Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology/Psychotherapy

• 25-06-2008 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

Gearing myself up to begin studying PT at DBS, but as Ive asked them with no reply, what sort of differences are there between the degree in psychology and the degree in counselling&psychotherapy. I thought doing psychology you end up doing counselling and therapy regardless.
    What sort of different jobs are available for each does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Psychology does not mean that you necessarily can start counselling, as there are different streams in psychology.

Some of these are counselling, health, clinical to name a few. As someone who did the first year in DBS on the Counselling & PSychotherapy course, before transferring to a another college, your best bet is to ring the DBS, as emails are generally ignored by them. At least that was my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

Thanks for the reply irishamethyst, could you recommend me anywhere to look or get guidance on what TYPE of pschology to study? What made you do a year of one course and then change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I changed from the DBS, as for a psychotherapy course, I found it had too much of a leaning on the theory than the practical. i study at PCI College (www.pcicollege.ie), and find they have the right balace of theory and practical. I also found the structure in DBS was weird - admin were not very good at passing messages on - one day, the class was changed for some reason, but they forgot to tell the tutors, so 3 tutors turned up, and only half the students were told, so people were expecting one class only to have another. That was only my experience though.

Maybe check with the PSI, they may have some info on the various types of psychology, or even contact some of the Universities, such as Trinity, UCD etc.

Advertisement