Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biarritz for a beginners holiday?

Options
  • 25-06-2008 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭

I'm planning a week's holidays in Biarritz for the end of July. I'm told that the surf there is supposed to be good and the idea is for it to be my proper introduction to the sport.

I had a lesson out in Oz about 10 years ago and haven't been near a board since but am hugely interested in getting into it.

We're hoping to do it on the cheap staying in campsites etc.

Anyone been there before and have any tips/recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Hey there,

I have been to Biarritz a few times. Im not a surfer per se (kitesurfer) but can tell you a bit about the area.

The main area for surfing is Anglet (a few km outside of Biarritz). It's a great spot, I have been there a few times. Plenty of surf schools and the like.

I stayed in a hihostel (www.hihostels.com). Make sure you go for the one in anglet not biarritz. There is more craic in anglet, the surf schools are there. You can camp there I believe. If its full, there is a camping site around the corner. Can;t remember the name sorry.

I stayed in the hihostel in Biarritz hostel as well. It was might craic and there were some great beaches about 25 mins walk away. Camping site around the corner from it also. The experienced surfers were heading there but there were no surf schools/facilities.

Both hostels are a fair walk from Biarrritz town (where the night life is). Check out the Neu Quai bar - good laugh - on the main street. You can get buses into town but they finish early (10:30 I think) so it will be taxi's after that or a long walk.

The hostel experience worked well for me. I met a ton of people and got a few free surfing lessons out of it from some cracking people.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Havent been (yet :) ) but the guy who runs this place posts on magicseaweed.com forums and people have said they got on well there.
    I think its outside Biarritz (25 min from airport), Capbreton near Hossegor, that might make it cheaper?
    I think it looks cool anyway and its prob where i will look at staying when I go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭binhead

Biarritz is wicked man, if you have a car you can hit so many spots, we stayed in a campsite just outside the town, can't remember the name but it was cheap, uber safe, had a pool and a small restaurant, great facilities etc, I found most of the locals in the water to be totally cool (and I got in the way of and crashed into several!) but they were completely cool, if you have the time you could drive over the mountains into Spanish/basque country for more crazy waves and muuuuuch cheaper booze/smokes/food/everything.

Fun. Crazy place.

Enjoy! Binhead.

Advertisement