Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any questions for main dealers & SIMI?

Options
  • 25-06-2008 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

Fellow Boardsies....

I have set up a podcast section on my website (see sig) which will include loads of news and features about Irish motoring.

It will cover everything from vehicle news, new laws/legislation, car test drives/reviews and infrastructure (and lots more in between).

For my first podcasts I have set up interviews next week with some very prominent figures in the Irish motoring industry. One of which is the owner of a very large dealership group and another with a director within the SIMI organisation.

I have also submitted a request to Mr Noel Dempsey's office for an interview (yet to be answered, I'll keep you posted)

I will be asking these gentlemen various questions about the industry at the moment and I am opening this up for you guys to put forward any questions you would like to be included.

Just a few notes....

Please keep your questions civil.
    Please don't ask "Why are cars so expensive in Ireland?" - That is already on my list ;)
    All questions from Boards members will be put forward (but I can't guarantee the interviewee will answer them :rolleyes:).

Fire away........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

OT but, regarding test drives and reviews, who test drives the cars, and who supplies them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

colm_mcm wrote: »
    OT but, regarding test drives and reviews, who test drives the cars, and who supplies them?

Hi Colm,

It's early days yet but I currently have three main dealers who will supply new (demo) vehicles for a couple of days roadtesting.

As for the tests themselves I have a couple of motoring enthusiasts to test and a young motoring journalist.

The people I am using do know their stuff when it comes to cars but it will be a bit of trial and error until I can put together a team I am happy with.

It will also come down to personality and who works well in front of a camera.

cheers.

PS. Anyone who thinks they have what it takes to be a test driver/presenter is more than welcome to pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

OP, another off-topic comment, but I gotta say, your website is an absolutely brilliant idea. I've thought about doing this kind of thing with our stock before, but I've always been too busy doing things to get things done (if you know what I mean).

Loads of people come on looking for advice feedback on their car-related websites. Yours is the best I've seen so far.

Absolute best of luck with it!

AudiChris wrote: »
    OP, another off-topic comment, but I gotta say, your website is an absolutely brilliant idea. I've thought about doing this kind of thing with our stock before, but I've always been too busy doing things to get things done (if you know what I mean).

Loads of people come on looking for advice feedback on their car-related websites. Yours is the best I've seen so far.

Absolute best of luck with it!

Thank you very much Chris.

If you like, PM me with your details and I can pay you a visit. Maybe we can work something out for your stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Off topic

I do think the idea of the website is great, like chris ive also thought about the idea of videos, but could'nt figure out how to do it, looking at the site im guessing your bassed in kildare ??

PS pm me with the price for subs to the site please

• Advertisement

Thak you for the comments knife_fighter....A lot of work has gone into making a site look this simple :D

I am based in Kildare and my site rates vary depending on how much stock you wish to advertise and if you can film your stock yourself or require someone to film & upload your stock for you.

If you are interested, pm me with your details and I can drop in to see you (when it suits you) and I am sure we can come to an agreement to suit both of us.

Also, as well as the videos being on my site I can provide you with a live streaming link so you can display the video showroom on your own website as well.

I'm not hugely convinced by the voice overs, maybe rolling text would work better? Sorry to just pick a hole in it.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'm not hugely convinced by the voice overs, maybe rolling text would work better? Sorry to just pick a hole in it.

No problem Colm.

The reason for the voiceover is that most of the ads are filmed using a cameraphone and uploaded in one go, which just takes a few mins to do and is very simple to film and upload.

Most car dealers (sorry for any offence anyone) do not have the technical knowhow or time to transfer the video file to an editing program and then add in the subtitles, then convert to an MP4 and upload to the site.

I have made the site as simple to use as I could. Sellers can, if they wish, do a full on video with background music & VO (or subtitles etc) or just film their cars on a phone and have it up on the site in a few mins.

Most dealers will opt for the quick and easy solution......especially if they have a lot of stock.

I know the idea is for the dealers to upload the files themselves, but did you do all the voiceovers yourself, do you call around to dealers and film all their cars at the moment,

Yep, those are my dulcet tones you can hear.

I offer dealers a basic package where they can either film & upload the ads themselves or for an extra few quid one of us can go to the dealer once or twice a week to film their stock (which most of the guys on there have chosen).

There were some videos on the site from a dealer in Cork but the guys accent was a bit strong so I was asked to delete the ads and go down there to re-film the stock.

I am sure down the line there will be dealers who will be confident enough to do their own ads but failing that as I say, we offer a solution if they aren't.

I know it's not 100% perfect but it's my first attempt at a website and I am sure it will evolve and improve in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OP, please post link. Some users, myself included, have Sigs off.

Not your ornery onager

Click his username and then pick to view his homepage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ One click too many. :D

Not your ornery onager

keefg wrote: »
    If you like, PM me with your details and I can pay you a visit.

Done!

esel wrote: »
    ^ One click too many.

http://www.carshowonvid.ie/

Check it out, great site.

AudiChris wrote: »
    http://www.carshowonvid.ie/

Check it out, great site.

Cheers Chris.

PM sent.

So....back on topic.

Anyone have any questions as per my first post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

1. when will VRT be scrapped?

2. Why are UK imports including VRT, dramatically lower than Irish Dealer/and private sellers prices?

3. Why doesn't the motor industry realise that the public know that their prices are over inflated and should drop them from 1st of july?

4. when will the goverment fix/reduce the amount of duty and vat charged on fuel and give the difference back to the public?

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    1. when will VRT be scrapped?

2. Why are UK imports including VRT, dramatically lower than Irish Dealer/and private sellers prices?

3. Why doesn't the motor industry realise that the public know that their prices are over inflated and should drop them from 1st of july?

4. when will the goverment fix/reduce the amount of duty and vat charged on fuel and give the difference back to the public?

Thanks Mc BigE, I shall add them to my list (although I think I already know the answer to Q1 :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Questions for the SIMI director –

Can you justify the existence of the SIMI from the car buying publics perspective based on the total lack of qualifications required for garages to join?

What, if any, checks are carried out on new applicants?

What power does to SIMI have to intervene in a dispute between one of its members and a customer?

• Advertisement

Questions for the SIMI director –

Can you justify the existence of the SIMI from the car buying publics perspective based on the total lack of qualifications required for garages to join?

What, if any, checks are carried out on new applicants?

What power does to SIMI have to intervene in a dispute between one of its members and a customer?

Thanks Mr. Diagnostic, on the list.

I was on the phone half an hour ago with one of the SIMI directors and we hope to have a date set up in the next 2-3 weeks. Depending on availability the head honcho of SIMI himself might also join us.

Keep 'em coming guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

heres another one:

Would it be possible for the SIMI/Government/NCT to setup an alternative to cartell.ie, were the mileage, service history, previous owners, previous reg if imported, finance outstanding, and whether the car has been in an accident be freely available on a dedicated website that isn’t open to abuse (not suggesting that cartell.ie is)

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    heres another one:

Would it be possible for the SIMI/Government/NCT to setup an alternative to cartell.ie, were the mileage, service history, previous owners, previous reg if imported, finance outstanding, and whether the car has been in an accident be freely available on a dedicated website that isn’t open to abuse (not suggesting that cartell.ie is)

I am not 100% sure on this but I think SIMI have a vehicle history check product that is only available to dealers.

I shall find out more about it.

thanks.

keefg wrote: »
    I am not 100% sure on this but I think SIMI have a vehicle history check product that is only available to dealers.

Correct.

Advertisement