Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiatus Hernia

Options
  • 25-06-2008 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just been diagnosed with this.

Was missed by a scope exam, but a barium swallow showed it.
    Now explains why I cant swallow properly and why I have in the past, lost conciousness after drinking water.
    Does anyone else have one of these? If so, what do you do to reduce its effects? The chest blockage feeling etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sarahbrennan

I also was just diagnosed with this, i dont ever get a feeling of a blocked chest or trouble swallowing, just pain under my ribs and refux bla bla , the usual , ill keep an eye on this thread in case anyone else has any advise about a suitable diet and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Happy121

wine is a killer, in fact most things will annoy you eventually. After 6 years mine twisted and pushed through the chest leaving a large half ball sticking out. I had an emergency operation to have it popped back in before it became a problem. No problems with it since but I cannot lift much without the fear of ripping it open.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sarahbrennan

yes wine definately makes me extemely ill, im only 19 and i was just recently diagnosed so im still trying to adjust to it. Lifting things and bending is a part of my work so i think its more of a problem avoiding that then changing my diet.... Seriously considering giving up alcohol though

• Registered Users Posts: 34 agriffin

Suffering that last 18 years with one, i agree with you ernie ah on the eating part not very nice feeling when your food wont go into your stomach and gets stuck. got used to the chest pains, used to get worried about them when i didnt know what was wrong.
    I was put on nexium and was told i would be on for them good:( used to go to the hospital every few months but every time it was a different doctor looking at my file for the first time so i gave up going.
    Just stayed on the nexium ever since but could do without the side effects.
    what diagnoses have anyone here gotten.

Advertisement