Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best all round tyre???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Bridgestone Turanza ER 300 195/65 R15 91V for my old 626 Sport, nice to thrash around a bit. They last 20,000 to 30,000 miles no problem, but are relatively expensive to replace (€100 per corner last time)

Just after putting these on my Integra, they seem pretty good so far and I've been told they should last longer than the last ones which only lasted 10k miles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I cannot believe people go out and put the cheapest rubber they can get on the car - would you skimp on medical procedures too ?

Anyway - I have always had a thing for the Eagle F1's having put them on a few cars - I put a set on my 320 recently and have had no cause for complaint.

One thing though, its a pity you cannot take cars for a test drive with different tyres on them.

I had a R5 GT turbo that had Michelins on it , tramlined like hell, even the white line in the road caused a bit of a fight to get over.
    Mate gave me a lone of his Pirelli ( P5 I think ) and the thing was way better although it did understeer a little earlier than before but given the GT turbos light rear ended ness it was better to be informed early that your a tool than late!

Anyway - car mags often do a controlled tests on this very subject. Worth a search, I know Autocar defo do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Turanzas, they were a great tyre. I tryed replacing my Turanza ER70s last year but was told by several places they were no longer made.

Several years ago I decided to save a few pennies by putting budget tyres on the car (cant remember the make of tyre), the result was being almost completely marooned trying to pull away from traffic lights during rainstorms, and I finally gave up on them after aquaplaning off the approach to a bridge (onto a farm track luckily) at a measily 20 mph. All four tyres came off the car after only two weeks and the Turanza ER70s went on - problem solved completely ! I definitely would put these on again - if I could get them :(.

Has anyone travelling the N3 regularly noticed tyre wear on the left hand side of the car increasing since the new tight roundabouts appeared on the N3 ? I've had to replace the two left hand tyres on my car recently because they suddenly started to wear down like mad - I have my suspicions about these roudabouts after trying to avoid a lump of metal while going around the roundabout near the Dunboyne turnoff and finding, as the car slewed sideways in response to trying to tighten my line by a foot or two, that I was already at limit of grip while going around the thing at reasonably sedate speed. Judging by the state of crash barrier there I think someone else found that out too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭hebejebees

Bridgestone Turanza ER 300 195/65 R15 91V for my old 626 Sport, nice to thrash around a bit. They last 20,000 to 30,000 miles no problem, but are relatively expensive to replace (€100 per corner last time)

Great tyre, In my opinion the ER300 is one of the best all rounders, probably paid a bit much for them though (€80-90 would be good)

Michelin Energys can't be beaten though, i've seen them do 60,000 miles on light vans but they cost far too much for most people to justify them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Omcd wrote: »
    Has anyone travelling the N3 regularly noticed tyre wear on the left hand side of the car increasing since the new tight roundabouts appeared on the N3 ? I've had to replace the two left hand tyres on my car recently because they suddenly started to wear down like mad - I have my suspicions about these roudabouts after trying to avoid a lump of metal while going around the roundabout near the Dunboyne turnoff and finding, as the car slewed sideways in response to trying to tighten my line by a foot or two, that I was already at limit of grip while going around the thing at reasonably sedate speed. Judging by the state of crash barrier there I think someone else found that out too...

Yea I've noticed that those roundabouts aren't great, and that for a new 2-lane (bus + driving) road, it's very narrow for some reason?

The first week or so that the road opened (without being lit at the Dunboyne roundabout), I was coming home late when the heavy fog decended.
    I slowed down (as you do) and was just remarking to my girlfriend, who was also in the car, that they really needed to light this road as there's a new roundabout ahead (wasn't exactly sure how far up at this stage as it was only my 2nd time on this stretch) when I found myself just about on it.

Luckily, the tyres/brakes (and the fact I wasn't going that fast anyway were enough) but the guy in front hadn't been that lucky as he was in the middle of the roundabout itself having gone through the signage on the edge of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Cyrus wrote: »
    unless you need to brake suddenly in the wet :rolleyes:

Incase you havent noticed cyrus, we do live in Ireland where it rains almost 360 days of the year, and where the quality of drivers is p1ss poor which leads to a lot of instances of having to brake suddenly. therefore I do often have to brake suddenly while in the wet and the tyres do an excellent job. You can have your rolleyes back, :rolleyes: Of course, braking in an emergency is also a skill, and the tyres arent the only factor in bringing you to a safe stop.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

barryfitz wrote: »
    Incase you havent noticed cyrus, we do live in Ireland where it rains almost 360 days of the year, and where the quality of drivers is p1ss poor which leads to a lot of instances of having to brake suddenly. therefore I do often have to brake suddenly while in the wet and the tyres do an excellent job. You can have your rolleyes back, :rolleyes: Of course, braking in an emergency is also a skill, and the tyres arent the only factor in bringing you to a safe stop.;)

well i can only assume that you have never had to emergency brake in the wet, or else you wouldnt be posting here now, tyres are the single most important factor and doesnt matter how good a driver you think you are, if you have crap tyres you will end up in a wall or someone elses car.

if you ever look at any tyre test you will see that braking distances in the wet can vary by up to 10 metres from best to worst and this is with premium tyres, your linglongs or whatever they are will add another 5-10, so are you telling me that they are safe?

cheap tyres are cheap for a reason, keep telling yourself they are just as good as expensive tyres

have this back :rolleyes:you deserve it :p

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ive got 225/45/r17 f1s at the minute. Great tyre. Havnt let me down (touch wood). Saying that, they need to be rotatated. Do kwik fit rotate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Is there any point rotating tyres ? Why not just replace the front 2 when needed and leave the back as is (or vice-versa in rwd).

Ive got eagle nct 5s on mine and they do a decent job. Is there alot of tire noise from F1 ?

so are you telling me that they are safe?
    perfectly safe as long as I dont drive like a spanner and adjust my speed for the conditions.
    keep telling yourself they are just as good as expensive tyres
    And where did I say this.

EDIT: I would imagine that the best tyre for one mans car is not the best one for anothers. Given the different weights of cars, types/sizes of discs etc etc. My two cents.

• Advertisement

barryfitz wrote: »
    perfectly safe as long as I dont drive like a spanner and adjust my speed for the conditions.

And where did I say this.

on point a) i completely disagree but im not going to change your mind and its your look out

on point b) its what you are implying, you say they do an excellent job in the wet, in order for them to do an excellent job in the wet they would need to get as good as one of the best tyres in the wet no?

on point b) its what you are implying, you say they do an excellent job in the wet, in order for them to do an excellent job in the wet they would need to get as good as one of the best tyres in the wet no?

You can draw what you want from that by applying whatever logic you want but no that is not what I was implying. I said my "linglongs" do an excellent job at stopping my car (I know this through first hand expecience), not that they do a better job than the more expensive tyres. i.e they do what they are designed to do and do it well. equally as well as my last set of Hankooks or Toyos. I cant compare them to Pirelli's or Bridgestones as Ive never had the need to put these on my car, why would I when the ones I have, have not let me down.

Anyway I hate these stupid arguments (for the sake of argueing) that seem to ruin so many threads. Il not say any more, I posted my opinion in the first post.

Sorry guys let the thread continue.

this isnt a stupid argument, its actually very important, and people giving first hand experience of linglongs and stating that they are good may encourage others to buy them :(

they dont do an excellent job at stopping your car, because it will take them up to 20m more to stop it than goodyear f1s or vredestein ultracs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Biro wrote: »
    17,000 miles was all I could get out of them on the Celica, beginning to go after that. €140 per tyre for the 205 50 R16's.

Thats about the same as me on my Celica, 215,45,17 €120 per tyre for me :)

You've done well to get 40k out of them, there must be alot of straight roads where you live. :pac:

Advertisement