Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will this setup work?

• 25-06-2008 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I want to put in an 88cm Triax dish and some kind of multi-LNB holder to receive Hotbird, W2 and Astra 1.
    Would this size dish be sufficient for reception of these satellites in Limerick?.
    Do you align to W2 and then the offsets are in place?.
    Also any recommendations on multi-LNB holders that are easy to configure and durable that would work with Triax dishes?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Danimalito

You'll need ALPS slimline LNBs for the 3 degrees separatation between 19,16,13E. Should be no problem receiving these satellites on your dish, center it on 16E. The LNBs will be right next to each other.

Don't think a generic multi-LNB holder will handle LNBs that are that tight, so you'll either have to macgywer something up, or try out the multi-LNB holder for Triax dishes (don't have any experience with these, but I think they might do the job).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Even then a Quad or Quattro Alps is like 5 degrees and single output is closer to 4 degrees. You really need a Wavefrontier T90 to get 3 degree separation reliably.

The standard Triax dish and Multi-LNB bracket is really limited to about > 4deg spacing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Interesting, it makes me think I'd be better off going for a dual feed and leaving W2.
    Are the Wave frontier dishes hard to set up?.

Shouldn't hard. you do central/weakest LNB 1st to align dish.

Dual Feed horns are really designed for Germany, 13+19 or 19+23.5 (different) and a particular dish. I've tested a few and the the spacing isn't ideal for Ireland. Better results with two separate LNBs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

What LNB's would be recommended for the Wave frontier?.

Looking at a picture of the Wave Frontier Torodial dishes I notice the unique design and was wondering if there are any kind of indicators or markings on the bit where the LNB's slide to show how many degrees apart you you are moving?.

Lets say you aligned to W2, could you then add LNB's and be automatically in the right place for other sats after you get it to the right postion on the slide bar?.

Great concept really and gives you room to expand as well.

When you mention the dual feed horns being suitable for Germany mostly, does that mean they would probably not work.
    I would have two LNB's but just both on a triax flexiblock 3-10 degrees feedhorn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

A cheaper alternative to a T-90 would be a 1.1M or 1.2M dish which would allow for LNBFs at 13E, 16E and 19E. It would have the advantage of higher gain with 16E on the focal point - useful as some of the TPs on 16E are weak. Obviously, a disadvantage is that it wouldn't have the same range as a T-90.

14wa24ff.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I have a T90 setup - using Alps Quad lnbs for 13*E/16*E/19*E/1*W - all working fine.
    Setup took me a long time - but that may be down to the way I went about it! Wouldnt be such a big deal second time round - although i suppose that could be said about anything.
    However, I couldnt envisage having to wall mount a T90. Would recommend ground/balcony mount only.

Iv'e never been able to get good 3 degree spacing on 80cm, 90cm or 1.1m Zaphod. The 13 &19 always a bit too far from correct position with a 16E fitted (a very old spike type from analogue days taped between the 19 & 13E was best).

The Monobloc dual feed horns do work, but the diseqc is built in so hard to add 3rd or 4th LNBs. Also less than optimal compared with separate LNBs.

With separate LNBs you can use Duals and have two sets of Diseqc for 2 receivers or 1 x Quad for Sky and diseqc switch on it and the other 3 LNBs, or One Quad/Quattro and the others Quattro and 16 in 16 out + terrestrial Distribution Multiswitch for 16 feeds, easily add a 2nd 16 way Multiswitch using 4 x quad splitters on LNB outputs.

My own multifeed with Alps "skinny" Quattros:
    multifeed.jpg

The monster thing at 2nd left is an ODU for 23.5E I was testing (two way satellite Internet). You can see the original 23.5E LNB on wall.

On the far right you can see the space between 19E and 13E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Watty - you need a new garden bench/table!

I jest of course!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've got 13E, 16E, 19E and 28E working OK on a Triax 1.1m. Using Inverto LNB's as feedhorn slightly narrower than others I had. Even at that, all 3 LNB's are touching each other, though channels are working OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rigel

Byte, this is exactly the setup I’m looking for, which Inverto LNBs did you use, difficult to make out the dimensions from their web site.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Rigel wrote: »
    Byte, this is exactly the setup I’m looking for, which Inverto LNBs did you use, difficult to make out the dimensions from their web site.
    http://www.inverto.tv/ProductsPage.asp?ProductID=59

Advertisement