Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit - gym membership

Options
  • 25-06-2008 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

A friend of mine is a member of a gym and wants to leave. He rang them up to cancel and they said no problem but they'd have to take another 2 months direct debit from his account, and will also have to put it in writing.

Can they just claim this 2 months for nothing? - I'm not sure if there is a contract involved.

Also, It's my understanding you cannot cancel DD payments through your bank yourself, they need permission from both yourself and the receiver of the money, is this the case?

Much appreciated,
    Cionád

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Any gym I have ever joined has had a minimum membership of 12 months, which I have had to sign, so think that they are in their right if he is breaking the contract early.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The contract originally signed most likely have a two month cancellation period that comes in effect after the original 12 months (most Irish gyms appears to run with that clause).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Call into your bank branch, cancel the direct debit and tell the Gym to f*ck off

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

craichoe wrote: »
    Call into your bank branch, cancel the direct debit and tell the Gym to f*ck off

well that's not very good advice. i'm thinking this is jackie skelly fitness, am i right? this isn't the first time this has popped up.

it's in the contract he agreed to that he had to give 2 months notice so if he refuses to pay it they can send debt collectors after him.

how about he goes for an extra 2 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

OK, he joined in June last year so the 2 month cancellation period is probably the issue i'd say. There was a contract but he hasn't had a look at it yet.

Think its Jacky Skellys alrite, 60 euro a month :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

If you want to cancel a direct debit
    In the direct debit you have authorised your bank to pay amounts from your account. Accordingly, if you want to cancel, you should notify your own bank. It is a good idea to also notify the payee also.
    If the Direct Debit relates to monthly subscriptions of an annual contract (the typical case is your gym subscription) the payee may tell you that you cannot cancel the Direct Debit. This is not correct - you can cancel. But if you do, you may find that you are still liable for payments under your annual contract, and the payee may chase you for payment by another means.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And yet if it was the other way round and they broke the agreement or took money on him people would be up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Ehh, bad advice, Jackie Skelly will send the debt collectors after you and they will get alot more than 2 months membership for their time.

Advertisement