Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much to replace CV Boot??

• 25-06-2008 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Quick question there;

I recently went for the NCT on my 00 Clio. She failed on one small point; the "left side CV Boot was torn". Looking for a kind of rough estimate as to how much that should cost...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rough guesstimate - 100 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

if the boot is torn then the CV joint may be damaged from lack of greese and small bits of grit getting into it. if you plan on keeping the car for a while then i would recommend repalcing the CV joint as well as the rubber cover. the full kit should cost about 60euro and about an hour labor to fit :) which wiil cost from 60 to 160 depending where you go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

A way of checking if the CV joint is gone is to go to an empty carpark, and drive the car slowly in circles at full lock on both left and right. Open the windows and listen for a clicking sound. If it clicks then the inside wheel/CV joint is worn out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm going to say a bit less. 30 mins labour, depending on the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Ferris wrote: »
    A way of checking if the CV joint is gone is to go to an empty carpark, and drive the car slowly in circles at full lock on both left and right. Open the windows and listen for a clicking sound. If it clicks then the inside wheel/CV joint is worn out.

If you are turning to the right and hear the sound then it is the left CV joint and if you are turning left and hear the sound it is the right CV joint.

In the states this repair is fairly inexpensive. It is possible to have the joint rebuilt in many cases which is even less expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

A torn CV boot doesn't necessarily mean there's damage (yet) to the joint.

A slightly clicking joint that has been repacked with grease and had a new boot put on will be fine.

It's about a 30 min job to replace the boot, lots of Kwikfit type places will do it, and should cost no more than about €100. To replace the joint isn't much extra work, and a spurious joint will cost about €60.

It's not a job to try yourself unless you have the tools, especially a deep socket for the hub nut, a cone and a ball joint splitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Fairly accurate their lads in fairness to ye. Got it done yesterday. 100euro all in all. Not bad.

Cheers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 herself.there

went to change tyres in advance pitstop. they said i needed new cv joint. and quoted me 330 euros..I didnt get it done cos i knew they're over priced but double is a bit of a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

zombie_1-9316_640x480.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement