Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeats?

Options
  • 25-06-2008 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm in my first year in a part time course in DIT Kevin Street - unfortunately, I failed one of my subjects during the summer exams and I'll have to repeat it later...

I know that the supplemental exams take place in late August/early September but what do I have to do on my end? Do I need to re-register for them, pay a fee or do anything else? Does the exam office notify you of all this or are you supposed to sort things out yourself so you can sit the exam again? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

J-blk wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm in my first year in a part time course in DIT Kevin Street - unfortunately, I failed one of my subjects during the summer exams and I'll have to repeat it later...

I know that the supplemental exams take place in late August/early September but what do I have to do on my end? Do I need to re-register for them, pay a fee or do anything else? Does the exam office notify you of all this or are you supposed to sort things out yourself so you can sit the exam again? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I got a letter in the post from DIT concerning this (DT228/2) with a form to fill out, possibly its the same for all but with dit you never know...

Nick

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

dropa email or even a call to the dept

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

yoyo wrote: »
    I got a letter in the post from DIT concerning this (DT228/2) with a form to fill out, possibly its the same for all but with dit you never know...

Yeah, I never got any of the two semester results in the post - just checked online but I've gotten post regarding both sets of exams (exam card, etc) so I have no idea what the deal is. Guess I'll have to contact them to see what's up though at this stage I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth going back. All first year modules were complete crap...

Cheers for the replies lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Buffman

When I was in Bolton street they posted the repeat details with your results. You'll get your results in the post eventually, priority is usually given to getting final yr results out first.

You have to pay €50 (prob gone up since I was there) to repeat. They'll send you your timetable and its just like summer exams then. Usually first week of Sept, so plenty of time to study...!
    Give the exam office a quick buzz if you dont' hear in a few weeks.

Good luck with them.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dar_88

Do you have to pay for repeats in Kevin St?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Dar_88 wrote: »
    Do you have to pay for repeats in Kevin St?

Yes, €55 by the 18th July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Caroline19

Hiya,
    I have one subject to repeat in another course. I got a letter from the college ten days ago saying same and that there was a fee of €55 for all repeats. You will generally be notified in the next two/three weeks with dates of repeats. This year they are starting on the 24th of Aug on a two week basis. Fee has to be paid before 18th July. If you don't recieve any letter about your repeat within the next week I would recommend you contact your college exams office....
    Best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

ah you lucky people that have been contacted by the college. I got an email just yesterday telling me my results will be posted out 'early next week', how the hell am i supposed to arrange to pay them for repeats before the 18th! Also informed they will send out the repeat timetables in mid august, so that gives me a whole weeks notice to arrange days off for exams. Argh i hate DIT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Caroline19

sickle wrote: »
    ah you lucky people that have been contacted by the college. I got an email just yesterday telling me my results will be posted out 'early next week', how the hell am i supposed to arrange to pay them for repeats before the 18th! Also informed they will send out the repeat timetables in mid august, so that gives me a whole weeks notice to arrange days off for exams. Argh i hate DIT!!
    It's a bit of a joke, isn't it....I've to tske time off as well....but don't know when, August or Sept???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Phil88

If you fail a subject in the repeats aswell do you have to repeat the year or can you just carry on the subject for the 2nd year?

• Advertisement

Phil88 wrote: »
    If you fail a subject in the repeats aswell do you have to repeat the year or can you just carry on the subject for the 2nd year?

I'm kind of wondering that too... The letter I got seems to state in a rather ominous way that if you fail the repeats too, then that's it, you're f****d and can't continue with the program you're in at all... Which if true, is rather annoying having failed just one module...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

It depends, some core subjects that would take up 2 semesters they dont allow you to repeat. Subjects that are of importance to what you are doing in 2nd year they might not allow you to repeat.

But.... The general consensus from my year last september was they you were allowed to carry on subjects (max 2) to the next year provided they are not core.

You will also have to put your case to the Head of the School of Computing as to why you should be allowed progress and carry your subject/s on.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    It depends, some core subjects that would take up 2 semesters they dont allow you to repeat. Subjects that are of importance to what you are doing in 2nd year they might not allow you to repeat.

But.... The general consensus from my year last september was they you were allowed to carry on subjects (max 2) to the next year provided they are not core.

The module only took one semester but I'm sure it's a core module - I think all the first year modules are. And since this has a "1" in it's title, I'm guessing "2" is coming in the next year. Doesn't matter, I think if I fail it again, I wouldn't be bothered with continuing on anyway. Thanks for the replies.

Anyone got any idea when the DT228/2 repeats are being held?

Cheers

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

only dates so far are the ones posted on www.ditsu.ie

think it was some start on the 25th of august but majority start on the 1st september

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

I was in Kevin St

and i was told that the exams start around the 27th... but i supose by now most of you have got that info!!

I was in Kevin St

and i was told that the exams start around the 27th... but i supose by now most of you have got that info!!
    Cheers m8, I got the timetable in the post so am sorted now :D

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 01kenta

But how much does it cost too repeat the whole year??? And how much does is cost if u are just repeating 2 modules of ur course????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

01kenta wrote: »
    But how much does it cost too repeat the whole year??? And how much does is cost if u are just repeating 2 modules of ur course????

If you have to repeat the full year, I think I am right in saying the government does NOT contribute, so you must take the full hit for the fees (4 or 5 grand) :eek:

You also have the option of repeating the exams next year and just not attend college - study on your own. You just have to pay the exam fees to do this I think.

You could also possibly 'carry' the subject into next year meaning you continue onto the next year of your course but you still must take the module/class/exam you failed at the next opportunity. Depends entirely on what the subject is. Don't think core ones can be carried - not 100% sure!

I think I'm right with all that info. I was repeating last year so got some info on all the 'What if?' scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

Last Year I had to repeat bloody C programming & it cost me just a little under €2000:(:(. But if I had to repeat the whole year, it would have cost me €3000 (even worse:()

If you are repeating, you can pay the whole amount in one go or you can pay at the beginning of the two semesters, €1000 or €1500 respectively which case you might happen to fall in.

My class times was only 2 hours a week, so I worked the rest, and earned a lot of money for my holidays to Brazil next summer.:D:D:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 01kenta

Thanks guys!!! I am doing a level 8 course 4 years!! So would u know the price to repeat 1 module for the year???

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭B2k

im in the same boat as u.. have to repeat and can get no help off the lecturers.. its a disgrace really.. so repeating or carrying modules could be an option but i really dont want to.. plus noone can tell me what my options are for repeat modules are.. best response i got was "do your best and see after.." anyone have any other experiences of this..?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

B2k wrote: »
    im in the same boat as u.. have to repeat and can get no help off the lecturers.. its a disgrace really.. so repeating or carrying modules could be an option but i really dont want to.. plus noone can tell me what my options are for repeat modules are.. best response i got was "do your best and see after.." anyone have any other experiences of this..?

I would sympathise with a lecturer telling you to do your best in a repeat exam, because asking what the options are beyond that is showing them that actually, you don't expect to do well and as such, won't work for it.

Knuckle down and focus on what you need to do in the coming week or so of repeats. After that, see what you need to do.

As a general rule, 2 subjects can be carried into the next year (though I imagine fourth year is an exception) as long as they're not core subjects of the course. If you have to do more, i.e. repeat the entire year, it doesn't count as free (i.e. the government will not pay for it) so you'll have to pay the full fee's for repeating.

I don't have a lot of experience with this stuff so I'm sure someone else can clarify these points, but as I said, as a general rule this is how it goes. Either way, take each step as it comes, focus on the up-coming exams first. You could do really well in them...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

When are the results out in Aungier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I had to repeat 3 subjects out of around 10 last year and paid around €2000 for the year (this includes capatation fees). If you fail less than 60% of the course you pay the discounted fee but if you fail 60%+ you pay the full fee (which in my case would have been €2800). And then there was also the option to not attend classes and just repeat at exam time which would cost €200 and there was also an option to add a small fee (around €50/60 i think) on top of that for use of the library throughout the year.

I don't know if the fees vary from course to course or if they've increased since last year but I'd advise any repeaters to get it all sorted asap as they don't send out the repeat forms in the post till a few days before classes start and you have to get it approved by course head, pay fees, get student card etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Anyone know where i can get info on when the exam boards are meeting?

Advertisement