Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My beautiful dog... gone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

So sorry about your dog, sadly there is a risk with any anesthetic. Even if you hadn't had her spayed she would of had to have an anesthetic at some stage in her life as dogs always get themselves into some sort of bother be it an injured paw or having to have work dental work carried out as they get older, or if she wasn't spayed and had pups (accidently) there would of been a risk with that also she could of had complications in the delivery and had to have an anesthetic because of it. It was just unlucky but very very sad because from your posts she sounded like she was a sweet dog and it's very understandable that you miss her so much. No other dog could replace her however in time it does get easier and there are so many pooches out there desperate for an owner who cares so much.

Get close to any animal or human and automatically there is a chance you could loose someone you care about, that's how life is and it can be unfair esp. if someone is taken away too soon.

To some people they love their animal as much as someone loves a child, and I think it would be unfair to say that someone wouldn't have the right to love their pet as someone loves their child it's not up to anyone to tell someone else how they feel in that ragard. Some peoples pets are their world.

We have had many pets come and go and all are missed but one particular pet that died was very special to us and her loss was as devastating as if we had lost a child and I feel as a parent I have a right to say that. She was like the elder child and she was the world to us before our human child came along so why would our feelings change for that animal. We still think about her and will never forget her she was just special to us.

Re Rodney Trotters post you can have a dozen tragedys but that doesn't make the loss of an animal any the easier. We have had terrible losses in our lives but that still didn't make the loss of our pet any easier. Some people have enough care and consideration to go around. None of us have the right to tell someone else how to feel.

This might sound corny but if she is buried near you do get a really nice tree, shrub or plant and mark her grave side it does help wether you are religious or not.

If you still feel down you should talk to someone, I believe there is pet bereavement counciling if you need it, should be in the book if there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

l'm heartsore after reading Sallys story, and really do feel for you.
    You're mind will have lots of images of her l'm sure,so
    keep remembering her and keep seeing her in her
    favorite places,and hopefully in time you'll smile at one.
    The way you feel right now,you might think it will never
    happen,but l reckon it will.
    Have you inquired at the shelter whether they took
    a photo of her,sometimes they do,you never know.

Beerwolf Did you check the shelter you got Sally from????
    Did they have a picture????
    Let us know Please,cause (hope l speak for all here)
    We are intrested.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Crap happens. A dog died on the operating table, that's all. Get another pup, a different breed, and take it from there.

Considering the nature of this thread that is an appallingly insensitive comment.

Also why do you presume someone that mourns their dog has not ever experienced any other tragedy in their lives?

Beerwolf - How are you doing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

~Thalia~ wrote: »
    Also why do you presume someone that mourns their dog has not ever experienced any other tragedy in their lives?
    ................?

I presumed nothing of the sort.

Someone who treats an animal like a person, or grieves one like a person, has a problem and needs help. Putting things into perspective, the loss of an animal is not a major event in one's life and should not be. If one is so affected, one needs help, urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭fits

Someone who treats an animal like a person, or grieves one like a person, has a problem and needs help. Putting things into perspective, the loss of an animal is not a major event in one's life and should not be. If one is so affected, one needs help, urgently.

And that is your outlook. Which you wouldn't attempt to force on others of course :rolleyes:

As I said before, people cant help how they feel. And they shouldnt have to apologise for it to the likes of you.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    And that is your outlook. Which you wouldn't attempt to force on others of course :rolleyes:

I assume this is you trying to be sarcastic? (Last time I looked, I was allowed an opinion.)

As I said before, people cant help how they feel..............

Well, in fact, people can help it, and change it, as I suggested.

..... And they shouldnt [sic] have to apologise for it to the likes of you.

Who said anyone had to apologise to me? Certainly, I didn't.

:rolleyes:

l think you are the one with the problem,
    if that was your opinion and you had a shred of decency
    (for Human or Animal) you should have kept your
    unintelligent comment to yourself.
    l bet dogs walk around you instead of past you in the street.
    You are one of those people who reinforce the well
    known saying.."The more people l Meet The More l Love
    My Dog"
    Trott on to a thread where you can actually be helpful
    if thats possible.:mad:

:rolleyes:

l think you are the one with the problem,
    if that was your opinion and you had a shred of decency
    (for Human or Animal) you should have kept your
    unintelligent comment to yourself.
    l bet dogs walk around you instead of past you in the street.
    You are one of those people who reinforce the well
    known saying.."The more people l Meet The More l Love
    My Dog"
    Trott [sic]on to a thread where you can actually be helpful
    if thats [sic] possible.:mad:

Ah, another personal insult.

Do you feel better, now, you've got that out of your system?

Look, again, at what I've posted, and tell me what I posted that's false.

(And keep your insults to yourself. They say a hell of a lot more about you, than me.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Ah, another personal insult.

Do you feel better, now, you've got that out of your system?

Look, again, at what I've posted, and tell me what I posted that's false.

(And keep your insults to yourself. They say a hell of a lot more about you, than me.)

What are you even doing here on the animals forum if you don't like animals? Any of the other people who reply here love their pets as I do myself and frankly I feel insulted by your attitude as do many others here. If you've only got smart ar*e comments to make nobody around here wants to here them or your opinions for that matter.
    O.P. sorry for your lose I know how you feel.

lts a pity "The Mods" can't erase all the posts from
    Rodney Rotter,
    because l don't think they are the type of thing
    Beerwolf should see when he checks back in.
    Pointless and Unproductive and of no help to
    Beerwolf at all.
    He has admitted he is Depressed so really those
    posts will only depress him more.
    That includes This Post Mods, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

lts a pity "The Mods" can't erase all the posts from
    Rodney Rotter,
    because l don't think they are the type of thing
    Beerwolf should see when he checks back in.
    Pointless and Unproductive and of no help to
    Beerwolf at all.
    He has admitted he is Depressed so really those
    posts will only depress him more.

Good idea, these type of idiots should be banned from forums if they've a history of upsetting people like this clown has.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

jaysus,what a sad childhood you must have had,ah well its probably not your fault.

greatgoal wrote: »
    jaysus,what a sad childhood you must have had,ah well its probably not your fault.

Oh dear,
    now you will most likely be accused of being patronising.
    l think this person is only posting here to get a reaction
    and we are probley feeding his appetite.
    Which is why l didn't respond to his response of my
    post, it is better to bite your tongue when dealing with people like him.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

People please don't entertain Rodney Trotter's comments in this thread... Maybe it would be better to move them to another thread that the likes of Beerwolf doesn't have to look at. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Sorry for your loss, Beerwolf

I lost my cat in Feb 2007, had him since a kitten and he was just less than 4 years old when knocked over by a car. I have moved on but still really miss the little lad.

Pets do lend something to your life, no doubt about it.

"Rodney Trotter" is a twit, don't bother letting him demean your feelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Remember this is a normal proceedure that is carried out on thousands of dogs a year and their was no way that it was your fault. It was a freak occurance and a sad event, you are not to blame, it's just one of those horrible things life throws at you. remember all the good things about her, and be glad that for some of the short time she was appointed here on this earth. she was with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

As some one who has lost my only brother & many of my lovely pets - I understand the pain that is felt - I adore all my many critters & had a cry yesterday over a cat I lost a few months back now - just as I often cry for my lost brother who died almost 5 years ago.

Anyone who says that losing a pet is nothing like losing a family member is very uncaring! The pain from losing both is very strong & constant in your heart. They may not be human but they are part of the family!

OP please try to stay strong - the death was NOT your fault! I lost my baby girl Tammy after an operation to remove her leg - I understand your guilt but all you were trying to do was the best for your pet. Talk to a friend or even the Samaritans about your feelings, please do not do anything stupid.

Callous folks like Rodney Trotter are not welcome around here! The OP needs support not snide comments! You can not see into his heart or feel his pain - so back off!

As the old saying goes if you can't say something nice - say nothing at all!

Mr Trotter is taking a break from this forum - he can pm in a few weeks & I may let him back in - depends on my mood & his attitude!

Beerwolf,
    l think you are still letting go of George while Hankering
    after Sally,
    PLEASE message me and l will talk to you about the two of them.
    They took over part of your soul and that's why you can't let go.
    Let them both go Beerwolf, their wish for you would be
    SAVE ANOTHER ONE.
    People do care about you as much as you cared about
    your two Soulmates.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I am so sorry to hear about sally and I feel your pain I hope this story will be of some comfort to you.

I lost my sweet bonnie 2 yrs ago two weeks after an anesthetic but without the op she would have died of an infection in her tooth.It was a hard choice for my to make as I was told when she was 3 weeks old that a swelling in her brain would always be high risk under anesthetic. I let her have one litter which she struggled giving birth to then made the painful choice in having her neutered she came out of it fine and lived a full and happy life for 7 yrs until 2 yrs ago. But it broke my heart to watch her struggle after her op she just couldn't fight it off and needed a bone marrow transplant which they can't do in cats because their bones are too small so when I seen she couldn't fight any longer I had her put to sleep in my arms. I didn't leave my bed for 3 days and swore I would not take in anymore animals when I got a knock on the door to rescue a mam and three Kittens I told them to find someone else and only worried about them all night and pulled myself together the next day and went and got them mammy was so strong she didn't let down her guard till it was two late and died of blood poisoning a bone she had swollowed so small that x-rays could barley pick it up, again I swore I just couldn't keep doing this and again as heart broken as I was I was asked to take in a mammy and 4 babies They were so flea ridden and very malnourished I didn't think they would survive in my care even with the help of my vets (they are the best in the world) But they pulled through and are now nearly 2 yrs old and I don't regret a minute that I tuck them in as much as it's hard to find a spot on the bed sometimes. I now accept that no matter how hard I try I can't save them all or predict when things will go wrong all I can do is love them and give them the care that they deserve. I ask myself now what if I hadn't taken them in would they of survived on their own?I am now going to try to open a shelter of my own as I need help more than ever and you are welcome to come and visit and share some happy times with my pets until you feel ready to let another pet into your live.You can pm me if you want to talk I promise I will listen and I hope you will see your doc too, they are their to help.

You see when you have a big heart like yours it hurts all the more but now you are getting a chance to use it again, so don't be afraid to help another dog who might with out you not know what love is until you come along and show them.

My thoughts are with you.

I am so sorry to hear about sally and I feel your pain I hope this story will be of some comfort to you.

I lost my sweet bonnie 2 yrs ago two weeks after an anesthetic but without the op she would have died of an infection in her tooth.It was a hard choice for my to make as I was told when she was 3 weeks old that a swelling in her brain would always be high risk under anesthetic. I let her have one litter which she struggled giving birth to then made the painful choice in having her neutered she came out of it fine and lived a full and happy life for 7 yrs until 2 yrs ago. But it broke my heart to watch her struggle after her op she just couldn't fight it off and needed a bone marrow transplant which they can't do in cats because their bones are too small so when I seen she couldn't fight any longer I had her put to sleep in my arms. I didn't leave my bed for 3 days and swore I would not take in anymore animals when I got a knock on the door to rescue a mam and three Kittens I told them to find someone else and only worried about them all night and pulled myself together the next day and went and got them mammy was so strong she didn't let down her guard till it was two late and died of blood poisoning a bone she had swollowed so small that x-rays could barley pick it up, again I swore I just couldn't keep doing this and again as heart broken as I was I was asked to take in a mammy and 4 babies They were so flea ridden and very malnourished I didn't think they would survive in my care even with the help of my vets (they are the best in the world) But they pulled through and are now nearly 2 yrs old and I don't regret a minute that I tuck them in as much as it's hard to find a spot on the bed sometimes. I now accept that no matter how hard I try I can't save them all or predict when things will go wrong all I can do is love them and give them the care that they deserve. I ask myself now what if I hadn't taken them in would they of survived on their own?I am now going to try to open a shelter of my own as I need help more than ever and you are welcome to come and visit and share some happy times with my pets until you feel ready to let another pet into your live.You can pm me if you want to talk I promise I will listen and I hope you will see your doc too, they are their to help.

You see when you have a big heart like yours it hurts all the more but now you are getting a chance to use it again, so don't be afraid to help another dog who might with out you not know what love is until you come along and show them.

BlackCat l hope he listens to both of us,there are so
    many animals who need someone like BEERWOLF.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes no matter how many times I say no more - another lost soul arrives!

It seems some one has dumped a small terrified ginger kitten in the garden - we have only just spotted him & its hard to find him in the dark - I have left a cat carrier outside with food in it & hope he calms down a bit.

I am sure he will move right in! Eventhou I said no more when Carrot, Tammy & Bramble died - there is always room for 1 more fluffy cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Wonderful post, well done you.

Thank you sharpshooterH I think you are right and a good heart light beerwolfs shouldn't go to waste. I hope he is listening to and understanding that he has alot of good and suportive friends on this thread who will help him with his grief and sure in his joy when he finds a new companion.

Thank you bond-007 if you are still there try bringing your most talkative cat into the garden with you the kitten might come out when he hears him and you can grab him then. It has worked for me in the past just move slowly and show him you are not a treat by rubbing your own cat and making sure he sees you doing it. Shame on poeple who dump these animals. Good luck and let me know how it went.

Thank you to clare bear.

I hope you will all befriend him. I have tried but I'm not sure if it got trough to him.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Yes no matter how many times I say no more - another lost soul arrives!

It seems some one has dumped a small terrified ginger kitten in the garden - we have only just spotted him & its hard to find him in the dark - I have left a cat carrier outside with food in it & hope he calms down a bit.

I am sure he will move right in! Eventhou I said no more when Carrot, Tammy & Bramble died - there is always room for 1 more fluffy cat.

Keep up the good work in your rescuing I wish there was no need for people like you and me and pounds and shelters but It's a sad fact that 20yrs ago we struggled here in Ireland to feed and cloth ourselves now that the country is flooded with money they can't afford to make a call never mind put their hand in their pocket to help out those most venerable the homeless, the children and the animals. Since when did a phone call become so expenice and out of reach.

Oh dear,
    now you will most likely be accused of being patronising.
    l think this person is only posting here to get a reaction
    and we are probley feeding his appetite.
    Which is why l didn't respond to his response of my
    post, it is better to bite your tongue when dealing with people like him.:mad:
    ah,its just me getting annoyed with this person,anyway beerwolf,so sorry for your loss as i know exactly how youre feeling,having suffered the loss of my dog 4 years ago,its a terrible shock to the system emotionally,but i have to say,in time,it gets better,just remember all the happiness that your dog gave you ,and totally ignore insensitive persons,as i should have done.

ah,its just me getting annoyed with this person,anyway beerwolf,so sorry for your loss as i know exactly how youre feeling,having suffered the loss of my dog 4 years ago,its a terrible shock to the system emotionally,but i have to say,in time,it gets better,just remember all the happiness that your dog gave you ,and totally ignore insensitive persons,as i should have done.

I'm new to these boards but so far he seems to be getting to me on a number of treads not just this one. I'm am outraged at he's coments and fare play to you for trying to put a stop to him.From what I can see he's been put of and if not everyone is ignoring him anyway. Lets say no more about him the rest of us only have one goal and that is to help beerwolf right now.

I'm new to these boards but so far he seems to be getting to me on a number of treads not just this one. I'm am outraged at he's coments and fare play to you for trying to put a stop to him.From what I can see he's been put of and if not everyone is ignoring him anyway. Lets say no more about him the rest of us only have one goal and that is to help beerwolf right now.
    cheers blackcat and yes,this more importantly,is about somebody elses grief and feelings.

cheers blackcat and yes,this more importantly,is about somebody elses grief and feelings.

I agree .

How are you doing today Beerwolf Hope things are looking up for you. You sure have alot of friends and support on this tread/forum it's nice to know I am not the only one who feels this way when I lose apart of my family. Get yourself some fresh air and get plenty of sleep that always help me feel better and see a new day in a new light.Don,t give up their are plenty of animals out their who deserve your love and care just like George and Sally and it would mean the world for them to feel safe and loved.

Keep on trekking for their sake but most importantly for yourself Hope to hear from you soon.

Sharpshooter checking in to let you know l am still
    thinking of you,
    and hopeing you will take heed of all the post's supporting you.
    We would like to hear from you again, mabey sitting at your computer with a (Grateful Dog) at you'r feet.
    You can save a dog's life ,
    Think about it, Please.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Jessieannas

Its not your fault. You did not know this would happen. A simple prcedure gone wrong is a tragedy. RIP

Advertisement