Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Omnibus BA... course any good?

Options
  • 25-06-2008 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I'm returning to college as a mature student in Sept 09 and want to know if anyone can tell me if the Arts Omnibus course is worth a go. If not I'll probably go for English but any info from people who are doing it/have comepleted it would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Both courses are classified under the 'Arts' course. The difference between the two is that 'English' is a denominated course, meaning that you have already chosen your major for stage two and stage three, which is single major English. Link to the course content

Arts omnibus is an undenominated course meaning you enter without having chosen your major for stage two and three. You will have to choose 1 or 2 other Arts subjects in stage one to fill the extra 30 credits if you choose denominated entry or if you choose english within Arts omnibus. Usually Arts omnibus students take two subjects into year two and three, E.G: English and philosphy, or whatever you like. With denominated entry English you only have English as your major.

I believe you can apply to take English as a single subject major after stage one of Arts omnibus - if you want to try the subject out at University level, and then make up your mind whether you want to take all English modules in stage two and three.

However, if you really have an interest in English and want to focus solely on that then apply for the single major denominated entry. I'd say that entry is competitive (at the end of stage one Arts) as the points from the CAO course to take denominated English were quite high, the highest of the Arts/Humanities subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭navin.r.johnson

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Its deadly:), it gives you the chance to do something other than your main subject area, in your case English. College is what you make of it, UCD can be a riot if you put yourself out there.

Advertisement