Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

220 sqft extension for 55g ??

• 25-06-2008 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Is this expensive?
    I have no idea about these things but that is the quote I got this morning off an architect.
    I am in North Dublin.

Also if anyone has any good recommendations for a Builder or Architect could you please PM me -- thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

In a short answer.. YES €250 a sqft is very expensive, but it might not be a standard extension on standard foundations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 erato

No it is standard. The house is 40 years old and loads of other people around have them. He never said anything about it being difficult he just said that was the cost. Just that it would have a tiled roof not a flat one.

I did not know that you charge per sqft and he never told me the rate.
    But he said something at the end that threw me totally - he said My Sons a builder .. so that got me suspect as I was expecting it to be MAX 30g.

Thanks for your reply

Well they don't give you a rate because as such there is no such a standard rate, but working it out builing should cost anywhere between €50 and €175 a sqft. being an extension its always gonna be towards the dear end of the spectrum but I still think that €250 is a bit too much. Get the drawings off him and shop around, you'll be surprised how much you could save.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

a builder i have used told me last week that the most up to date figure he uses for extensions and houses is

Basic : €150 Sq. Ft
    Medium : €200 Sq. Ft
    High End : €250 Sq. Ft : allowing for expensive tiles, marble counter tops etc etc

Bruce Shaw 2005 price guide says 1100-1500 Sq. M (102-140 Sq. Ft.)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i would say that the architect is quoting you for the whole turn key price, not just builders finish....

ie included may be
    professional fees
    associated site costs
    remedial site works
    project construction
    decoration and furnishing

• Advertisement

No I asked about what it included and he said just the building work.
    No tiles, No kitchen nothing!!!
    So I said that was my entire budget and I would have nothing left for tiles or Kitchen appliances and he said I could get Lino while I was waiting........

I really think its a rip.
    He said he is going to get back to me with more detailed and accurate costings, but I think I need to get a few more quotes, anything I should ask them so they dont think I am thick and know nothing so they can get away with charging me 55g????

Well he is just your architect so you are free to hire whoever you want to carry out the work for you. With the recent downfall in work levels you will definitely get a cheaper rate than that. Just make sure ya get your drawings off him and then you are free to chose whoever has the best cost - quality price

no plans from him yet.
    He said he would need to do a full survey of the house before he could give me plans.
    I have not paid him anything yet. This was just a consultation he said he would need to see the house and get a general idea of the work required before he could give me a price for plans.

Could you recommend any architects? – Not sure if that is allowed on the site or not – only new

Advertisement