Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best all round tyre???

Options
  • 25-06-2008 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

What in your own opinion is the best tyre for value for money, milage, keeping you on the road??
    I have Goodyear Eagle F1s on mine and ive put over 40K miles on them and thiers still plenty of life in them yet, great in the wet and good value i suppose, E75 per corner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Best all round tyre?

Aren't they all round?

Ahem.....I'll get my coat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

What in your own opinion is the best tyre for value for money, milage, keeping you on the road??
    I have Goodyear Eagle F1s on mine and ive put over 40K miles on them and thiers still plenty of life in them yet, great in the wet and good value i suppose, E75 per corner
    id wreckon wat u have is the best tyre for your car as your getting good value out of it r they the first original tyres on it to get tat much mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

id wreckon wat u have is the best tyre for your car as your getting good value out of it r they the first original tyres on it to get tat much mileage

Thier not originals,They were put on the car the week i bought it, just 3 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

17,000 miles was all I could get out of them on the Celica, beginning to go after that. €140 per tyre for the 205 50 R16's.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

infraction for s14driftking for repeated use of textspeak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think there is any one "best alround" tyre.

It can really depends on the car they are fitted to. For example I had Bridgestones on a car and found them to be completey rubish but other people found them great on their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Just bought 4 Nankang NS2 Sport tyres from Camskill for €195 and had them fitted for €40.

Great tyre, so far, very quiet & grip feels good.

Did a lot of research on them before I bought them and they were well received.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

40k is amazin out of Eagle F1's, I'd be delighted if I even got half that. I'd go with F1's again if I were you. They are brilliant in the wet and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I never heard great things about Nankangs, apart from that they're not too expensive. that said it's probably not fair to generalise all their tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LoopyBum

Pirelli

I've always kept same brand as it arrived from factory on. I wouldn't be mad about Goodyear, just a personal thing. Dunlop or Bridgestone would be fine too. I'd steer clear of the cheaper makes if you're doing big milage, but having said that, Federal can do the job surprisingly well and you can't beat their price! Michelin are just overrated and over priced and don't do 'claims', not a problem with cars, mostly affects trucks, car claims are nearly non existent in fairness...

So if you're happy with what you have then no point changing? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Best tyre for getting mileage is Michelan but they cost a fortune

Generally I get 30000 miles from Bridgestones for 150 a piece on a Mondeo.

Continetals are great in the dry but awful in the wet for same price.

Pirelli are fantastic but I could'nt get 15000 from them and are a bit closer to 180.

As LoopyBum said, if you are happy with your choice at the moment then why change.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i think the best VFM are Falken 452s

Best tyres imo are vredestein ultrac sessantason a reasonable budget and michelin ps2 if money no object

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't think there is any one "best alround" tyre.

It can really depends on the car they are fitted to. For example I had Bridgestones on a car and found them to be completey rubish but other people found them great on their cars.

Not criticising you in particular, but that statement is not really much use in that Bridgestone make many tyres, so the ones you had might be their worst ever make!
    For example, I never found Pirelli P6000's to be great, P5000's are much better for similar money. P Zero's even come in different guises.
    It's very hard to generalise a whole brand, but you can a little bit. It's possible to get a crap tyre from brand X and also get a fantastic tyre from the same brand. This thread would be more useful if people could remember the specific tyre they had.
    Dunlop SP sport 9000's I found fairly good, but not nearly as good as the Eagle F1's. Only lasted about 4k miles further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Avon ZZ3's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I have Goodyear Eagle F1s on mine and ive put over 40K miles on them
    That's extraordinary. Are you sure it's 40k miles?

I've Vredestein Sporttrac 3 on the car at moment. I'd rate them highly. They have that pointy-in-the-centre tread pattern, like the Goodyears, that's trendy at the moment.
    sporttrac3_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

anything you can afford really as if they work, no worrys, though generally i hate cheap tyres, semi slick bridgestones are prefferable but id love toyo's....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LoopyBum

rigal wrote: »
    Avon ZZ3's

Cheap Dunlop so OK by association lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

JHMEG wrote: »
    That's extraordinary. Are you sure it's 40k miles?

I've Vredestein Sporttrac 3 on the car at moment. I'd rate them highly. They have that pointy-in-the-centre tread pattern, like the Goodyears, that's trendy at the moment.
    sporttrac3_1.jpg

Absolutly positive, car had 39K when i got it, it now has 81K and i never changed them and i do like to give it the berries from time to time on nice twisty roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

I've 60K KM on a set of Michelin Energys - mostly backroads, plenty of bends and scrub. 3mm tread left on all (rotated every 9K KM). The car is prone to understeer and wet grip isn't fantastic but then it is a diesel Corolla so its hard to tell if its the car's fault or the tyres....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Vredestein Ultracs. I always buy them... Fantastic in the wet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

I have cheap chinese jintongs on my machine. Cant fault them, (did get them for free;)) then again they rarely get pushed to the limits but they are perfect for the type of driving I do.

barryfitz wrote: »
    I have cheap chinese jintongs on my machine. Cant fault them, (did get them for free;)) then again they rarely get pushed to the limits but they are perfect for the type of driving I do.

unless you need to brake suddenly in the wet :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I avoid the cheapest of the cheap, I just had four B.F. Goodrich tyres put on at €50 a corner.

Not much point in putting P-Zeroes on a Kangoo...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Extensive annual tyre tests (summer and winter tyres) in German car magazines have shown that not only is there a difference between brands and models of tyre, but that tyre size also affects performance.

One tyre may be the overall winner in a certain size/width, but may fall off its leading position once it's tested in a different size.

Something to do with how effective a certain thread pattern is relative to tyre width, as dynamics change relaive to the size of the tyre surface that is in contact with the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

LoopyBum wrote: »
    Pirelli

Which pirelli? Theres loads of types.

The goodyear eagle F1 ds3 is the grippiest tyre ive ever had, but they wear at a savage rate.

The best all round tyre (decent wear, cost, grip in dry and wet, handling) is the Toyo Proxes T1 R's at 120euro for 225/50 R16's.

My brother said that the Bridgestone Potenza S03s were the best all round tyre hes ever had.

Ive gor Continental premium contacts on all corners at the mo. Great grip, but savage wear on the back. Ill probably get about 15-18k miles out of them.

15-18k miles isnt savage wear

10k is pretty bad wear

7k is savage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Cyrus wrote: »
    15-18k miles isnt savage wear

10k is pretty bad wear

7k is savage :D

I can vouch for that, bought a new set of Rear 18" Continental Contisports at Christmas, they needed replacing last month with approx 7-8K Miles on them.

In now the proud owner of a set of 19" Falken's though;) and so far I'm impressed, same grip level as the conti's in the dry, haven't really pushed it in the wet yet. Hopefully they will be able to take a bit of abuse better than the conti's!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Bridgestone Turanza ER 300 195/65 R15 91V for my old 626 Sport, nice to thrash around a bit. They last 20,000 to 30,000 miles no problem, but are relatively expensive to replace (€100 per corner last time)

Victor_M wrote: »
    I can vouch for that, bought a new set of Rear 18" Continental Contisports at Christmas, they needed replacing last month with approx 7-8K Miles on them.

In now the proud owner of a set of 19" Falken's though;) and so far I'm impressed, same grip level as the conti's in the dry, haven't really pushed it in the wet yet. Hopefully they will be able to take a bit of abuse better than the conti's!

i found them good in the wet :) not goodyear f1 good but easily 90% as good, havent noticed any difference, good or bad, with the ps2s yet :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Eagle F1's in my opinion used to be the best you can get until they stopped making them. Yes they have stopped making them, all you will get are whats left in stock across the countries. One very important thing to remember is there are three types of Eagle F1.

One made in Germany
    One made in China
    One made in US

The ones made in Germany are the best tyres i ever had. They are made using a slightly different process and compound and this of course is something that Goodyear deny.

The ones in China/US which are the ones you will most likely get if you buy them now are not the same tyre and they do not offer the same grip in wet/dry conditions.

I am into my cars big time, Evo's, Teg Type R's, Civic Type R's etc so i do know a good tyre when i get one.

On my DC5 Teg Type R, i am using Toyo Proxes T1 R's and they are a very good tyre with good grip in the dry and wet.

I have had Yoko's also and while they were an ok tyre i found the sidewalls to be like bricks, and with my coilovers it was like being in a WWII tank.

Potenzas are another highly regarded tyre but you will pay for them as they are usually more expensive per corner.

If you are going for Toyo's DO NOT get the T1 S's, make sure its the T1 R's.

Advertisement