Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what this is?

• 25-06-2008 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Its on the road between Annstown and Dunhill castle.

2611219466_41f5e26011_m.jpg

Mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Looks like a standing stone to me, but im not so sure. I dont seem to have it marked on the Dolmen Map of the area, the nearest I have is the Ballynageeragh Portal Tomb or Croagh Standing Stones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hard to see the height of the piece, but it could be an old geographical reference point. They use them as reference points to plan roads, measure land and such. They are always very visible from the surrounding land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats the thing, the stone is located in a spot so low the sea has been known to flood the valley its sat in!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

read the testament of gideon mack. he came across just such a stone, although it might have been smoother. then he met the devil. hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Oooh. That looks pretty cool.

Roen might have an idea, will point him in this direction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

I know the yoke. I'd say it's more geographical reference point than standing stone - it doesn't look old enough. Typically I can't lay my hand on OSI map 82 at the moment to see what it's marked as (how come it's only ever the one you're actually looking for that goes missing?). It should be on that if it's either of the above if anybody has it to hand

Found it. It's just listed on the map as "monument" in black (older stuff tends to be red). A bit of googling turned up the following on the rather excellent DFBA community website:
    In the middle of Annestown bog is a curious monument known as 'the steeple'. The explanations as to the origin of this monument are many and varied. Some say the steeple marks the grave of a famous greyhound belonging to Ann Golden who lived in 'the big house'. Others say that it is the flagstaff of the ancient castle, while many people contend that it was a range marker for enemy ships approaching the castle. The ships coming up the river from Annestown, having passed this point, were within firing range from the castle.

Not much the wiser after that, but it's probably as wise as we're going to get!

Thanks for that, while on the subject of odd things in the Annstown bog can anyone throw light on this?

CuriousFeatureNearDunhill-Annstown.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

oh i know it doesn't help but i was there to, that's at the castle right???Might know someone who knows about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Was out there today Mike, I doubt if the monument was a distance or targeting marker.

You'd need some cannon to get that kind of range and while I'm not sure of the history of Dunhill castle I'd say it was long since derelict by the time guns capable of that long range were developed.

No idea on what that square structure is though at all.

• Advertisement

Someone on flickr said he might know someone who'd know.

The Great Annstown 'Thing' Mystery continues...

Mike.

Was there a linen industry in Waterford? Looking at it reminds me a bit of linen "dams" the traces of which could still be seen when I was a wee lad in Donegal. Apparently they were square ponds where they'd put the flax in to soak for some time after harvesting it.

Googling hasn't turned up much, though apparently there was a linen industry in Villierstown in the late 18th/early 19th century.

Advertisement