Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Solid Kitchens??

Options
  • 25-06-2008 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

Wounder if anyone has any experience dealing with UK based company called Rock Solid Kitchens?:confused:

Any comments and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

CU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭secman

Just google it and you will see a reference to a site Blaggers, there are numerous bad experiences posted up there and also a reference to an Oldham complaints board. Me thinks, not is all well !

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Stay Well Away !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Know it's an oldie, but did you listen to Liveline about this place today???
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cu

hottstuff wrote: »
    Know it's an oldie, but did you listen to Liveline about this place today???
    :D

Yes i did. Never went with them in the end, thank God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 guyfromthebar

Hi guys, I happen to be the one who brought this company to the attention of Liveline on Thursday morning, after what I can only now say have been ripped off by Rock Solid Kitchens, The kitchen fitter (Jackie Robuck) came to my house and was more interested in getting our deposit than fitting out the kitchen, She spent 7 to 10 minutes sizing up she got down to price, After her waffle about how great the kitchen was going to be she was also told about my sister in law, who as luck may have it was also in the market for a new kitchen, She couldn't jump quick enough to run around the corner to size up her pockets, sorry kitchen but then changed her mind when she was told my sister in law was shopping around and would like to think about it, Miss Robuck soon changed her mind and said she would call to her next weekend. Only now I went to Cash & Carry Kitchens I found out she couldn't size up a pair of feet let alone a kitchen.

She asked for a 200 euro deposit after giving us a price of 1200 for a full top of the range white high gloss kitchen and got us to "sign" the kitchen planner stating we had given our deposit, Only after we read the small print did we find out we had in fact signed a CONTRACT.

After investagating more into this company I found out some very interesting facts :-

Vance Miller is an owner of this company along with Alan Ford even though he tells everyone he is not. Rock Solid Kitchens are not a Limited Company it is opperating as a sole trader

Miller was convicted in Manchester County Court in June 08 by the Britsh Trading Stand, For misleading and conning people into buying kitchens and fined 90k and also given 6 months suspended for 2 years, Now you know why he's now in Ireland, He has a big fine to pay and Irish people are going to be left with the bill.

As far as I can tell from speeking to the Garda here and the Police in Oldham Manchester, The law here have more powers of arrest for matters like this so if you have been ripped off build up your case and contact your local Garda.

The rep that came and stole our deposit was called Jackie Robuck
    She was from Manchester, Mid 40s and drove a Nissan Almera 07D 72212
    This car was on hire from Budget Rent A Car from October 10th to 22nd and was spotted in Dublin, Cork and Roscommon, she was using the mobile number 086 3742903, She had a number of mobile phones with her that day so could be using any one of them now, but if you have any more info please ad it to this blogg.

If you have been ripped off by this company please contact your local Garda Station or contact Oldham Police CID 0044 161 8568999

If you haven't heard the show follow this link
    http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2008/pc/pod-v-311008-27m40s-liveline.mp3
    I would love to hear from any one who have given Rock Solid Kitchens money my contact new2this@live.ie
    STAY WELL CLEAR OF THIS CON MAN THEY HAVE A FULL PAGE AD IN CITY ADS UNDER A FULL PAGE RED AND WHITE AD HEADDER "KITCHENS"
    REPORT IT TO GARDAI AND UK POLICE
    IT IS A SCAM
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 guyfromthebar

Low and behold, got a call from them 2 weeks ago to say kitchen would be here on the 17th its now the 20th and its still not here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 blackbush2000

I'm a Kitchen Fitter myself and so far I came across 3 Costumers how wanted me to fit a Kitchen of this Company called Rock Solid, alias Maple Ind., alias Kitchens! All owned or managed by one well known Man Vance Miller!!!!!
    I was suspicious from the beginning and told the Customer my concerns straight away after seeing the drawings (Contract sheet).

But I was not interfering with customers decisions and and in the first case the kitchen was from my point of view okay!!! The missing/damaged Formica Worktop was replaced within one week and I had to cut down 2 base Units to fit them in place.
    But from the promised Solid Quality was this kitchen far away. Carcases have been made out of the cheapest Lam-wood on the Veneer was scraped or very badly to the surface applied.
    The second case showed already more of the Class of this Company (still trading under the Name of Maple Ind. at the time!
    Half the kitchen doors have been missing or were the wrong size, a tall pull-out Larder turned out to be just a broom press without any steel wired baskets. Extras like an Island Unit or Wine-rack I had to make up myself in my own workshop to get this Kitchen eventually finished after waiting for 2 Months to get the right matching sheets from England delivered!

Last case of this Odyssey was than already trading under new Name but same bad Quality "Rock Solid" of Oldham.
    The Customer was promised as 100% solid wood Carcase Kitchen Painted with solid Oak Worktop and High Street Appliances.
    The day these Wonderland Kitchen arrived, it was just parts of it, no Worktop (out of stock):D Carcases only "Cheap-Board":D:D 16mm and not even the right colour, Doors missing, wrong size of Units, wrong Sink, no Canopy Hood only an External one available and all Appliances NO NAME Products (Necht) obviously came out of an over production of same Brand Names like Phillips or Zanussi but no Warranty with them.
    Because the only distributer of those appliances is .... guess????
    exactly "Rock Solid Kitchens" of Oldham so no come back in case of a breack down.
    My advise to the Customer was to send this Master piece of a kitchen back were it came from, which they did!

If it looks to be to good to be true it is a scam, so watch out because them Boys are still out there and they don't care about your Kitchen but they are very interested in your Money and nothing else. :rolleyes:

And please note there is no way to sell a Kitchen of this "promised Quality" for such a low price. Get a Quote from places like "Ikea, B&Q, or C+C" first or compare independent small Manufacturers and you have an Idea of how much you have to spend at the end.
    Not everyone is ripping you of in this business but the more glamour is around the product the more careful you have to be!!;)

Hepe

• Registered Users Posts: 2 carolinewhelan

this company are going around ireland ripping off people they only deliver half a kitchen they are being taken to court in manchester for fraud
    cu wrote: »
    Hi,

Wounder if anyone has any experience dealing with UK based company called Rock Solid Kitchens?:confused:

Any comments and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

CU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alex1968

can you help we just had a rep from rock solid kitchens in our house on the 21/1/2009 and gave a deposit of 50 euro can we cancell the kitchen or have we entered into a contract and have to pay in full for the kitchen .................
    Hi guys, I happen to be the one who brought this company to the attention of Liveline on Thursday morning, after what I can only now say have been ripped off by Rock Solid Kitchens, The kitchen fitter (Jackie Robuck) came to my house and was more interested in getting our deposit than fitting out the kitchen, She spent 7 to 10 minutes sizing up she got down to price, After her waffle about how great the kitchen was going to be she was also told about my sister in law, who as luck may have it was also in the market for a new kitchen, She couldn't jump quick enough to run around the corner to size up her pockets, sorry kitchen but then changed her mind when she was told my sister in law was shopping around and would like to think about it, Miss Robuck soon changed her mind and said she would call to her next weekend. Only now I went to Cash & Carry Kitchens I found out she couldn't size up a pair of feet let alone a kitchen.

She asked for a 200 euro deposit after giving us a price of 1200 for a full top of the range white high gloss kitchen and got us to "sign" the kitchen planner stating we had given our deposit, Only after we read the small print did we find out we had in fact signed a CONTRACT.

After investagating more into this company I found out some very interesting facts :-

Vance Miller is an owner of this company along with Alan Ford even though he tells everyone he is not. Rock Solid Kitchens are not a Limited Company it is opperating as a sole trader

Miller was convicted in Manchester County Court in June 08 by the Britsh Trading Stand, For misleading and conning people into buying kitchens and fined 90k and also given 6 months suspended for 2 years, Now you know why he's now in Ireland, He has a big fine to pay and Irish people are going to be left with the bill.

As far as I can tell from speeking to the Garda here and the Police in Oldham Manchester, The law here have more powers of arrest for matters like this so if you have been ripped off build up your case and contact your local Garda.

The rep that came and stole our deposit was called Jackie Robuck
    She was from Manchester, Mid 40s and drove a Nissan Almera 07D 72212
    This car was on hire from Budget Rent A Car from October 10th to 22nd and was spotted in Dublin, Cork and Roscommon, she was using the mobile number 086 3742903, She had a number of mobile phones with her that day so could be using any one of them now, but if you have any more info please ad it to this blogg.

If you have been ripped off by this company please contact your local Garda Station or contact Oldham Police

If you haven't heard the show follow this link
    http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2008/pc/pod-v-311008-27m40s-liveline.mp3
    I would love to hear from any one who have given Rock Solid Kitchens money my contact new2this@live.ie
    STAY WELL CLEAR OF THIS CON MAN THEY HAVE A FULL PAGE AD IN CITY ADS UNDER A FULL PAGE RED AND WHITE AD HEADDER "KITCHENS"
    REPORT IT TO GARDAI AND UK POLICE
    IT IS A SCAM

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 carolinewhelan

alex1968,

do not go through with your order with rock solid kitchens, you are lucky you just gave the 50 euro, if you have a number for the rep ring them and cancel or fax through a cancellation to 00448712717203, you will lose your deposit, a relation of mine got a kitchen delivered in november with loads of parts missing, i have made constant calls emails fax's and they keep saying we will have the missing parts next week but next week never comes with them, dont worry about the so called contract because they cannot supply what you have ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 saroie

I was getting a new kitchen before christmas, I did a lot of reseach and got loads of quotes I looked in to rock solid kitchen and their prices and rage was great, but in the end I got a cabinet maker to make and fit my kitchen and am I glad I did now. I got a free quote, I changed my design twice (I'm Very picky my partner was going to kill me), the price was excellent, the standard of kitchen was better then any other I'd seen and I even got a brill offer as I got him to put down floors in two bedrooms and fit a wardrobe in my daughters room because I gave him alot of work together he gave me a great discount. I think the poor fella ripped himself off. I'm so glad I didin't go with rock solid kitchens now. If any one is concidering them DON'T. call the company I got just pm me

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

thats excellent, its very considerate of you to come on and take the time in both your first and second posts to give us the details of this guy.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 boxerboy

i just got on to rock solid kitchens and asked for a quote a while back and they sent someone out to measure he was polite and friendly and didnt take long i only had to pay him 200 euro for deposit on 4000 euro kichen,i was a bit dubious after reading these comments and for a while i thought i was being ripped off,but the stuff came when they said it would and im happy, he even got someone to fit the whole kitchen for 800 euro.i had got quotes off two other cabinet makers and the two of them where 8600 and 9100. i think alot of fitters have in out for rock solid as they cant compete with them

Hi there,

just got your message there about "Rock Solid Kitchens"!
    It seem to be you are one of the lucky ones who got at the end would you asked for.
    Unfortunately in a lot of the cases I personally dealt with the delivered kitchen was unacceptable (broken, scraped and damaged parts in the boxes) and units missing or multiple colours.
    I'm not keen to persuade people to skip there contract with "Rock solid kitchens" just to grab a job!
    But I tell the person about my experience with them and it is up to the people them self to make up their mind and make the decision!

That many of the so called "Irish Tradesmen" their customers cream and rip off is another problem and something I can't agree either. Some of them just chance to give you a number as their required charge without foundation or explanation for it.

But the problem in general is, everyone can start a business here even without any qualifications for the job. Just buy yourself a Screwgun - and there we go we have another great guy who is all of a sudden "Carpenter" and with a sticker for € 50,-- from the "Guild of Master Craftsmen" he is perfect!!!!:confused:
    Solong we have no Authority which controls and restricts those "Ladds" we always will have these Cowboys in every branch and trade! And the Era of the "Celtic Tiger" created lots of greedy Cowboys who take your money and disappear afterwards.

I see many potched or bad jobs from Companies as from Individuals as well and with a system without proper Apprenticeships, Trainings and Qualifications there is no way out to get actually Quality for your money!

Kind Regards
    blackbush2000

boxerboy wrote: »
    i just got on to rock solid kitchens and asked for a quote a while back and they sent someone out to measure he was polite and friendly and didnt take long i only had to pay him 200 euro for deposit on 4000 euro kichen,i was a bit dubious after reading these comments and for a while i thought i was being ripped off,but the stuff came when they said it would and im happy, he even got someone to fit the whole kitchen for 800 euro.i had got quotes off two other cabinet makers and the two of them where 8600 and 9100. i think alot of fitters have in out for rock solid as they cant compete with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Gerardzonecom

their back this reply was dated on the 04 may 2009. listen to the mp3 and the same thing happent me but still no kotchen.

rock solid kitchens are nothing but theifs and cowboys.

stay clear Ireland they want your money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cleo1

hi, just thought i'd google the compnay after i had them out few weeks ao, so am shocked to read what has been said. I gave them a 300 euro deposit and when the builder looked at the drawings that were done they had made a haims of the design. I rang my bank to further investigate, I had made cheque payable to a J. Skelton. The cheque was cashed and my signature forged on the back!!! Anyway there is meant to be another rep coming out today to redesign the kitchen for me at 3.30, if anyone is on have they any advice. I have contacted the police in Oldham who gave me a number for trading standards there. I'm lost as to what to do,

Hi there,
    don't get just a Rep out to give you a quick quote! Take the measurements yourself and go to places like B&Q, Ikea, or Homebase. They normally will do you a drawing without charge and price your new Kitchen! Take it from there and I'm sure there are some places around your area to get qoutes as well!
    Don't rush again, you already paid once for a bad scam!!!

Regards Blackbush2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 max1mus

Hi

Just met a guy today from Rock Solid Kitchens and paid him a deposit of 300 euro for a kitchen due in 3 weeks. From reading all your blogs it looks like im doomed. Should i take a chance on this kitchen,is there any one out there with any good experience's or should i just say goodbye to my money and walk away.

Max1mus, thats what i did, or my builder suggested i take the kitchen when its delivered,tell the driver to go off for a few hours and come back when i've fully checked the kitchen. I just wrote off the 300 euro. There was no way they'd be able to give me what I wanted, I had ordered granite and all the kitchen guy did was measure the length of where it was going, only when i got proper kitchen crowd out I realised there is a hell of a lot more involved in measuring up for granite, they've to take templates and its a lot more time consuming. Rock solid are gangsters, i truely believe if something looks to good to be true then it is to good to be true. If you are in Dublin I can send you number of guy I used, got a really good price and service was good. Up to you really, but dont give them any more money until you see what you're getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 max1mus

Cleo,is it long since you ordered your kitchen off them and did you ring them to cancle it or did you wait like your builder to told you to do and check it .I have been trying to contact their sales rep since last night but to no avail,litterally 20 min after parting with my money i googled their company and boy was i sick it sent alarm bells ringing ,im such a ass.Thanks for offering me a number for your kitchen guy but i am from galway so its too far away.I got a good price off a kitchen guy down here and should have went with him, now i will have to go back to him with my tail between my legs and 300 out of pocket just proves the point YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET.

• Advertisement

max1mus I enquired about getting my deposit back some weeks after and was told I would have had to put it in writing within 7 days of giving deposit. I too tried to get hold of the original guy I dealt with, to no avail. Really it became too upsetting to deal with them, I was in the middle of an extension, I had enough stress in my life. The other guy they sent out was worse then the first, he couldnt read the drawings and he advised me to just take the kitchen and not pay for it!!! I was in tears by the time he left because at this stage I had no other kitchen sourced, he also told me that the kitchen I wanted wasnt in stock at all, it was sold out. I was even more irrate then because the only reason i went with them was because they said they had all the ex mfi stock which matched my exsisting kitchen so i would just have to add on to it. Max1mus just take heart from the fact that it was only a deposit you paid and not the entire cost of a kitchen which some have paid.

Rock Solid Kitchens of Oldham is now trading also under a new name, the old name is obviously not catchy enough any more after a good few posts about their QUALITY.

The web address is www.kitchendreamsdirect.co.uk :confused::confused::confused:
    same layout, same company, same scam!!!!

So watch out for them as well, had just an elderly couple in their seventies recently and they got scammed by one of those Rock Solid Crowd.

Blackbush2000

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Rock Solid Kitchens currently being covered on the Today with Pat Kenny.

You will be able to listen back to the show at http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/
    (coverage was at c. 11.15am, about 1h15m into the show)

This was a preview of tonight's "Buyer Beware" on RTE 1 tv
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/buyer_beware.html

Vance Miller has a wikipedia page, by the way
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vance_Miller

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭eggerb

That guy Vance "Kitchen Ganster" Miller seemed a right tosser! I'd steer well clear of anything he is involved with! What was he looking to acheive in kissing the journalist four/five times?!

mambo wrote: »
    Rock Solid Kitchens currently being covered on the Today with Pat Kenny.

You will be able to listen back to the show at http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/
    (coverage was at c. 11.15am, about 1h15m into the show)

This was a preview of tonight's "Buyer Beware" on RTE 1 tv
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/buyer_beware.html

Vance Miller has a wikipedia page, by the way
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vance_Miller
    just hope instantly people have been watching this program and stay miles away from Vance and his associates!

Advertisement