Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rude & Abusive Taxi Driver

• 25-06-2008 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all. I firstly want to put out the word on this man and also to ask whether any of you have been in a similar situation.

I hailed a taxi yesterday evening at 5.30pm to take me from work (Dublin 4 area) to Griffith College (Dublin 8) where I am a student for my 6pm class. As I only attend on Tuesdays and don't drive to work and have a half hour window to make it on time, it makes sense for me to get a taxi outside my work.

I got into this taxi and told the driver where I was going. In between general weather chit chat, he asked me if I worked for a particular company whose offices were across from where he picked me up. I replied no, that I work in another office in the area (wasn't going to tell him exactly WHERE though!). I then conversationally mentioned a minute later that I had a specific way I would go to avoid missing my class once we got to the top of the road we were on and I would direct him from there as I didn't 100% know the names of all of the streets (a perfectly legal route, just a shortcut to avoid traffic and an exhorbitant fee which was pointed out to me by a lovely taxi driver a few months back). The moment I said this, the atmosphere changed which I felt but kept quiet.

We got to the top of the street and I asked him to do a right then sharp left rather than follow round to the left. He shouted at me 'you do not tell me which way we are going, I do tell YOU which route we are taking, ok. It is the law'. This was said in a very menancing tone. I was shocked and then angered at the way he was treating me and asked him if he was trying to say to me that he was going to force me to go a route I didn't want to go. He said he didn't like my tone and the way I was speaking to him and told me to get out of the car (in my defence, I am a polite, chatty girl and I make a point of saying please and thank you). I replied that it was infact he who had the attitude particularly since I mentioned that I had a route I liked to take. He continued shouting at me and told me to get out again (I was gathering my jacket and bag at the time and taking off the seatbelt).

I got out and took a mental note of his number. He then proceeded to do a swift u-turn on this tiny street and almost hit me in the process.

He drove a navy coloured, really old car (the door was practically hanging off) and I have his number but not sure of the implications of naming and shaming him here.

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

A Taxi Driver thread in AH? I'll get the next one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

So...you didn't have to pay? Sweet.

Naming and shaming here could lead to yet another lawsuit, and would be a waste of time. File a complaint with the proper authorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

a dublin taxi driver thread in ah??? etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Dont know what naming and shaming would do here. But I would report him to the taxi regulator

As far as I am aware they should be taking you anyway you want regardless of what thye think is best.

It actually says on the taxiregulator site its their respoanabilty to Follow direction or route chosen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I want to see a thread from a taxi driver about all the rude & abusive passengers that they have to put up with every bleedin' day of the week.

Anyway OP - What's the point of this thread? If you have a gripe about the taxi driver - get onto the Regulator. Do you really think that you'll get satisfaction in AH? ROFL!

Students getting taxis - whatever next?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

if you got his license number call the carriage office just for his attitude alone. not sure on the "i tell you what way to go" law here but still his attitude sucked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Who'd like hot butter with their pop corn for this one?..

OP, report the driver to the Taxi Regulator. But be prepared to give evidence and be cross examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Abused? Why are women so quick to use that word?

Anyway, noone cares. Go tell the people who might.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Taxi Regulator is the way to go.

Unless he looks like this, then I would reconsider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Contact the regulator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

From the Taxi Regulator FAQ's:

Can i request which route to take?

Yes. As a consumer you are entitled to choose the route to take. If the Taxi driver suggests another way then you are entitled to take control of the wheel by any means nessessary.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Yes. As a consumer you are entitled to choose the route to take. If the Taxi driver suggests another way then you are entitled to take control of the wheel by any means nessessary.

tea came out my nose

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Chipnick

Thanks for the links though I have rang the number several times to no avail.

Chipnick wrote: »
    Thanks for the links though I have rang the number several times to no avail.
    OMG what ever will you do?

Ring back in about half an hour, perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

more seriously:

As a customer, it is your right to:

* Direct the destination and route taken;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Was his name Travis Bickle by any chance? I'd keep clear from the likes of him! :eek:

you will need a copy of the reciept
    do you have it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

• Advertisement

Careful guys, don't want to get too technical, she's still trying to figure out what to do when you make a call and noone answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ah roffle.... Just brightened up a very boring afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I want to see a thread from a taxi driver about all the rude & abusive passengers that they have to put up with every bleedin' day of the week.

Anyway OP - What's the point of this thread? If you have a gripe about the taxi driver - get onto the Regulator. Do you really think that you'll get satisfaction in AH? ROFL!

Students getting taxis - whatever next?!
    Judging by that response Hill Billy Im gonna hazard a guess say your a taxidriver??
    rude & abusive passengers that they have to put up with every bleedin' day of the week
    Didnt you mean to say "customers"...the same ones that pay a taxi drivers salary?
    Do you really think that you'll get satisfaction in AH?
    maybe a similar sense of satisfaction to the bitter cabbies that park thier asses outside Spar on Baggot St and whinge about how its not fair having to deal with competition??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Lawl! :D

Clytus wrote: »
    Judging by that response Hill Billy Im gonna hazard a guess say your a taxidriver??
    Whatever gave you that impression? Just because I pointed out that passengers can be fcuking twats too?
    Null points. Try again.

@ The Scientist - I'm still píssing myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I got into this taxi and told the driver where I was going. In between general weather chit chat, he asked me if I worked for a particular company whose offices were across from where he picked me up. I replied no, that I work in another office in the area (wasn't going to tell him exactly WHERE though!).

Then how were you going to get to the right place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Terry wrote: »
    Then how were you going to get to the right place?

Read it again. She wasn't telling him the offices she just left. Not where she was going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hi all. I firstly want to put out the word on this man and also to ask whether any of you have been in a similar situation.

I hailed a taxi yesterday evening at 5.30pm to take me from work (Dublin 4 area) to Griffith College (Dublin 8) where I am a student for my 6pm class. As I only attend on Tuesdays and don't drive to work and have a half hour window to make it on time, it makes sense for me to get a taxi outside my work.

I got into this taxi and told the driver where I was going. In between general weather chit chat, he asked me if I worked for a particular company whose offices were across from where he picked me up. I replied no, that I work in another office in the area (wasn't going to tell him exactly WHERE though!). I then conversationally mentioned a minute later that I had a specific way I would go to avoid missing my class once we got to the top of the road we were on and I would direct him from there as I didn't 100% know the names of all of the streets (a perfectly legal route, just a shortcut to avoid traffic and an exhorbitant fee which was pointed out to me by a lovely taxi driver a few months back). The moment I said this, the atmosphere changed which I felt but kept quiet.

We got to the top of the street and I asked him to do a right then sharp left rather than follow round to the left. He shouted at me 'you do not tell me which way we are going, I do tell YOU which route we are taking, ok. It is the law'. This was said in a very menancing tone. I was shocked and then angered at the way he was treating me and asked him if he was trying to say to me that he was going to force me to go a route I didn't want to go. He said he didn't like my tone and the way I was speaking to him and told me to get out of the car (in my defence, I am a polite, chatty girl and I make a point of saying please and thank you). I replied that it was infact he who had the attitude particularly since I mentioned that I had a route I liked to take. He continued shouting at me and told me to get out again (I was gathering my jacket and bag at the time and taking off the seatbelt).
    I got out and took a mental note of his number. He then proceeded to do a swift u-turn on this tiny street and almost hit me in the process.
    He drove a navy coloured, really old car (the door was practically hanging off) and I have his number but not sure of the implications of naming and shaming him here.
    Thanks for reading :)

Try http://www.blogger.com or get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Whatever gave you that impression? Just because I pointed out that passengers can be fcuking twats too?

Indeed :rolleyes: - but if you dont like being a taxi pack it in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Rb wrote: »
    Abused? Why are women so quick to use that word?

Anyway, noone cares. Go tell the people who might.
    OMG what ever will you do?

Ring back in about half an hour, perhaps?
    Careful guys, don't want to get too technical, she's still trying to figure out what to do when you make a call and noone answers.

You are really coming across as an asshole and a bully on this one Rb, if your not interested just dont respond.

there is no need to be nasty for no reason

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

kryogen wrote: »
    You are really coming across as an asshole and a bully on this one Rb, if your not interested just dont respond.

Its a compulsion he has..

Ah now come on, it's not bullying, it's tough love.

stovelid wrote: »
    Try http://www.blogger.com or get a life.

Careful now.

rb: Be very careful now.

kryogen: if you take objection to another posters conduct, report the post and leave it at that. Post any more of what you have in this thread and you'll be infracted/banned.

You are really coming across as an asshole and a bully on this one

are we allowed flame again
    ??

if i type "you're really comming across" before the flame does that make it ok

is it a loophole i like loopholes

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    Its a compulsion he has..

you love him
    admit it

Quiet, you.

Back on topic...taxi...rabble...stuff...

Karoma wrote: »
    Quiet, you.

Back on topic...taxi...rabble...stuff...

sorry sir i got carried away won't happen again

anyhows
    taxis right, they are a crap job top have and the money gets worse every day with the diesel and stuff so i thinl the majority of peoples should realise that its hard to be nice all the time

that said you are allowed haggle
    the meter is a maximum permitted price for teh jounney and you can get a form to fill in to agree that you only pay a percentage of the fare
    say 85%
    boardsies shoud get them and use them

i'll gat some scans and up load tomorrow
    i used to drive a taxi but its not like i'm in a union or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

He was probably looking forward to a juicy fare from an hour sitting in the traffic going nowhere with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I have a PSV licence to drive a taxi, which i got a while back.

I was going to take it up, but soon realised that there is alot of nackers driving taxis in Urban areas.

There are however some really nice men and women driving taxis too..

Meah.. point is.. he was being an ignorant fcuking prick and deserved a "chuck norris round house kick to the head", followed by a square on kick to his nuts as he lay bleeding on the ground.

From what the OP posted it seems this arsehole has a chip on his shoulder.. or a rape case pending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

When we are on about abusive Taxi Drivers.... Reminds me about last christmas. Myself and a work collegue got a taxi from outside the clontarf castle.... work due and all that. Anyhow my work collegue was going to bray and me somewhere in between. He sat in the back and off we went. Anyhow not 200 metres down the road yer man pull in and goes "I hope you're not going to sleep in the back of my taxi...." full rant for about 2 minutes. ****in hell I thought. Hopped out and burst our sides laughing. We got good milage out of that one. Flagged another taxi and we were on out way. Some taxi drivers are just assh0les.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

ya get dick heads in all walks of like, him being an example of a taxi driver dick head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

OP, no point in trying to 'put the word out' about this guy. With the amount of taxis in operation around the city centre, a dark blue car with a dodgy door on it doesn't really narrow it down..
    No point in wasting time thinking about it anyway-forget about it - I'm sure the taxi driver has...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

do taxis still pull at the rank and drivers shout out North Side only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

+1

Give the OP a break guys, she's only looking for advice. i wish you luck. You didn't deserve to be treated like that as a customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭TheIceMaker

What the fcuk is your problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Tigger wrote: »
    sorry sir i got carried away won't happen again

anyhows
    taxis right, they are a crap job top have and the money gets worse every day with the diesel and stuff so i thinl the majority of peoples should realise that its hard to be nice all the time

that said you are allowed haggle
    the meter is a maximum permitted price for teh jounney and you can get a form to fill in to agree that you only pay a percentage of the fare
    say 85%
    boardsies shoud get them and use them

i'll gat some scans and up load tomorrow
    i used to drive a taxi but its not like i'm in a union or anything

You may haggle BEFORE the fare is accepted, but on a simple town trip expect to get booted from the cab. There is no need for the waiver form. Though it may be handy at the end of the journey to substantiate any agreement, also see next pont..

The waiver form is for any journey that you agree not to be calculated on the meter and the vehicle has to be pre booked ( note the cost may or may not be cheaper than the metered fare would have been!!)

You may have driven a taxi before but I assume that was pre Sept 2006 when the new fare/regulations came in, but I do agree at times it can be a thankless, crap job depending on how the customer perceives his previous experience with taxis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

must be a slow night RB.
    well, i think you need to take a bit of time off. take a week.
    Pm me then to get back into AH.

Indeed :rolleyes: - but if you dont like being a taxi pack it in...
    What do you not understand?
    I. Am. Not. A. Taxi. Driver.

(I typed that real slow just to be sure.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

she didn't say you're a taxi driver, she said you're a taxi. stop being a taxi!

• Advertisement
Advertisement