Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starting on a Hill in an automatic

Options
  • 25-06-2008 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭

Is there anything different one needs to do in an automatic for this? I presume one just puts into park when stopping and handbrake up. and for taking off put into drive and release handbrake?

I was told also by my instructor that at traffic lights no leave car in D with foot on brake and handbrake on.

is that correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Okay, when driving an Auto, you should leave it in drive all the time. There really isn't any hill start as such in an auto as the car usually "auto creeps" forward, usually enough to hold the car in position on a reasonable incline so all you need to do starting off on a hill is take your foot off the break and accelerate. Even at traffic lights leave it in drive. If you are there for a prolonged period you can pop on the handbrake.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When driving automatic I just press brake at lights, once green I just switch to accelerator. No handbrake at all.

When uphill just press brake as well, then switch to accelerator. All automatics I've driven has a thing that prevents them from rolling backwards so there is no worries about the car behind you. You should double check on your particular;ar cat though.

Leave it in D

As a tip, fold the left foot up under you a bit if you are used to a manual drive. This way you don't suddenly step on the brake with it, causing the car to brake sharply. m2c

• Registered Users Posts: 24,994 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The 'hillstart' is not included in a driving test for an automatic vehicle. Your instructor should know that.

I was told also by my instructor that at traffic lights no leave car in D with foot on brake and handbrake on.

is that correct?
    Yes - the gear selector shouldn't be moved (unless you wish to reverse or park) and the parking brake should be applied when stopped at lights (although I have to admit that I only do so during lighting up hours :o).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Some Automatics are designed so the ticking over of the engine keep the car from going back and others have a gear lock so it will never go back even if the car was nearly on a 90 degree slope.

I drove a Toyota Automatic once and discovered it going back on a fairly steep incline; que left leg to brake and right leg to accelerator and using the brake like a clutch while gently accelerating. This IMO defeats the whole purpose of an Automatic as it is one of the nice features of them not having to worry about the hill and not having to clutch every 5 seconds in traffic.

I drive a Manual, but had that Auto from the garage while my own was in for a new clutch; as that garage keeps an Auto to give out as some Auto drivers are Auto only. They are much nicer to drive and I can't see why people are constantly down them, like 300 million yanks can't be wrong. (A little heavier on Fuel I'd say about 10%)

munsterlegend, do you know however that if you take your driving test in an Auto you are restricted to driving one on that licence then unless you take another manual test? If I were you and were driving an auto i'd say fine do the test as to change now this late in the day to a manual would probably cause you to fail, do your test in an Auto, get used to traffic, roundabouts etc. and build up your confidence and take a manual test in 6 months or ehenever you feel ready, most Americans are thought on Autos to begin with to get ready for the hazards of traffic and then progress to manuals (which most don't).

However if you are starting off and will have your test in say 6 months take the test in a Manual and then you have the freedom to drive both, you'd be surprise how important it is for driving a van (no auto vans I'm aware of) or trucks etc. Driving Manuals is fun and exhilerating at times, I'd recommend get your self a small car something like a 1.9TDI Golf if you can afford it, or better get a large Diesel like a Passat or Skoda Superb (which has an Automatic throttle) if you could master a large wagon like this you'll drive anything, the diesels are great as they won't cut and have much more tolerence to bad clutching (yes i'm guilty) :o unlike petrol manuals which will cut out straight away.

My 2 cents,
    Best of luck and many years of safe happy driving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

just to fully understand so when stopped at lights - i should or should not put the gearstick to P? my instructor told me to leave it at D and apply handbrake.

just to fully understand so when stopped at lights - i should or should not put the gearstick to P? my instructor told me to leave it at D and apply handbrake.

Do not put it in P. You are not parking. P should only be used when "parked". Leave it in D the whole time until you reach your destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Grrrrr! My instructor told me to put it into N and then use the handbreak. What a dozy cow... I've been driving automatics longer that she has! In reality, use the foot break to stop, the gas to go, and that's it.

Keep it in Drive and apply the handbrake.

(I may have confused you earlier when I used the term "Park Brake". That's a habit from driving trucks and buses when the handbrake is always given it's proper title 'park brake'. ;) ....and , of course, many cars like mine have a foot operated park brake and therefore it cannot be called a 'hand' brake.)

helios wrote: »
    Grrrrr! My instructor told me to put it into N and then use the handbreak.
    :eek: That causes unnecessary wear on the box and defeats the whole purpose of having an auto.

• Advertisement

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Some Automatics are designed so the ticking over of the engine keep the car from going back and others have a gear lock so it will never go back even if the car was nearly on a 90 degree slope.

I drove a Toyota Automatic once and discovered it going back on a fairly steep incline
    That happened to me in a bus one time. I had driven various makes of auto and manual buses. All of the autos had a very strong forward creep and it could be difficult holding them back without the park brake. I was sent up to Belfast to pick up a bus. I located it and drove off. I was going up a very steep incline to a set of lights. I braked gently to a stop. Immediately the lights changed to amber (i.e. UK type sequence) and I transferred my foot slowly across to the accelerator pedal to prepare to go forward. What i didn't realise was the bus began to roll backwards. I'd say the driver behind required a change of underpants! It's the only time I drove an auto that rolled back on an incline.

When stopped at the lights, keep your foot on the brake, leave the car in "D" the whole time unless reversing etc. you can use either the handbrake or the footbrake, the footbrake being my preferred choice, alot of Automatic cars (espeically stateside) don't have "handbrakes" but rather a footpedal locker plus "P" locks up the whole thing anyway.

I drove automatics quite abit also during recent trips to the USA over the last few years and having also driven them here as I mentioned earlier they are fairly fool proof. You can also pop the car into "N" and pull the handbrake if you are in really long queues of traffic and rest the foot, somesay it stops the car "Pushing" while others disagree, not having huge knowledge except the basics of how to drive them I can't say.

you can use either the handbrake or the footbrake, the footbrake being my preferred choice
    In a test they will expect one to use the handbrake if stopped at lights for a while.
    munhaabu wrote:
    You can also pop the car into "N" and pull the handbrake if you are in really long queues of traffic and rest the foot, somesay it stops the car "Pushing" while others disagree
    It shouldn't be put into Neutral. It causes unnecessary wear on the gearbox and defeats the purpose of having an auto. Autos are designed to be left in Drive. They have a torque converter(?) and do not place any stress on any of the components. It's not like a manual biting/riding the clutch.

Autos are designed to be left in Drive. They have a torque converter(?) and do not place any stress on any of the components. It's not like a manual biting/riding the clutch.

That's it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LoopyBum

You will still have to turn around and pass your test in a manual car...?

LoopyBum wrote: »
    There is no requirement to do the driving test in a manual. If it is passed in an auto, the Certificate of Competency will reflect this and the person may only apply for a restricted Full licence. Their Full Licence will have a '78' stamped on it to indicated that they are restricted to driving automatic vehicles within that category.

There is no requirement to do the driving test in a manual. If it is passed in an auto, the Certificate of Competency will reflect this and the person may only apply for a restricted Full licence. Their Full Licence will have a '78' stapmed on it to indicated that they are restricted to driving manual vehicles within that category.

Automatic you mean!

Automatic you mean!
    Yes - post edited. :o Thanks. :)

There is no requirement to do the driving test in a manual.

I don't recall saying that that there was? Maybe I didn't make things clear... I didn't want to be rude but what is the point in doing lessons/test etc in an auto? You might as well do lessons for manual and pass test for manual as then you are permitted to drive both rather than spending money on auto lessons and test. It's easier get your hands on a manual car than an automatic... which gives you greater variety etc... ? imho

I don't recall saying that that there was?

That's exactly what you said.
    Maybe I didn't make things clear... I didn't want to be rude but what is the point in doing lessons/test etc in an auto? You might as well do lessons for manual and pass test for manual as then you are permitted to drive both rather than spending money on auto lessons and test. It's easier get your hands on a manual car than an automatic... which gives you greater variety etc... ? imho

It really is up to the driver. There could be numerous reasons for doing a test in an auto over a manual, whether it's down to preference or necessity ie with injured left foot. Your point about spending money on auto lessons and test makes little sense. You will have to spend that money either way. As for your point about it being easier to get your hands on a manual rather than an auto, i suppose in some respects you are right, but that by no means means that there are no automatic transmission cars out there, you can find them in all shapes, sizes and price ranges.

• Advertisement

That's exactly what you said.

No, this is EXACTLY what I said...

'You will still have to turn around and pass your test in a manual car...?'

:p

Don't pick with a picker! ;)

LoopyBum - I don't really understand the point you are trying to make!

Many vehicles are not available in a manual version. People who prefer autos are perfectly entitled to do their test in an auto.

I don't understand what you mean by "You will still have to turn around and pass your test in a manual car...?"

Why do you think they will still have to do a test in a manual? There is no legal requirement for them to do so! :confused:

If they want to drive a manual car they need to pass the test in a manual car.... lots of people do not know this. I would imagine there is a far greater selection of cars available in manual than in auto? Yes they may not ever want to drive a manual. No prob there. As I said, in my opinion I think it's a waste of time and money doing lessons and test in an auto. As my best friend is wheelchair bound, I can say it is fairly obviously that if the person has a disability then they won't be opting for a manual but they won't be opting for a auto either, they'll be opting for a custom modified car. Auto cars are not suitable for persons with certain disabilities as far as I know if you do not have the use of your legs for example, an auto is still no use to you as the auto still requires you to use your feet? So that is mostly the reason I cannot understand any one with all their abilities wasting money on auto lessons and test. Does that help clear it up and put an end to this? :rolleyes:

If they want to drive a manual car they need to pass the test in a manual car.... lots of people do not know this.
    That is not what you said the first time around, we made ourselves very clear when we said that passing a test in an automatic car would only give you a restricted license.
    I would imagine there is a far greater selection of cars available in manual than in auto? Yes they may not ever want to drive a manual. No prob there. As I said, in my opinion I think it's a waste of time and money doing lessons and test in an auto. As my best friend is wheelchair bound, I can say it is fairly obviously that if the person has a disability then they won't be opting for a manual but they won't be opting for a auto either, they'll be opting for a custom modified car. Auto cars are not suitable for persons with certain disabilities as far as I know if you do not have the use of your legs for example, an auto is still no use to you as the auto still requires you to use your feet? So that is mostly the reason I cannot understand any one with all their abilities wasting money on auto lessons and test. Does that help clear it up and put an end to this? :rolleyes:

I think you have a very childish attitude to the Automatic licensing, we have already discussed the fact that either way you will have to pay for lessons and a test.
    Yes they may not ever want to drive a manual. No prob there.
    I cannot understand any one with all their abilities wasting money on auto lessons and test.

Is that not a bit of a contradiction there? On the one hand you say you have no problem with people choosing to take an Automatic transmission test, but on the other you suggest they are wasting their time and money?

Is that not a bit of a contradiction there? On the one hand you say you have no problem with people choosing to take an Automatic transmission test, but on the other you suggest they are wasting their time and money?

I wouldn't shoot people for only wanting to pass an auto test, but I think it's a waste of money... geddit yet???:rolleyes:

I wouldn't shoot people for only wanting to pass an auto test, but I think it's a waste of money
    So, for example, Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann have wasted money putting their thousands of drivers throught the test in vehicles with automatic transmissions?
    LoopyBum wrote:
    geddit yet???:rolleyes:
    ........and there is no need to be cheeky. If you are not prepared to discuss the matter in a mature manner, please feel free to move on.

So, for example, Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann have wasted money putting their thousands of drivers throught the test in vehicles with automatic transmissions?

........and there is no need to be cheeky. If you are not prepared to discuss the matter in a mature manner, please feel free to move on.

I have parents already, so stop with the 'parenting' rubbish.

I hardly think they put thousands of drivers through the test... anyway BUSES are a tad bit different than cars, don't you think? You have to have passed MANUAL tests to drive these. However, the buses really wouldn't be auto like a car can be auto, the buses would be tiptronic moreso than auto.. and now that you mention it yes Dublin Bus are famous for wasting money... or is that too cheeky for you? :p:p:p

Can you move on now?

You have been warned.

You have been warned.

Abuse of power? You didn't warn anyone who said my opinion was rubbish but I'm supposed to lie back and watch people make comments about my opinions and say nothing?? :confused::confused: I was asked to clarify my opinion?

• Advertisement

**sighs**
    anyway BUSES are a tad bit different than cars, don't you think?
    Many buses come with automatic transmission. Many bus drivers do the 'D' test in a bus with automatic transmission because they intend to drive a bus with automatic transmission. Many employers put their drivers through the automatic test (i.e. fund it) because they need drivers for their automatic buses.

It's no different with cars. Some people intend driving cars with automatic transmission and some may only be physically able to drive such vehicles because of a disability. A motorist is perfectly entitled to drive such vehicle as a matter of choice and , as I have already said, some cars are not available with a manual gearbox.

The fact that a person with an restricted licence cannot legally drive a manual car (without another Learner Permit) is irrelevant. They are under no obligation to do so.
    LoopyBum wrote:
    You have to have passed MANUAL tests to drive these
    Again you are making assumptions without knowing the facts. There is no requirement for a driver to have passed a manual test in a car before moving on to drive a larger automatic vehicle.

LoopyBum wrote:
    the buses really wouldn't be auto like a car can be auto
    I've driven various types of automatic and manual buses and I don't see any difference between the automatic gearbox in a bus and the one in automatic cars.

LoopyBum wrote:
    the buses would be tiptronic moreso than auto
    I have yet to see a bus with a tiptronic gearbox!

They are generally manual, fully auto or semi-auto.

The only vehicles I've driven with tiptronic gearboxes are cars and tractors.

You should avoid debating an issue in which you clearly have little knowledge.

LoopyBum wrote:
    Can you move on now?
    Certainly - just remember that it was you who brought the thread down this Cul de Sac.

Advertisement