Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me please - I lied to get work

Options
  • 25-06-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I don't want to explain too much about my situation or what i do, but a few months back i lied about my qualifications to get work, and i was taken on (I can't believe i got away with it).

I was given an induction week where i was trained in, i grasped everything and got on with my work. I'm getting on very well and was told so several times. I was delighted when i got the job and i get paid very well.

I was called into the office today, and was told because i was getting on very well and the sister company needs someone they have decided to send me. All would be well but now they want to see my qualifications to photocopy and send them on to the sister company. They never asked to see my qualifications when i was taken on.

What do i do. Was anybody ever in a similar situation, or lied to get work. or do you know anyone that did.

Iim on very well, and i'm loyal. I'm in work everyday and i like the work.

I also intend on studying part time in september in the field that i'm working in. I'm irish by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Time to be honest with your boss, methinks. I would be pretty surprised if they keep you on though. From their point of view, no matter how good an employee you are otherwise, you're not trustworthy.

By the way, there's a work issues forum somewhere. It's probably a better place for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Just keep stringing it out and they might forget - say you're waiting on the college to send out your results transcript and blame they delays on them. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

There's no way out of this man. Even if you found some miraculous way to get through this, it's going to come up again.

You have two choices, face the music now when the damage is somewhat less than it will be if you go with option 2, face the music in a few years when the damage will be much, much worse.

Maybe they'll agree to keep you on provided you actually finish the qualification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

expect to be fired pretty soon op.companies don't take this stuff lightly.you should never have got the job to begin with but that won't excuse your actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

I think you should try very hard to forge your qualifications. My friend was over in Thailand a while ago and there were loads of people selling fake third level qualifications. He said they looked really genuine. There's no point in coming clean now, you'll lose your job for sure. They already believe you that you're qualified so they're not looking for your qualification to inspect it or try and verify it. Get a half decent looking fake one for their photocopy. Then finish your qualification for real and then if it does come up in future, you've got a load of experience for some other company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Work Problems

BTW - with regard to the previous post - forging qualifications will only compund any future problems and is not a path to be recommended.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

thats really bad advice.it may even be illegal for this person to be working in this position without being qualified,or at the very least the op may be invalidating the companies insurance policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

What line of work is it?

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

I can't see it invalidating insurance or being illegal, it looks very much like office work. People do this all the time in hotel careers or careers in the bar trade. It looks like op has just done it on a grander scale. He will get nothing out of coming clean. On the contrary he faces losing everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Thank your boss for choosing you as the candidate for the sister company and make up an excuse as to why you don't want to join the sister company... e.g. too far to travel, awkward bus times, whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

i would try and stay at the company I was in....any excuse possible!

whilst I don;t agree with what you have done as long as you aren;t in a 'professional' body potentially causing harm/danger(doctor / engineer...etc) then it's not the end of the world - people have done a lot lot worse over the years

If you don;t have any way out of it and get to the point where you will be found out I would resign (on whatever grounds you decide to make up - family probs/other job offer....try and make it good) - at least you won;t be found out and will still receive a reference.

c'mon tell us what qualification it was at least! ...financial is my guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

jeepers101 wrote: »
    I think you should try very hard to forge your qualifications.

Maybe someone can clarify this for me but I'm pretty sure you can get done for fraud if you forge qualifications.
    viking wrote: »
    Thank your boss for choosing you as the candidate for the sister company and make up an excuse as to why you don't want to join the sister company... e.g. too far to travel, awkward bus times, whatever.

Having thought about it, I wonder if they don't suspect something already and are using this new position as an excuse to request evidence of the qualification...

Having thought about it, I wonder if they don't suspect something already and are using this new position as an excuse to request evidence of the qualification...

Thats a very paranoid approach. He already said he's doing very well so what would make them doubt his qualifications.

If you don't want to go down the forged qualifications route then just keep putting it off, as suggested by a previous post, and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭A racy brainrot

Work is just one of the aspects of life to finace everything else. Do what you can to get the best work as long as it isnt affecting anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Forging it would be a terrible thing to do. What if they ring the institution that you supposedly attended and find out you were never a student there?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm female. I'm working in a creche as a baby room worker. I have a montessori teaching diploma. I also have a childcare certificate which is validated by The college of progressive education. Its not fetac awarded and i told them that i have fetac childcare. And they are looking for fetac qualifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

what's the absolute worst thing that can happen to you? You tell the truth and get fired. If you ask me, that can't be any worse than the hell you're going through at the moment. And really, it's your only option - the sooner you tell the truth, the sooner you'll find out what happens next. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

ongarite wrote: »
    Forging it would be a terrible thing to do. What if they ring the institution that you supposedly attended and find out you were never a student there?

You can't just ring a college nowadays and ask about a past student. The student has to give their permission for any details to be disclosed.

OP - it's not like you have NO qualifications for the job. Maybe say the college told you they were in the process of becoming FETAC accredited?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

You could just play dumb and show them the diplomas you have then say ''Oops, I though they were fetac'', if questioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

A friend of mine was in your situation. He simply photoshopped a fake letter from the DIT and faxed it into the office.

It worked. He's a fund accountant now. Previously he was a labourer on a building site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

liar.liar2 wrote: »
    I'm female. I'm working in a creche as a baby room worker. I have a montessori teaching diploma. I also have a childcare certificate which is validated by The college of progressive education. Its not fetac awarded and i told them that i have fetac childcare. And they are looking for fetac qualifications.

It sounds like you have broadly the right qualificiations though very slightly off what they are looking for exactly. I'd give them the existing qualifications and tell them you believed they were recognised by FETAC. Might not be such a major issue unless for some reason for certification or audit purposes they need FETAC specifically. There isn't a huge difference in any case. A lot of courses with FETAC awards are not necessarily better than those certified by other colleges.

Easiest solution is to give them what you have and tell them you believed they were FETAC accredited. Shouldn't be such a huge problem so.

As for all the people suggesting lying about qualifications or forging, I am involved in the hiring process and I take a very dim view of dishonesty. We have clients to which we are accountable and if we supply them with staff who are not what they or we say they are then we are accountable. They have regular outside audits so we cannot afford to keep people on who we know have lied to us as we cannot trust them, and our clients cannot then trust us. So we have let 2 or 3 people go in the last year who after some probing turned out to have significantly lied in order to get the job. Now we particularly scrutinize prehiring to make sure people have got the qualifications they say, they have worked in the places they claim, and are who they present themselves as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

WindSock wrote: »
    You could just play dumb and show them the diplomas you have then say ''Oops, I though they were fetac'', if questioned.

This seems the best option here, either that or politely decline the offer because you intend to change jobs soon. ;) Might not work best for you though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

shoegirl wrote: »
    Might not be such a major issue unless for some reason for certification or audit purposes they need FETAC specifically. There isn't a huge difference in any case. A lot of courses with FETAC awards are not necessarily better than those certified by other colleges.
    Perhaps, but conversely they might tell all their clients (the parents) and their liability insurer that all their workers have a minimum of FETAC awarded qualifications.

If the OP is lucky they'll accept 'equivalent' qualifications and believe that it was a genuine mistake. Otherwise I'd guess they'll be posting another advert.

I can imagine some of the parents taking it *very* badly if they found out that the creche allowed someone access to their babies on the basis of false pretenses.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

dublindude wrote: »
    A friend of mine was in your situation. He simply photoshopped a fake letter from the DIT and faxed it into the office.

It worked. He's a fund accountant now. Previously he was a labourer on a building site.

Thats fooking crazy!

I was doing some work a while ago for another company via my company.
    They wanted to see my degree which at the time I was moving and so were my parents so god only knows where it was. I popped into the college and got some transcripts but they werent good enough (my company had seen my degree but didnt take a photocopy) Eventually found it and sent a copy of it to the company.

I think it depends the GF works for a large MNC and wasnt asked for proof even though it was on her contract that she had to send it in.

After a few years in my field college qualifications matter less and experience is more sought after. There's a guy I worked with who was a self taught programmer and was the best i've ever seen.

Op just say you thought they were FETAC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

If you had 0 qualifications I would have told you to quit before you get fired. This way you would at least be able to use them as a reference.

But in your case I would just say you though they were fetac.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

WindSock wrote: »

this might be the best of a bad situation. i.e. you are being 'honest' and getting it out in the open.

also, and this is the important bit, start doing a FETAC qualification

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Your Montessori Diploma might have a fetac equivalent find out where it falls on the nfq scale (http://www.ics-skills.ie/eucip/images/NFQ.jpg)and it might fall in to the same level as the fetac cert.
    The as it is at the same level but different title you maybe ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

liar.liar2 wrote: »

For all I know, your qualifications could be very close to what they are looking for, but this could be a PR nightmare for your employers.

Forging qualifications in childcare would be an absolute no-no for me.

If parents found out that one of the staff had lied about the qualifications then I could see them getting very pissed off. If they found out that someone had faked it, then that could be the end of the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Garthicus

Just saying is all

http://www.trinityeducation.com/

***sorry, I just realised now that she is a childcare worker which I think is a huge no-no, you should resign gracefully and go and get your FETAC sorted***

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

A Montessori teaching diploma should be FETAC 5 equivalent (depending on the college). You should certainly have got a FETAC Component Certificate as part of the award.

I would phone up your Montessori College, and ask them to confirm this is the case.

Advertisement