Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's happening to Roly Saul (Roly's) at Dundrum?

• 25-06-2008 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Haven't been down there in a few weeks but this restaurant was going to open in January next to the entrance to the Mill Theatre in Dundrum Town Centre. It looks like its dead.

The domain www.roly.ie is now parked; it used to be live earlier this year.

Anyone have the scoop? Did they run out of money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Well according to the sunday business post (dated 9th March) it should have opened in a few weeks. Does 15 count as "a few"? Apparently Aya are going to open which would be great if it happens, believe it when I see it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Apparently Aya are going to open which would be great if it happens, believe it when I see it tbh

Should give Yo Sushi a run for it's money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

whiskeyman wrote:
    Where about will Aya open?
    Fashion district I believe, along with Hughes & Hughes which will be very welcome. But the way things are going I'm not holding my breath for any of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Hughes and hughes? I thought Borders was going to be opening in Dundrum (God knows the town centre needs a decent book emporium)?

So Borders are now out of the running? Pity - I do like the feel and layout of their Blanchardstown store. I had heard rumours that they where massively scaling back their overseas expansion.

Hughes and huges is a good book place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

Was down there on Thursday night, Rolys is dead, hasn't changed in months. First fit electrics in and plastering done but not much else. I reckon they ran out of money. Some brave soul could probably pick it up for a song.

No chance of Aya opening, they’ve opened in Sandyford Industrial Estate up the road.

Regarding fashion avenue, Hamelys will be anchoring the far end, http://www.dundrum.ie/happening.asp?nid=424, good idea to have something down there that people might actually make the trip for, passing all the other shops. http://www.bannon.ie/brochures/dundrumvillage.pdf, they’re taking G/W6. I wonder what will happen to the old Daisy and Tom shop?

Has anyone noticed there appears to be a large space on top of the Mao / Mill Theatre block? I haven't had a good look to see where the access is but it's a big unit with a big terrace. Also wasn’t there supposed to be a restaurant with panoramic views all the way at the top (7th floor!) at the other side of the centre, above Tesco and Peter Mark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bigboots

I heard from a Polish chef who works for Roly's that there was a row between Roly's and there partners and now Roly's is planning to open the restaurant them selves. I think the guy from Ouzo’s in Renalagh was involved and I was looking forward to some great fresh fish. What ever happened to Ouzo’s ??? there website www.ouzos.ie is now saying they are opening somewhere else???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Yup, apparently there was a financing row, which is odd as yer man Roly has such a great reputation & he's gone from the Pavillion in Dun Laoghaire.

ouzo's are in lower Baggott st now I think, by that Donnybrook food fair place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

ouzo's are in lower Baggott st now I think, by that Donnybrook food fair place

Long time ago that they were there....Could be closed for at least 6 month already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

jeepers.. I am behind the times...thanks xia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dermot999

Well I would love to find out where that ould fecker is gone. Bought my parents a voucher for his restaurant in Dun Laoighre. He cannot be contacted. We were told by someone who answered the phone that we should send the voucher to an address. Luckily my parents went to hand deliver the voucher, and were told that Roly had no involvement with that address. Quite a clever thing to do --- If we sent the voucher, then we would have had no proof now. Not that we have anyhting anyhow. It's worthless.
    There is a Rolys in Thurles. rolys at the park. I get so confused with Rolys, and who is doing what.. Ballsbridge, pav, thurles ? ? ? Is Saul part of Thurles? Feel like dropping in on the ouls ****e, or book a large party for Sat night and not turn up. GGRRRRRRR
    No respect for loyal customers. The War is on with the fat head !

MOD EDIT : REMEMBER KIDS, PLAY NICE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I'm pretty sure Roly himself sold out of Ballsbridge years ago, something to do with a divorce settlement. He ran Dun Laoghaire himself until it closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dermot999

I know he is out of Ballsbridge a few years now. I was onto Ballsbridge regarding 'Rolys at the park' restaurant in Thurles, and they said it has nothing to do with them. They even have a footnote on the bottom of their menu dissociating themselves from all other restaurants with a similar name.
    I wonder is Saul down there in Thurles? Or is it even still open?
    The voucher is for €120.00 It shall be the last voucher I ever buy. They are a curse.

I am intrigued by the slow progress of this restaurant in Dundrum. A few months back I heard from a good source that there was a row between the partners and work had stopped. Passing the other day I could see a couple of guys working inside and in the centre there are signs saying it is due to open in October, so what is going on????
    I also contacted Roly’s in Ballsbridge to ask what was the story with Dundrum and I got a very short response. They told me that Roly Saul was trying to live off the Roly’s brand and that he had nothing to do with their restaurant. I do remember going to his restaurant in Dun Laoghaire and it was awful! Now I have nothing against old people but the day I was there it was like pensioners day out, lets hope there are enough old people in Dundrum to keep him busy. :confused:

Edited to fix the tags
    J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hans Moleman

Rolys in Dundrum is set to open by the end of this week or early next. It’s a 250 seat restaurant that has seen the old Garda station have a 7 million make over. Very impressive indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

I heard its not going ahead. The owner is opening a new ouzos in Dalkey now. It is where tiger becs used be

Well! according to the website www.roly.ie, roly is a donut?:eek:

there is another website www.rolydundrum.ie and you have to go and see the menu! three starters, three mains and two desserts and that's it? At first sight it looks like its a Japanese restaurant and then you see the sausage? so what kind of restaurant is it going to be? Someone out there has to know whats going on? I would love to know. I thought it was going to be a first class steak and seafood restaurant, looking at the menu I think www.roly.ie is close to the truth, ROLY IS A DONUT:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Relevant wrote: »
    I heard its not going ahead. The owner is opening a new ouzos in Dalkey now. It is where tiger becs used be

My wife went there on saturday (Ouzos) and she was 100% unimpressed :(

Poor service, poor staff and overpriced remarkably average food she said.

Still, it's early days I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

I went to Roly's Dundrum last Thursday.

The biggest problem with the place is the man himself. We got to the restaurant and he was on the phone, it took a few awkward moments for someone else to welcome us. Then everything went smoothly. The menu is traditional Irish. Didn't try the starters. The main was very good; I had the pork with pumpkin mash, herself had the chicken if memory serves. Delicious. Dessert, sticky toffee pud, was good too but nothing to write home about. The jacks are really weird, something you'd see in a pub except clean. We got out of there for €60, :) two mains, glass of wine and one desert and a decent tip. Then on the way out same deal. Waiting around for our coats like tools, Roly on the phone, ignoring us. One of the managers came over eventually and got our coats.
    Wouldn’t rush back.

I went to Ouzos in Dalkey last night with the tenis gang and the place was packed. The service was good, the prices were ok and food was superb. I had the T-Bone steak and it was to die for, my crab claws to start were the best I've ever had. I'm going to visit Rolys in Dundrum next week and I'll let you know how I get on:)

I said I was going and I did. Saturday night last. The big glass extension looks great, in fact the whole building looks great, that is until you go to the loo! They look like they were designed by a red neck! I had the soup it was cold, I then broke the bank and had a fillet steak (€33) i ordered it med-rare and it arrived med and I have to say if you are going to charge these prices, it had better be good and it wasn’t! the girlfriend had the crab to start and the yellow fin tuna which she didn’t finish. The staff were nice but the prices are just silly and the place is full of old people? we skipped dessert and went to McDonald's for an Ice Cream. I never liked Roly's in Ballsbridge, so I was never going to like this place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dunner09

read katy mcguinness of the tribune's review , she gave them a stonker . Word is he's trying to sue.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

bigboots wrote: »
    I never liked Roly's in Ballsbridge, so I was never going to like this place.

Just want to point out for thread clarity that Ballsbridge and Dundrum are seperate entities. They used be partners, they are now seperate. No connection. Dundrum and Dun Laoghaire, they both were and are run by the same person.

Was there last night. Can't complain. Very nice. But +1 on the toilets :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

ironclaw wrote: »
    Just want to point out for thread clarity that Ballsbridge and Dundrum are seperate entities. They used be partners, they are now seperate. No connection. Dundrum and Dun Laoghaire, they both were and are run by the same person.

Was there last night. Can't complain. Very nice. But +1 on the toilets :confused:

nice of you to point this out...2 YEARS LATER!!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

nice of you to point this out...2 YEARS LATER!!!!!!!!:D

The joys of Google search. My mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Seems Roly Saul in Dundrum Has Closed,

Another of his Restaurants Closes the Door,

Official Men in Suits Today....