Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant recommdations - hot date on Saturday!

Options
  • 25-06-2008 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I got a hot date on Saturday night (with my husband :D) and I was thinking of maybe going for a nice dinner beforehand, say about 7pm or so. Can anyone recommend a nice, preferably romantic, spot? In the city centre, within walking distance of Temple Bar.

I've been looking up places on the Web but I'm a bit put off. On one site it seems to list all of the eateries in the city including sandwich bars and places in the Epicurian Food Mall! Nothing wrong with these places, they're just more of a "pop in for a spot of lunch" thing, rather than a "Saturday night, get dressed up" affair.

And on another site I saw listed "Sayers" of Terenure. I know for a fact that the place hasn't existed for years! It's called Elwoods now! So, not exactly bang-uo-to-date with the information there.

Hoping to spend not much more than €100 - €120 for the meal (excluding drinks) but that would be for the two of us now. He likes Thai and Chinese and all kinds of exotic foods but I would be much less adventurous. Can anyone recommend a good spot that I could try? Ideally one that could cater to his more unusual tastes but still have chicken or steak options for me?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I eat out with friends a bit, where we each get a turn to pick a new spot. Amazing how bad many of them are. One of the best places I've been of late is Fallon and Byrnes, which should suit your taste and budget. There's a reasonable review site here. My personal favourite is the Langkawi on Baggot street, which is a bit more of a walk to Temple bar, and certainly won't be doing steak and chicken. Each to his own, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I'd suggest Eden, downstairs in Odessa can be really intimate too. HAven't been to Mermaid Cafe in a while but food was superb last time I was there. The time I ate upstairs in Fallon & Byrne I found the food poor but it was around Christmas time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Thanks for the suggestions. I was also thinking maybe Jaipur, I don't think they do "European" food but I might suck it up for the one night, it has great reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

Wasn't impressed with upstairs in Fallon & Byrnes either, expensive not great and not very comfy seats.

Both Eden and Odessa are very good, although Eden get's very warm in the evening.

Was in Peploes at the weekend and its was very good, came in at just under 140 for 3 courses including a bottle of wine (for two of us).

I've also been to Town Bar and Grill a good few times which is also very good, towards the upper end of your price range though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Chez Max, just off Dame St.
    Beautiful French Bistro, and got an amazing write up in the Irish Times a month or so ago.
    Highly recommended. THe have usual dishes, and he can go for the frogs legs or snails to be different!
    C'est tres romantique!

http://www.menupages.ie/Restaurants/Chez_Max.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Monty's of Kathmandu is a Nepalese restaurant and the food is gorgeous and the staff are very warm and friendly.They are located on one of the side-streets off Dame Street near Georges Street.

I take the other half there on special occasions when she's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

Do consider 'venu'. Staff are multinational and the lady will find them easy on the eye. They all have excellent English. (Hope that doesn't sound racist!)

http://www.ireland-guide.com/establishment/venu_brasserie.5307.html

oh - I forgot: the food is brilliant , menu VERY varied and it's not that expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Cafe Ire Temple bar is good. Relaxed atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Noble House on Dame St, was in there tonight for my mates 18th. Very nice food and quite romantic, not everyone in the place was in couples. about €30 for starter and main course and then the drinks are a rip off.:D

http://www.noblehousechineserestaurant.com/index-2.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

blackbelt wrote: »
    Monty's of Kathmandu is a Nepalese restaurant and the food is gorgeous and the staff are very warm and friendly.

Food in Monty's is good alright, different kind of place. Check out the menu early, as at least one of the dishes has to be ordered one day in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

the cellar in the merrion hotel is lovely. very quiet and intimate, also the winding stair is very nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

worded wrote: »
    Cafe Ire Temple bar is good. Relaxed atmosphere.

The OP was looking for someone romantic and upmarket. While Cafe Irie does a bit of decent grub I don't think it matches her request on either description or quality. Her price range is about 100-120 euro. You'd be hard pressed to spend that in Cafe Irie for 2 people.

I'd go with Eden - was there 2 weeks ago and had a great meal with wine, bill came to about 120 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Agree with recommendations for the Merrion, Eden and Chez Max

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I'd recommend the 101 Talbot, on Talbot St. Don't be put off by the Northside location, it's fabulous food at a great price. Love it.

That you to everyone for your suggstions.

Eden sounds like more what I'm looking for. I'll either go with Eden or Noble House. (Noble House for the variety of their menu, it doesn't look as romantic as Eden)

Thanks again, everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

boogle wrote: »
    I'd recommend the 101 Talbot, on Talbot St. Don't be put off by the Northside location, it's fabulous food at a great price. Love it.

Reckon this is the best restaurant in dub! Really worth a try!

snollup wrote: »
    Reckon this is the best restaurant in dub! Really worth a try!

werd :)

werd :)

???

???

Colloquial variation on the use of "word" as an expression of agreement/approval.

Colloquial variation on the use of "word" as an expression of agreement/approval.

I see - just wondering as I thought my comment was quite normal!

• Advertisement

I see - just wondering as I thought my comment was quite normal!

Indeed it was sir. I really must stop using street slang in civilised conversation. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

That you to everyone for your suggstions.

Eden sounds like more what I'm looking for. I'll either go with Eden or Noble House. (Noble House for the variety of their menu, it doesn't look as romantic as Eden)

Thanks again, everyone :D

Eden is a bit too 'clinical' and white. Not really romantic tbh.
    Don't go for the Noble House. This place isn't really romantic, and it tends to get a lot of noisy parties in here at the weekend due to it's proximity to Temple Bar.

Whoops! Thanks for the heads-up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Le Cave. Perfect for your requirements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

???

werd.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The Cedar Tree on Andrew Street.

Lebenses - completely wrong spelling but you know what i mean

strangely i don't rate eden at all. i've been there twice, and although no complaints, i left both times thinking, meh, it really is nothing special for me and not particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I was in Eden last year and all I can say is underwhelming and expensive for what it is.

Def recommend Chez Max, the french place beside Hogans on Fade St (have to queue before 6 to book which is a major drawback but food is great.) Odessa or 101 Talbot (agree with poster about nicest restaurant in Dub - a gem among all the overpriced, mediocre places that are so common in Dublin)

I love Yamamouri and Siam Thai but these aren't great options for steak and chips.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Many of the above are good.

I'd also throw in Ely on Ely Place. Consistently good food there. Staff are excellent.

La Mère Zou on Stephen's Green is also nice.

I've had mixed experiences in l'Gueuleton on Fade St. Most of the time the food has been great, although the last time the dessert was very disappointing (rock hard choux pastry - when we complained we were told that it was supposed to be that way :rolleyes:).

EDIT: They don't really cater to the adventurous tastes; they're just good restaurants. There might be the odd thing on their menus that might fit the bill though.

• Advertisement

IRLConor wrote: »
    I've had mixed experiences in l'Gueuleton on Fade St. Most of the time the food has been great, although the last time the dessert was very disappointing (rock hard choux pastry - when we complained we were told that it was supposed to be that way :rolleyes:).

that place has gone downhill pretty fast since the chef left to open Locks (which is nice but a bit pricey)

Advertisement