Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo is top of the Shops!

Options
  • 25-06-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭

According to today's Champion we are ahead of Letterkenny, Monaghan, Cavan, and others. I think Drogheda is in the list also.

Good to hear some positive news for once! I only scanned the headline so you'll have to check it out yourself to get the meat of the story!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Not good enough Gillie, not good enough. Please report back ASAP will full transcript.

tch tch tch...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

What exactly does 'top o' the shops' mean?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

sueme wrote: »
    Not good enough Gillie, not good enough. Please report back ASAP will full transcript.

tch tch tch...

:D

I'm not shelling out for the Champion! We're in a recession you know!;)
    What exactly does 'top o' the shops' mean?? :confused:

The most money has been spent on shopping in Sligo - 260 Million

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Sligo is significantly bigger than those places. As in between twice and five times the size. It's like thinking you're tough because you've beaten up an eight year old. Well done Sligo?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

il gatto wrote: »
    Sligo is significantly bigger than those places. As in between twice and five times the size. It's like thinking you're tough because you've beaten up an eight year old. Well done Sligo?:confused:

Not bigger than Drogheda and Letterkenny has many more shops than us.

True in the case of Cavan and Monaghan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

Gillie wrote: »
    According to today's Champion we are ahead of Letterkenny, Monaghan, Cavan, and others. I think Drogheda is in the list also.

Good to hear some positive news for once! I only scanned the headline so you'll have to check it out yourself to get the meat of the story!

The research for this was done by Experian..
    Is the company made up of our
    GREAT Chamber of Commerce of Sligo “TOWN”:mad::mad:
    and all the other Town listed.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek:

Why do all the people of Sligo go to Enniskillen and Carrick
    and other towns to shop if it is this good.

Argos - Aldi - M&S
    Giving jobs – money to the Local economy and choice to the people

Letterkenny, although a thriving town is nevertheless, half the size of Sligo. Drogheda's proximity to Dublin, the biggest retail area in the country, is bound to negatively impact on their figures. Walking around Sligo on Tuesday anfd Saturday last week, it seems to me the town is quieter than this time last year. Significantly quieter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

half the size of sligo ito of?population,sq.miles,number of shops?

half the size of sligo ito of?population,sq.miles,number of shops?

Well Sligo is half as big again at least. Bear in mind Sligo's population numbers are well beneath the actual figure due to the town boundries being located as they are. Real figures are hard to find due to the multifarious ways of reporting them. It would appear that within it's boundries, Letterkenny is just a third the size of Sligo.
    Same with area figures. Wiki states that Sligo is around 12km2 while Letterkenny is 307km2. Obviously an anomoly.

This link gives some idea of why Sligo's figures may be misleading.
    http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mheymhkfey

Letterkennys recent development (the last decade) of ring roads, roundabouts and retail/business parks means it sprawls much more than Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

il gatto wrote: »
    Walking around Sligo on Saturday last week, it seems to me the town is quieter than this time last year. Significantly quieter.
    You must have been in town at the crack of dawn then :) 'cos it was wedged last Saturday afternoon, esp. in the Quayside centre and don't get me started on Tesco! Queues out the door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Madge wrote: »
    and don't get me started on Tesco! Queues out the door

Hyperbole?

Madge wrote: »
    You must have been in town at the crack of dawn then :) 'cos it was wedged last Saturday afternoon, esp. in the Quayside centre and don't get me started on Tesco! Queues out the door

I meant the streets were empty feeling. And I got parked easily for a change.

Advertisement