Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recommendationsns on a book

• 25-06-2008 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi guys,
    I am windering if anyone who is undertaking psychology at the moment could recommend a general book on research report writing. I am looking for something that includes quantitative and qualitative research. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

When I was in Trinity the core text for our research methodology course was "Research Methods in Psychology" by Shaughnessy, Shaughnessy & Zeichmeister. It should be available in Hodges Figgis or Waterstones. I remember it as being fairly comprehensive, although most of those type of books are fine for an undergraduate level. I'd say have a flick through a few options, check out the contents page and find one that you like the writing style and emphasis of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 seventhwave

Thanks for that, Semele. I will check that book out.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

The open university do a brilliant book - on research and reporting writing in psychology. I can recommend

Designing and Reporting Experiments in Psychology (Open Guides to Psychology) by Peter Harris

They also do texts on Qualitative Methods & Quantitative Mehtods, respectively.

I've heard from many people outside of OU (and being OU graduate myself) that there books are very good when compared against the 'market'. But have a read of them yourself and see what you think.

Thanks Surion, that a great help. It has good reviews on amazon also. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genevieve

Real world research, 2nd ed, Robson........... might be useful with the above book ( Research methods in psychology).

• Advertisement

Thanks Genevieve for your suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Research Methods and Ststistics in Psychology. 4th edition. Hugh Coolican.
    I had this throughout my 4 year degree, I hated Research methods, I found it insanely complicated. This book was a lifesaver (this book and my lecturer who I'm sure was very glad to be rid of me after all the pestering, poor woman! lol)

Advertisement