Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripoff

Options
  • 25-06-2008 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I just came home after living in Jamaica for a couple of years and I can't survive here anymore. Its ****ed up. How the hell can people live in this place when everythings such a ripoff? I made friends with a few Romanian gypsies and I'm studying their habits. Seeing how they live so cheaply. I got a job as a construction laborer but I hardly get paid ****all. I make 350 Euro a week but its not enough to cover the rent and the food.

I think I'm gonna work for a year or two while and live on a beach in the summer then when I have a good bit of money saved move to a poor country like India. Jamaica was insane. I took my money and managed to live there for a year. I made hardly anything working over there but with 7 grand I managed to live well for 2 years straight.

Comments

The romanians who lived beside me lived by not paying for anything and moving on when the baliffs came.
    Classy.

Why live in Dublin if you want to live cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Unaton

Get a better job. Even Tescos pay more. And why did you expect Dublin to be cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I can't survive here anymore. Its ****ed up. How the hell can people live in this place when everythings such a ripoff?

Don't get ripped off! ;)

Get some street sense. Shop in cheaper discount shops, wait for sales, research cheap but good restaurants, do free things.... lots of things you can do to live frugally in Dublin. It just takes a bit of work.

There is other reasons Dublin can be pricey, you have the safety aspect. As you say in your other post:
    HAHAHAH Jesus Christ if anyone here thinks Dublin is bad they need to go to some third world cities and see how safe it is.....

The people are friendly and all but going out at night theres like walking through a battlefield in Afghanistan. You have to be ready for anything. Of course being white made things 10 times worse for me but theres so many murders there its ridiculous. In St Annes Bay alone there were about 50 murders in the 2 years I was there and thats not even one of the bad parts of Jamaica. Kingston accounts for 70% of Jamaicas murders and on average 3 people get killed in Jamaica a day.

Americans and Europeans are such pussies its ridiculous. They have no idea what safe and priviledged lives they have. I been to the so called bad cities in America like New Orleans, Memphis, D.C. and Detroits and its like going on a picnic in the vatican city compared to cities like Kingston and Maypen in Jamaica. I think Americans and Europeans should try living in some of the cities in Jamaica or Brazil or South Africa and see how bad they think they're city is after that.

So Dublin may be cheap, but from what you say its a tranquil safe place to be. Even if we are pussies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Lets all move to Iraq. I bet everything that's still standing is dirt cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Jamaica was insane. I took my money and managed to live there for a year. I made hardly anything working over there but with 7 grand I managed to live well for 2 years straight.

I wouldn't live there whatever you offered me. It's an absolute pissoire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CrackBadger

True it is a safe place to live but so is England and its half the price. Better yet eastern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

.....door.....ass......way out.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

we wont miss you tbh.

take your gypsy pals wherever you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's lots of reasons why Dublin is a rip-off (including not enough competition, taxation on fuel, alcohol) etc but do you remember when we had the punt and you had to change your money when you went hols? And depending on how well Ireland was doing you'd get more or less sterling\dollar\mark\francs etc for your money? Prices at home would stay the same.

Well, that can't happen anymore as we're part of a common currency. So if Ireland is doing well, we don't get more Euros for our punt, we have to get more Euros - in wages, in shop prices, in charges etc etc
    Now when we go to Europe, instead of changing our money, we take our bigger wad of Euros.
    The downside of course is that if Ireland starts doing badly, it's very hard for wages and prices to move downwards (which happened automatically with a currency) so the result will be jobs being lost and shops shutting down...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well, my friend moved back from Jamiaca to dublin after living out there for 5 years.

She was completely shocked at how much the cost of living in dublin had risen but she thought it was worth it what with not having to get her water shipped in, having armed security on house, no mozzies, or big spiders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I made friends with a few Romanian gypsies and I'm studying their habits.
    judas101 wrote: »
    take your gypsy pals wherever you go.

:D Did you notice the way most of them lurk around ATMs by any chance?!

+1 Good riddance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Yeah,
    We are being fleeced in Ireland for sure.
    I can't understand why people seem to get offended when you point it out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I just came home after living in Jamaica for a couple of years and I can't survive here anymore. Its ****ed up. How the hell can people live in this place when everythings such a ripoff? I made friends with a few Romanian gypsies and I'm studying their habits. Seeing how they live so cheaply. I got a job as a construction laborer but I hardly get paid ****all. I make 350 Euro a week but its not enough to cover the rent and the food.

I think I'm gonna work for a year or two while and live on a beach in the summer then when I have a good bit of money saved move to a poor country like India. Jamaica was insane. I took my money and managed to live there for a year. I made hardly anything working over there but with 7 grand I managed to live well for 2 years straight.
    If your studying the habits of gypsies we should expect to see you around the quays begging fairly soon so should we. Perhaps you should 'study' for a qualifaction that will enable you to get a job that pays decently,of which there are many. Offering roma's as an example of how to get along in life doesn't bode well for your future my friend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

yeah why does everyone ALWAYS say "Don't slam the door..." etc when someone complains about prices in Ireland? The man has a point although comparing Ireland to 3rd world countries is pointless. What gets me is that there are countries with much better public services and facilities and better quality of life yet stuff is still a lot cheaper. Seriously it's a shambles the prices thing. Yes you can shop cheap but most people don't do it and their stupidity drives them to keep shopping in rip-off joints thus keeping prices up everywhere. Another thing - why don't we EVER have cheap food offers in any bars, or cheap drink offers? Here in Melbourne, which is a much bigger, richer, thriving city than dublin, you can still go to nice parts of town and get a pizza for $5, or a pint for $4.50 even on a saturday night, or $2 beers nights etc. etc.
    Why is there no competition in Dublin? is it publicans and restaurantiers in league with each other or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

350 a week as a labourer? The minimum wage for a labourer is def. over 15 euro an hour in any place I've ever worked so it sounds like your being ripped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Gileadi wrote: »
    350 a week as a labourer? The minimum wage for a labourer is def. over 15 euro an hour in any place I've ever worked so it sounds like your being ripped

He's probably being emergency taxed and hasn't realised :rolleyes:

Or he's on the RCT and doesn't know about that either. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

friends with Gypsies? gross

Advertisement