Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Least favourite gaming conventions

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Boss fights in FPS games. Unless you are Retro Studios doing a Metroid Prime game they just don't work so don't bother. Also they never fit into the usual settings of the games they are usually shoe horned into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Rascaduanok

Well! You folk seem to have mentioned most of the ones I dislike. I’ll add what people generally refer to as ‘Fed–Ex Quests’! A seeming staple of RPGs, you have to fetch and carry all sorts of mundane and trivial crap for lazy–arsed sods (who can’t do anything for themselves) in order to advance the plot, or fulfil some side mission.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You're part of a massive group of elite marines who are armed to the teeth with massive weapons. All of a sudden something happens down that dark corridor and one of the marines turns to you and says "You go check that out and we'll wait here and secure the entrance".

They never fúcking come, they always stay behind. Fúckin' pussies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

L31mr0d wrote: »
    wooden doors that have ronseals 5 year explosive proof varnish on them. If my bullets can knock chunks off concrete pillars I should be able to drop a grenade beside a flimsy door and blow it off its hindges rather than having to scout around dead bodies and peoples desks looking for that red/yellow/green/blue key/keycard

Funnily enough, Crusader:no remorse, a game well over 10 years old, would allow you to blow open any door with a grenade launcher, bar extremely heavy blast doors, granted it set off an alarm, but it did cut down on looking for poxy key cards at times.

That game also had destructible glass amongst other things AND remote control spider bombs, you could set people on fire and shoot civillians.

Things many more modern games released afterwards lacked....:rolleyes:
    Hell it even had dacent cut scenes that didn't drag on for half an hour and a dacent enough trashy sci/fi story going.

What really annoys me in games, PC games in particular: sloppy,over complicated controls.
    You should not have to dislocate the fingers on one hand to climb over a box. Resi 4 got it right, a context sensitive button. Granted very simple, but bloody effective.

Hop over fence:green button
    Knock ladder over while zombie climbing up: green button.
    Open door:green button.
    Kick door open, hitting zombie on the otherside in the face:double tap green button....

Hidden and Dangerous games. Worst set of controls ever, hard to climb a ladder. hard to pick up weapons etc.
    Operation flashpoint,while a good game was a pain in the ring as well. Controls could have been much simplier.
    Why do developers insist on making basic in game actions hard to do?

Hopping a wall, picking up things off the ground, climbing etc should all be instinctive.

TBH, Assassins creed, while a horribly repetitive game, the controls were spot on. Easy to climb, easy to ride a horse, easy to stab people in the face etc...

Which reminds me...
    How come most games that feature horse riding in them(oblivion and two worlds i am looking at you), do such a terrible bad job of it?
    Assassins creed got it right, Zelda got it right.
    Trying to turn your horse shouldn't feel slower than try to turn a river barge! (Two worlds)
    And really how come most games won't let you have a spear on horse back, hell oblivion wouldn't let you attack from the saddle, you had to get off your horse!

If you are on horse back you should be able to trample people, run them through with a big FOAD Spear. You can always counter act the advantages of horses by doing what assassins creed did: in group combat, some sneaky gurad would come up behind you and hamstring the horse knocking you off if you stopped moving and were surrounded.

Why bother including horses in a game if you just won't do it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Speaking of horses, I can't stand the way in MMO's that you have to be level 40 upwards to ride a horse. Why can't you just ride a horse from the start and with practice you get better and unlock skills (ie being able to attack from the horse, or jump, or ride faster)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You're part of a massive group of elite marines who are armed to the teeth with massive weapons. All of a sudden something happens down that dark corridor and one of the marines turns to you and says "You go check that out and we'll wait here and secure the entrance".

They never fúcking come, they always stay behind. Fúckin' pussies.
    It's called "Hazing the new guy".

Advertisement