the user manual advised.

But you do what you want seen as you know better than everybody... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I find a nice low and wide mixing bowl is better than a higher vessel, easier to get under the bike.

Indeed, when you change the filter, you will need to put in more oil than if you were just changing the oil itself. Rough rule of thumb is around 500ml, though this depends on the bike. Most manuals assume that you would have the filter replaced by a mechanic, which is why they may not tell you what the total amount of oil required is. Of course, they also recommend that you replace the filter every 2 months/1000km (IIRC, or maybe that's just the oil), which would work out very expensive if you were to drop it into a shop every time.

Best thing is to put in the recommended amount and the new filter. Switch it on and let it idle for 5-10 minutes, gently rev it to get the oil into the filter. Then switch it off and let it cool down for a few minutes and check the window/dipstick and top it up if necessary.

seamus wrote: »
    Best thing is to put in the recommended amount and the new filter. Switch it on and let it idle for 5-10 minutes, gently rev it to get the oil into the filter. Then switch it off and let it cool down for a few minutes and check the window/dipstick and top it up if necessary.
    Perfectly put Seamus! :)

Advertisement