Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken PS3

Options
  • 25-06-2008 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

I got a PS3 as a gift this Christmas and it's now acting up. I don't have a receipt for it but I know which store it was bought from and still have the serial number details on the box. So technically, the store can trace the fact that it was purchased there and in my opinion should honour the warranty and either get it fixed or replace it.

However, having spoken to them, they say that, without the receipt, they will not accept responsibility for this now faulty good. Can anyone let me know my rights regarding this? Am I right in thinking that I can prove the purchase with the unique serial number on the box? Should the store honour the warranty?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Lilith306

rgiller wrote: »
    I got a PS3 as a gift this Christmas and it's now acting up. I don't have a receipt for it but I know which store it was bought from and still have the serial number details on the box. So technically, the store can trace the fact that it was purchased there and in my opinion should honour the warranty and either get it fixed or replace it.

However, having spoken to them, they say that, without the receipt, they will not accept responsibility for this now faulty good. Can anyone let me know my rights regarding this? Am I right in thinking that I can prove the purchase with the unique serial number on the box? Should the store honour the warranty?

Most stores don't log the serial numbers of items sold so without the receipt they don't know if it was bought there or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Contact the person who gave you the gift. See if they have proof of purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Lilith306

Also if it is a 40GB ring Sony Computer Entertainment helpline direct 0818365065 and see what they say as it has been out less than a year and might help you without the receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Without a receipt, the shop is under no obligation to do anything for you. You could try contacting Sony, on that number given, and see what they say. There may still be manufacturers warranty that you can use, bypassing the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

with no receipt you're entitled to nothing from the shop as people have said. Serial numbers aren't recorded in store. if the person who bought it doesn't have a receipt, ask if they bought it with a credit card. The statement should be fine for proof of purchase

and contact sony directly. They would record serial numbers so might honour the warranty themselves

• Advertisement
Advertisement