Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does everyone do ?

Options
  • 25-06-2008 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

I didn't realise, but from reading the Wicklow 200 thread, it looks like lots of people here are computer nerds !

Is this the case ?

I am a raging computer nerd, doing research in network security. What does everyone else do ?

(idle off topic question for the day)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I'm the Facilities Officer for Croke Park Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm a horrid nerd too, working as a Software Dev with a company that does travel software (sadly I can't get cheap flights!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Im a complete nerd also, working as a Network engineer about to change company to a large financial firm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I'm a horrid nerd too, working as a Software Dev with a company that does travel software (sadly I can't get cheap flights!)

Is that in east point by any chance ?

I am a Software Consultant. - spell that N.E.R.D.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Is that in east point by any chance ?

I am a Software Consultant. - spell that N.E.R.D.

Nope, it's the young upstart company that stole half their staff it would seem :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Work with an angry Bosnian man perhaps ?

Verb wrote: »
    Work with an angry Bosnian man perhaps ?

It would appear that he's famous...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Watch out for his story of shrapnel in the knee. Anyway ! Back on topic for all the non travel software people !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Software too. Currently embedded, moving to a startup doing more application level stuff in 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Mostly accounts. Hate it. Also: typing the € symbol for people, resizing cell boxes, doing mail merges and any other stuff that people who get paid four times more than me are unable to do in Microsoft Office. I understand the mysteries of Vista, oooooooh!

Yeah, I'm bitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

I'm the übernerd at a tech startup. C# has been my thing for the last four years but I would have been C++ on Win32 for years prior to that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm part of the vast worldwide liberial media conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'm a bit of nerd too - IT support/systems management etc.

It's funny. If asked a few years ago what my hobby was, it would have been computers. Now, it's cycling. You never lose touch with your inner nerd though - he's always there trying to figure out how things work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Recording Engineer.
    Top of the range geek! Have cycled bicycles around most of the top studios in the country. I try do it in each place I visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sooty11

i think i maybe first female computer nerd here.....
    software test manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Build guy for GNOME team at a place in East Point.
    I have 16 points on GNOME's bugzilla. It seems to be a decent number, though completely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

daymobrew wrote: »
    Build guy for GNOME team at a place in East Point.

Ah, so you're a build guy...I guess that explains the 'gratuitous Perl'. My build guy from the last place would have used Python :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I'm a Financial Fraud Investigator ... beware ( maybe I should'nt say that on here )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Long time career gypsy, I found my inner geek and put him in charge. ;)

In-house press officer, I spend most of my day hunched over the laptop looking like this - :mad: - Hence the need to ride a bike...

Great job though, love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

ok so
    I am a car salesman , i know i know
    for my sins that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

I'm a Financial Fraud Investigator ... beware ( maybe I should'nt say that on here )

Interesting. Im a Internal Fraud Analyst (in a telecoms company). And a physio therapist in training. 2 and a bit years left to do in that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Another nerd. Or at least I used to be. Used to be a Software Engineer (contractor and then later with a large multinational). Now manager of a software division of a fairly large multinational.

Boring eh ? Still at least it pays for fancy wheels, carbon bits and pieces and boards.ie jerseys. If only they'd leave me alone long enough for me to train enough to migrate beyond mere survival with the odd flash or result, to being actually good on a bike !

Interesting. Im a Internal Fraud Analyst (in a telecoms company). And a physio therapist in training. 2 and a bit years left to do in that

With a famous irish mobile company that promotes irish music awards? Then you migh be or have working with a few of my old colleagues :)

I love my job, it's very rewarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I think we can lock the thread. I officially have the worst job on boards. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

International Man of Mystery.

I think we can lock the thread. I officially have the worst job on boards. :(

This you perchance?
    swiss.jpg

:D

At the end of the day mate, it's a living, same as everyone else!

With a famous irish mobile company that promotes irish music awards? Then you migh be or have working with a few of my old colleagues :)

I love my job, it's very rewarding.

Nope I work for .....um the "red" one!
    But im sure I've spoke to you some of your guys at some stage though, I do some court and lot of work with the Gardai. And then all the usual internal stuff that rears its ugly head every other day.:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

unionman wrote: »
    Long time career gypsy, I found my inner geek and put him in charge. ;)

In-house press officer, I spend most of my day hunched over the laptop looking like this - :mad: - Hence the need to ride a bike...

Great job though, love it.

I'm wondering now if we've ever spoken to eachother in the course of our professional duties. Been a while since I've spoken to a union though.

Nope I work for .....um the "red" one!
    But im sure I've spoke to you some of your guys at some stage though, I do some court and lot of work with the Gardai. And then all the usual internal stuff that rears its ugly head every other day.:D

Who knows ;) but i am not a Gardai.

I prefer not to comment anymore on my day to day activity on a public site.

• Advertisement

I prefer not to comment anymore on my day to day activity on a public site.

That might be a good idea ! ;)

Advertisement