Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long does a one week ban usually last?

Options
  • 25-06-2008 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭

....coz i was given a 1 week ban from stand up thats into month 4/5 now (ive lost count) the reason i was banned? for mentioning a gig run by pat egan and tickety boo promotions (NOT mcd) mods thaught it was mcd so i get banned even tho i informed them it was not!

so.....should (unjust) 1 week bans really last this long?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Clue is in the question i'd have thought, no?

Anyway, did you PM any of the mods about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

PM the mod who banned you to ask to be let back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

User is to remind the mod usually.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

....coz i was given a 1 week ban from stand up thats into month 4/5 now (ive lost count) the reason i was banned?

Personally I wait until the person I banned drops me a PM reminding me that their time is up.
    Did you do that with the Mod in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Personally I wait until the person I banned drops me a PM reminding me that their time is up.
    Did you do that with the Mod in question?

yup, a week later and then 2 months after that! ah well, maybe he doesnt want to let me back because i said that i feel i shouldnt have been banned in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

That's outrageous. You should file a complaint with someone or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Name and Shame the mod, that's ridiculous.

Were you abusive in any way in the PM you sent?

As soon as the mistake was realised, the ban should have been immediately lifted.

Has the mod in question EVER replied to your PMs?

he replied to the ones were i was stating my case of how the gig wasnt mcd so i shouldnt be banned (with basically a "im not listening to you" attitude) and i havent got one since, i pm'd him AGAIN 1 second ago, so id say it should be lifted now....if not i will name and shame, i dont really want to now- don't wanna be THAT much of a pr!ck.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

yup, a week later and then 2 months after that! ah well, maybe he doesnt want to let me back because i said that i feel i shouldnt have been banned in the first place!

Was it a polite PM?
    I only ever respond to the polite ones.
    The rest I ignore.

If you wish to drop me a PM, I'll point the mod in question to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

This is the thread on which you were banned and you were banned for mentioning the venue that should not be named. Mentioning twice in fact.

I don't know but I imagine the fact that you don't understand why you were banned might be a factor in not letting you back in?

• Advertisement

he replied to the ones were i was stating my case of how the gig wasnt mcd so i shouldnt be banned (with basically a "im not listening to you" attitude) and i havent got one since, i pm'd him AGAIN 1 second ago, so id say it should be lifted now....if not i will name and shame, i dont really want to now- don't wanna be THAT much of a pr!ck.
    If you are doing that, do it in Helpdesk, not Feedback.

Or perhaps PM the CMod of Rec, I think that's WhiteWashMan, he lives in Melbourne I think, so don't expect an answer straight away.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    [this is the thread on which you were banned and you were banned for mentioning the venue that should not be named. Mentioning twice in fact.

erm i actually didnt mention it at all! i was banned for mentioning the gig i was told "x is an unmentionable gig so you are banned" when i told him it actually isnt an unmentionable one he didnt listen!

im just going to wait and see tbh, maybe this will all blow over!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

My understanding is that the gig took place in a venue owned by them. Is that not the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Earthhorse wrote: »
    This is the thread on which you were banned and you were banned for mentioning the venue that should not be named. Mentioning twice in fact.

I don't know but I imagine the fact that you don't understand why you were banned might be a factor in not letting you back in?

I didn't think venue's where banned. Surely a non *** event can be mentioned even if it is being held in a premises that usually only does *** events

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Yeah you cant mention them, any of their venues or their acts. Afaik.

Grames is a good poster in the forum usually anyway so I'd say there wont be a problem getting back in.

jsb wrote: »
    I didn't think venue's where banned. Surely a non *** event can be mentioned even if it is being held in a premises that usually only does *** events

They own some venues.

Nope.

Carpet ban on all of their stuff.

that what i thaught!

but the post in which i was banned was for mentioning the entire tour! which most certainly was NOT an *** sponsored tour!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

DesF wrote: »
    They own some venues.

I didn't know that, and I am gathering that a lot of other people aren't aware of it either, so it may warrant being people aware of this other wise people may get perma bans for things they are completly unaware of

that what i thaught!

but the post in which i was banned was for mentioning the entire tour! which most certainly was NOT an *** sponsored tour!

Some parts of the tour were in venues owned by them.

Do you understand that part?

Still though, it said a week, it's bad form for the mod to keep ignoring your requests.

• Advertisement

I didn't know that, and I am gathering that a lot of other people aren't aware of it either, so it may warrant being people aware of this other wise people may get perma bans for things they are completly unaware of

It's not up to Boards.ie to educate it's users on which venues are owned, or not, but them.

It's is up to the users to find out before they post.

It's not up to Boards.ie to educate it's users on which venues are owned, or not, but them.

It's is up to the users to find out before they post.
    That said, having the name of the venue disappear behind a shield of ******* is probably a pretty good giveaway when you submit the thread that something has gone wrong.

That said, having the name of the venue disappear behind a shield of ******* is probably a pretty good giveaway when you submit the thread that something has gone wrong.

This too.

Some parts of the tour were in venues owned by them.

Do you understand that part?

Still though, it said a week, it's bad form for the mod to keep ignoring your requests.

but thats the thing, thats as far as it went, they may have paid for the building but thats it, they had nothing to do with the tour nor did they make any money fro mit! i feel it didnt warrent a ban, obviously the mod in question did, ive made my piece with that, i just think its been too long!

thats the thing, i never once mentioned that particular venue!

cue x feedback threads asking why it was filtered.

thats the thing, i never once mentioned that particular venue!
    I didn't say you did, but you did hint at it which is usually enough to get a post deleted anyway.

but thats the thing, thats as far as it went, they may have paid for the building but thats it, they had nothing to do with the tour nor did they make any money fro mit!

So they gave the venue for free did they?

rly?
    i feel it didnt warrent a ban, obviously the mod in question did, ive made my piece with that, i just think its been to long!

Yep, I agree with this, you were told a week, the mod didn't tell you it was extended, and you PMd when you were due to be unbanned.

Do you have a copy of the PMs YOU sent in your sent items?

If so, maybe post them here, in full (but not the mod replies, not without his permission) and we can tell you if we think they were rude/abusive etc.

we can tell you if we think they were rude/abusive etc.

text is too open to interpretation tbh.

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote: »
    text is too open to interpretation tbh.

True, but still, maybe if some other people had a look and gave an opinion.

That's not to say that if the mod thinks they were offensive/rude/abusive that we should, or vice versa.

Just opinion.

grames, do you think you were rude?

Advertisement