Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do y'all have for breakfast?

• 25-06-2008 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, just wondering what everyone has as a nutritous filling breakfast?

I'm sorta looking for ideas cos I'm getting a bit bored of the usual brown toast and peanut butter (gotta squeeze my protein in somehow). I think this is an alright breakfast but I'm sure there's better out there, only thing is, I'm very picky in the mornings, I don't like anything too sweet or with too much flavour or bulk e.g.

Porridge is too heavy
    I don't like eggs
    Meat for breakfast just seems weird to me
    I don't like milk or dairy products (except for ice-cream, but I think my toast is probably a tad healthier than that)

So should I just stick with my usual then?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

This morning, I had a Tesco Healthy Living lean steak and mushrooms cooked in chili infused olive oil. It took no time to cook, and I felt full for hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Steak for breakfast? :eek: That's pretty hardcore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

100g of nuts and seeds.

Every 2 months or so I go to the health food shop and spend ~80 euro on pistachios, walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, linseed, hemp seed, sunflower seeds...and whatever else is available (they usually have large mixed bags too) and then mix them all together and have 100g a day for breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I had 4 weetabix for breakfast, same as everyday. They normally fill me up for a few hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Piste wrote: »
    Meat for breakfast just seems weird to me
    Any particular reason?
    I have steak too sometimes. I am always interested in hearing the logic as to why people think it is odd, and have never had a reasonable reply. I find it very confusing as to why some people think pigs seem perfectly acceptable to eat in the morning, but not cows. What is the difference between these animals that makes one acceptable to eat at a cetain time?

At what exactly what time of day does it suddenly become acceptable to you to eat cows? 11.48am?

Try your porridge oats uncooked, just mix oats with milk, maybe some honey mixed in the milk.

Or oat pancakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh weetabix are greatly filling, i couldn't eat 4 of them in one sitting though. 2 max.

they keep me going until lunchtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Cremo wrote: »
    they keep me going until lunchtime.
    Now I'm picturing you as the lad on the Weetabix ad banging away on his bedroom drum-set :D

The power of marketing...

I have two eggs scrambled with a dash of olive oil and a small handful of grated mozarella and cheddar cheese.

rubadub wrote: »
    Any particular reason?

No to be honest :o meat just seems a bit heavy-going for me in the morning. I *might* have something like a rasher for breakfast if I get up at 12/1pm but that's very rare tbh.

Re the steak, I don't like steak at all, any time of day so I certainly wouln't eat it for breakfast. I also don't tend to be too hungry in the morning so I like something quite bland which is why I eat my toast.

Oat pancakes sound nice though :) What would be an aquqaute serving for the morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

My breafast is pretty much the same every day but the fruit varies. This morning it was one weetabix with:
    1 diced peach,
    a half a medium banana,
    2 teaspoons of seed mix (sunflower, pumpkin, hemp, linseed),
    1 teaspoon chopped hazelnuts,
    1 teaspoon soya bran,
    1 teaspoon wheatgerm,
    semi skimmed milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I either have:
    Weetabix.
    Porridge with seeds.
    Boiled egg on a slice of toast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

high 8 museli
    all bran
    bran flakes
    egg whites scrambeled
    porridge honey & seeds

usually mix and match, all with skimmed milk etc

Try it, you'll like it. Honestly, meat is far less trouble to cook than eggs, far more filling, and just the though of a nice bit of steak is enough to get me out of my bed at some ungodly hour of the morning. Cold cereal? No thanks, I'll stay in bed.

Ah no I dont like steak at any time of day, not a huge fan of read meat really (though it's hard to resist a good burger!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

breakfast roll, just had one there, there good for dinner too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Wish I could have a steak for breakfast but me Da wouldn't be happy at all having to buy 7 steaks a week for breakfast.
    So instead it's porridge and a protein shake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭jaffa20

A few cups of coffee. A croissant and and various fruit. On the weekends, you can't beat a fry up :P

EDIT: i forgot a few cigarettes and they are normally the priority "coughs- i really should quit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Usually have cornflakes or Weetabix followed by a banana and a cup of tea.
    Actually breakfast is my favourite meal of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

two bananas and a coffee most days, if I have time a bowl of fruit with some muesli in the winter porridge. I would never have time to cook meat in the morning but I dont see anything wrong with steak if you would eat a rasher why not a steak? I wouldnt eat a rasher though either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Natural Yoghurt and a cup of tea with skim milk and no sugar...sorry meant to say too thats on weekdays on weekends i have 2 boiled eggs 2 grilled rasher medallions and 2 sausages with brown bread and cottage cheese....

Usually....

Special k with mixed milled seed and soya milk.
    Mushroom omelette.
    Rye crispbreads or toast with horseradish or pepper cream chesse.
    Quinoa/oat porridge with dried fruit.
    Cottage cheese with pineapple.
    Boxty.
    Yoghurt.
    Fruit.

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Boxty.

what??????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

BostonB wrote: »

jesus i guess im not that irish ha

I've made boxty. It's way too much trouble except on special occasions. Just grating all those raw spuds is enough cardio for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I've gotten into a routine of having pancakes and coffee for breakfast. I'm continually altering the pancake batter mix. Todays one consisted of:

150g oats
    60g various nuts
    120g whey
    2 eggs
    40g white flour
    water

Blend it all up. American style pancakes. Bit of tasty jam on top (possibly some butter). NYOM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I'm pretty boring when it comes to breakfast, during the week its usually weetabix or special K with skimmed milk and a spoon of sweetner. At the weekend I love poached eggs and toast - yummy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's often eggs of some form, usually scrambled or omelette. Today I had a smoked salmon and creme fraiche omelette.

Sometimes it's 2 grilled rashers and a piece of cheese. Or a slice of cold cooked meat and cheese.

At weekends, I love to get boneless lamb chops and fry them in a little butter and oil for breakfast. Yum - maybe with mushrooms.

All this is washed down with about a pint of water and a cup of coffee.

I have to follow a gluten-free diet - but even so, the idea of bread/cereal for breakfast it utterly unappealing.

EileenG wrote: »
    I've made boxty. It's way too much trouble except on special occasions. Just grating all those raw spuds is enough cardio for the day.

They sell readymade, but tbh you can't beat your own and the food processor is a wonderful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Stella89

Porridge with a sprinkling of goji berries and a dollop of honey .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Khannie wrote: »
    I've gotten into a routine of having pancakes and coffee for breakfast. I'm continually altering the pancake batter mix. Todays one consisted of:

150g oats
    60g various nuts
    120g whey
    2 eggs
    40g white flour
    water

Blend it all up. American style pancakes. Bit of tasty jam on top (possibly some butter). NYOM.

I have tried your pancakes from reading them on a previous thread (long time ago). Brought them into work and everything fro coffee break. Everyone has agreed they are top notch.
    Thanks Khannie!!

Advertisement