Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms Miscellaneous Bill

Options
  • 25-06-2008 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Well, as I recall this is due to be rolled out on July 3rd. Has there been any speculation on the potential contents so far? Vaguely surprised there hasn't been noise about it here, but perhaps people may have ideas now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Haven't heard of anything past minor corrections going into it to be honest. Which is a pain - moving that one joule limit up to seven would do absolute wonders for shooting by making airgun shooting a lot easier to do and thus making it a lot easier to bring in a lot more kids and grow the base. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Indeed it would alright. Is there any proposition of such a change being made anywhere?

Presumably it also introduces a mechanism to make the restricted list work? That may then make licensing messier, as it may make it part of the Super's brief to consider calibre among the other factors. That doesn't make sense, but allow them to refuse licences based on calibre and their persona designata status makes them pretty tough to take on then. Still, it remains to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

IWM in the case of the Super deciding on calibre then those who have hang-ups on 223's etc will be untouchable ? The restricted list was supposed to have sorted this problem ?

I know there is a list of suggested calibres for certain things eg fox shooting 22 hornet, 17 rem, 204 ruger, 220 swift, 223 rem etc.

Now what I have heard in my area is that if you look for a 223 rem the Super will offer a 204 ruger or a 220 swift instead.

Therefore, 223 rem banned by default ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

To be honest, I don't know. There's probably a less brash mechanism to continue to roll out the restricted list, but if they really want to bring it out, that's an option they might look at, and it'd have pretty grim results.

By the by, I'd never heard of this list of suggested calibres, any links to it or anything? I'd be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

Well, as I recall this is due to be rolled out on July 3rd. Has there been any speculation on the potential contents so far? Vaguely surprised there hasn't been noise about it here, but perhaps people may have ideas now.

very quiet alright iwm ,as regards to people that might have ideas about it who knows...nobody is talking which is a pity. i,ve just being looking at boards for the last week or so its been quiet allright buddy

• Advertisement

IWM in the case of the Super deciding on calibre then those who have hang-ups on 223's etc will be untouchable ? The restricted list was supposed to have sorted this problem ?

I know there is a list of suggested calibres for certain things eg fox shooting 22 hornet, 17 rem, 204 ruger, 220 swift, 223 rem etc.

Now what I have heard in my area is that if you look for a 223 rem the Super will offer a 204 ruger or a 220 swift instead.

Therefore, 223 rem banned by default ?

hope not bunny,will the supers pay the extra cost on the ammo:D

patbundy wrote: »
    very quiet alright iwm ,as regards to people that might have ideas about it who knows...nobody is talking which is a pity. i,ve just being looking at boards for the last week or so its been quiet allright buddy

Yea, it's especially quite here recently :(

hope not bunny,will the supers pay the extra cost on the ammo:D

Of course, they're nice people reallly ;)

Of course, they're nice people reallly ;)

:D:D:D.

Yea, it's especially quite here recently :(

even the weather is being talked about

• Advertisement

even the weather is being talked about

Surprised it hasn't been moved as it's not a shooting topic :eek:

then we'd have noting to talk about, usual story, you can rely on the weather to provide a conversation

i think i might post a thread:rolleyes:

i think i might post a thread:rolleyes:

Go on be a devil :pac:

im in trouble now:eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Isn't it going to be part of the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill? It hasn't been published yet, but when it is it should appear here:

http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?DocId=-1&CatID=59&m=b

Also upcoming is the Explosives Bill which apparently will replace the Explosives Act 1875.

Interesting times ahead.

Interesting times ahead.[/QUOTE]

i hope so conor:(

IRLConor wrote:
    Interesting times ahead.

i hope so conor:(

I dunno, I'm not holding out much hope for the firearms bits in the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill. Acts with "(Miscellaneous Provisions)" in the title rarely have anything good in them. They usually just fix some errors in some other legislation or change the amounts for fines or sentences.

The Explosives Bill will be very interesting though. If they repeal the Explosives Act 1875 and all the other bits and pieces of legislation since then and create one single Explosives Act then it will at least make things easier to understand even if they don't change any of the real substance. Any amount of simplification would be great, the 1875 Act is more than 80 pages long, reasonably complicated and refers to lots of old British-style legal stuff (like the "quarter sessions") and that's before you take into account the 130 years of amendments to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Us paintballers are also awaiting news on the developments of the new bill. Although a very minority group, were are thrown into the firearms act.

Paintball marker: .68 caliber with a muzzel energy of 12-15joules @ 300feet per second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Imagine the conversation in the cop shop :)

You : Garda, I want to licence a .68 semi-automatic slug gun.

Garda : What do you need that for ?

You : To shoot me mates.

Garda : What ?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

we don't have to imagaine it im afraid.... it happens. But that is a story for another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I'd love em to up the 1j limit but I'm afraid if that happened I'd never have money
    again. For one thing I would look for an Air Rifle or Pistol that would not break the limit
    and my house would be covered in Airsoft equipment that I cant currently import into Ireland
    cos it breaks the 1j Limit.

I'd like to also get a paintball marker not for playing paintball but for very casual
    backyard plinking and as a project to use the parts to build something cool looking.
    But I really could not be arsed trying to explain to the Local Gardai
    how I want permission for a paintball marker but dont play paintball!

~B

IRLConor wrote: »
    I dunno, I'm not holding out much hope for the firearms bits in the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill. Acts with "(Miscellaneous Provisions)" in the title rarely have anything good in them. They usually just fix some errors in some other legislation or change the amounts for fines or sentences.

so are we going to be up the messy creek,things never change or do they.we just have to wait and see

so are we going to be up the messy creek,things never change or do they.we just have to wait and see

I don't know. I think we'll just have to wait and see what's in it.

I reckon the best thing to do is see what's in it and if there's anything in it that's unfair or broken, get on the phone to the NGBs and our local TDs and get them to try and fix it before it becomes law.

conor what i find strange about this is that theres not even rumour about it

conor what i find strange about this is that theres not even rumour about it

It's because the initial version of the bill hasn't been published yet. The only people who know about it are the people in the DoJ and possibly (if it has got that far) the people working in the AG's office who actually write the text of the bills.

They are unlikely to talk about it until it's published. It's probably only a rough draught at the moment. Also, since the firearms parts are going to be only one part of a general "Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions)" bill, the contents of the bill might not be finalised yet.

na conor its too quiet .:confused:

na conor its too quiet .:confused:

That means either:
    1. There's no gossip to spread yet.

or

2. There is gossip to spread, but the people who know are sitting on it.

I reckon it's 1, TBH. Secrets don't last long in the shooting world.

ha ha ha true conor but its lasting this time:D and that is what im finding strange,i think its no 2

ha ha ha true conor but its lasting this time:D and that is what im finding strange,i think its no 2

Maybe. You never know.

Though I'm sure anyone who does know any juicy gossip is either sitting on it for a good reason or busy telling someone as we speak. :)

• Advertisement

or maybe they were told to keep shut :D conor

Advertisement