Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Statistically best peno stopper in the world?

• 25-06-2008 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a site/article that has studied this? Just got me wondering, reading about Buffon yesterday in the Metro or the other free one, IIRC since the world cup he has had 19 penalties to deal with, of which he saved three? (figures may be entirely wrong, cant remember exactly)

Just wondering if anyone has a link to an article which assessed who is the most successful shot stopper in Europe at least (in terms of shots taken against vs the amount saved)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Dudek :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Liverpool fans will say Reina, even if it isn't, they will make an argument to say it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

DesF wrote: »
    Liverpool fans will say Reina, even if it isn't, they will make an argument to say it is.

I have no idea who is statistically the best, most likely isnt Reina! It could well be some number 3 keeper who has faced and saved 1 peno, hence it being 100%

I do know Reina has a fantastic record with penos though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I really think Reina is the best penalty stopper in the world, its nothing to do with having my red tinted glasses on. He is just phenomenal at stopping them though, if only other parts of his game were as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i recall cudicini has a great record as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Melion wrote: »
    I really think Reina is the best penalty stopper in the world, its nothing to do with having my red tinted glasses on.

No I'm sure it has to do with your knowledge of every other 'keeper in the world. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Tusky wrote: »
    who has faced and saved 1 peno, hence it being 100%

Niall Quinn ftw

Linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Reina. I'll make an argument if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Ricardo is good at peno's generally. Don't reckon he'd be up there with the very best though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

And some Eircom League chap will try to say its Dan Connor or Micky Devine or some other keeper in the national pub league, its inevitavble on this forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

doesnt Robert Green have a very good saving rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Dida was usually pretty good I remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Dave Seaman

Nial Quinn ? ?

More seriously , Brad Friedel .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Reina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Van Der Sar honestly has a very good record. he would deffo be up there

ill have a look around to see if there are any sites that have definitive info on this stuff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd say, as dodgy as he is in general play, Dida is streets ahead of the rest as a peno stopper.

I remember in the late 90's when he was at Villa Bosnich had a crazy record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Friedel is a very good at saving penalties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Rob Green

David Seaman was awful good at stopping peno's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Does David James not have a good record at saving penalties.

Joe Murphy's first action in the premiership was to save a Michael Owen penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in the 04-05 season for VillaReal, Reina saved 7 out of 9 penalties he faced. thats pretty ****ing impressive watever way you look at it.

he has also shone in the two penalty shootouts he has been involved in while at Liverpool against Chelsea in the CL semi final and WestHam in the FA cup final.

off the top of my head i can remember 2 penalties he faced last season, he saved one.

Palop of Seville and the current Turkan goalie Volkan (sp?) IIRC both have good records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

And some Eircom League chap will try to say its Dan Connor or Micky Devine or some other keeper in the national pub league, its inevitavble on this forum

Ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Those of you of a certain age might remember Paul Cooper of Ipswich Town. He was awesome with penalties. He saved eight out of ten in a season in the late seventies. The old Division One.

cooper_paul_0001.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Carlo Cudicini's overall record is above 50%. Very solid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Seaneh wrote: »
    I remember in the late 90's when he was at Villa Bosnich had a crazy record.

+1

I'm a Villa fan and I agree that Bosnich was an amazing at saving penalties. He saved 2 penos in the same game against Spurs, he saved 4 penos in the 94 League Cup semi's verse Tranmere and went on to save a further 6 penos in the league that season (93/94). Cracking record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Statistically in England, the best penalty stopper is Mark Crossley - formerly of Forest, Boro and Fulham.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,626782,00.html

As a Forest fan i can remember him making several outstanding saves, in particular the ones against Gary Lineker in the '91 Cup Final, Teddy Sheringham in the '96 FA Cup 5th round, not to mention the 5 penalties he saved in our last Premiership season of '98-'99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

grenache wrote: »
    Statistically in England, the best penalty stopper is Mark Crossley - formerly of Forest, Boro and Fulham.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,626782,00.html

do you have any other keepers ratio as that doesnt actually say he is the best in england.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Call_me_al wrote: »
    do you have any other keepers ratio as that doesnt actually say he is the best in england.
    It says he was/is the best in the Premiership, therefore he is, by default, the best in England - since he was playing at the highest level against the best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

grenache wrote: »
    It says he was/is the best in the Premiership, therefore he is, by default, the best in England - since he was playing at the highest level against the best players.

dunno about that. first of all there are probably better penalty savers in other divisions then some of the top flight keepers, they're just not as good all round.

Secondly im not sure how much of a difference there is between someone's penalty in the top flight V a lesser league. I've seen plenty of top flight takers miss the target, and plenty of lower division takers hit the target. On other aspects of the game, yeah the premiership players are all in all the better ones, but penalties is a whole different ball game, so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Predhead wrote: »
    No I'm sure it has to do with your knowledge of every other 'keeper in the world. :rolleyes:

Just as comprehensive as yours no doubt..

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

doesnt Robert Green have a very good saving rate?
    He has for West Ham but I remember when he was on Soccer AM this year he said he had an woefull record for previous clubs such as Norwich. Van De Sar has to be up there IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

JMB88 wrote: »
    He has for West Ham but I remember when he was on Soccer AM this year he said he had an woefull record for previous clubs such as Norwich. Van De Sar has to be up there IMO.

Man U fan by any chance???

One of the first names that i thought of was Bosnich from when he was good in the early 90's.
    Green as well with West Ham, but I am constantly being told by a friend who supports WH that he is the best keeper in the league so I have kinda grown to dislike Green, just because I always have to listen to shite about him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

tommy sorensen was the only man to ever save an alan shearer penalty iirc

and he did it twice

• Advertisement

similar to Crossley and LeTissier iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

crossley was a bloody good peno stopper actually

sure was

Advertisement