Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what apples?

Options
  • 25-06-2008 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

what apples give the best tasty and strong home brew cider?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

There are specific cider apple, but i don't think they are commercially available or grown much

You can use a good desert apple with a little cooking or bitter one to blance the sweetness and prove some tannins. Also some people add a little crap apple for the same effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

all the hardware is orderd or bought already. all we need is the apples and we're off the ground.

Keep us posted on how you get on and a few pic's are more then welcome over on Irish craft brewer :)

Also if you fall short in the volume of juice/must you can top up with some apple juice, just check it has not preservatives in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

thanks for the that tip. we're hoping to brew about 3 gallons in the first brew then same again a few weeks later. if we feel its going well we'll do more.

I also forgot to add that any ale will do they job:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

whitser wrote: »
    all the hardware is orderd or bought already. all we need is the apples and we're off the ground.

Can you give me an idea of what you needed and what it cost. I used to do wine and beer 5+ years ago, but always had a fancy for trying cider. I've also now got an orchard, so if it's not too expensive I might have a go.

Sorry my last post should read "I also forgot to add that any ale yeast will do they job":o

Advertisement