Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worst. episode. EVER

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Kiith wrote: »
    Kalamarain, count to 4, kalamarain, and then 3 more, kalamarain, if you can see, kalamarain, you'll come with me. :pac:

:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ow just remembered that, owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

How about the second ever DS9 episode when the first aliens to come through the wormhole get the DS9 crew to play some kind of dopey game?
    Surprise, surprise the crew get trapped in the game ...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Oh right :D

The episode of TOS where Kirk takes Klingon prisoners but a gaseous alien also comes aboard. It manipulates events and objects so that the two groups fight constantly but no-one ever dies, eventually Kirk unites with the Klingons to defeat the alien, by laughing at it....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I dont know how or why i remembered that DS9 song thing. I just find it funny when Sisko sings...

Sisko: The best is yet to come (in strange dulcet tones)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

That DS9 episode with them trapped in that game was awful alright. I watched Shades of Gray but didn't find it that bad to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Surprized no-one's mentioned Voyager's Threshold yet- see here which was fairly dire. But then again, Voyager is hardly lacking in terrible episodes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

DS9 - The Muse

Odo gets married to Troi's mother and some rubbish thing with some alien wan stealing Jakes mojo while helping him to be a great writer

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

For me, the episode of Star Trek most in need of complete erasure is final TNG movie Nemesis (click for the annotated script).

The annotated script gives many many reasons to hate this cynical excuse for a TNG movie, but my main reason is that, for the last outing of the TNG crew, who were given such a magical send-off, such a fitting goodbye, in "All Good Things..." this is possibly the most cursory and disrespectful ending they could have expected.

The movie is awful, and yet they do these huge things in it, like kill off one of the most important characters, and it has no narratival significance at all here. Besides which, of all the people to kill off, he is probably the worst choice, since all through the series he is the one whose future is the most certain, and who has the most potential.

And then there's the demystification of the Romulan empire, and the curtailment of it ever being significant again. There's the continuity errors.

It's all very sad. It nearly made me as sad as watching Peter Jackson's abortion of LotR.

But I recently watched through TNG, and my all time most hated episode of that is The Child, where Deanna Troi gets mysteriously pregnant, and the child grows up too fast, and because there's not much plot, the emotional factor is all hammed up, and because the script was lifted from TOS2, it doesn't suit the characters, and the whole thing seems dead and uncomfortable.

The first few eps were pretty bad, but that's to be expected. Naked Now. Code of Honour. Justice. Angel One. When the Bough Breaks. And all of the Wesley moments. But there were some gems in there too, the like of which TNG would never return to.

Then The Child. Up the Long Ladder. Shades of Grey wasn't that bad.

Thereafter, I can't remember that any TNG episodes ever got worse than a little boring, although many were classic.

DS9 is another story. There were a lot of awful episodes in that. And most of the good ones required selective endurance, so that you canceled out the bad handling. I personally believe ALL of DS9 was pretty lacklustre until the final 8 episodes or so. They were really good.

I haven't watched any more than 2 or three voyager episodes.

None of Enterprise.

And JJ Abrams? Come on. He's a philistine. His will be the least Trek-like Trek ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

TOS: where Spock hi-jacks the enterprise, and makes everyone rewatch the pilot ep. Cant believe they made it a 2 parter too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

...But I recently watched through TNG, and my all time most hated episode of that is The Child, where Deanna Troi gets mysteriously pregnant, and the child grows up too fast, and because there's not much plot, the emotional factor is all hammed up, and because the script was lifted from TOS2, it doesn't suit the characters, and the whole thing seems dead and uncomfortable..

I kind of liked that one, or at least I thought it wasn't too bad, not particularly for the plot but because of the introduction of Worf and Riker's beards, the atmosphere-containing force-fields across the shuttle bay door, Geordi as Chief Engineer, generally improved SFX etc

Nemesis was a travesty as was Voyager, the remulans wtf????!!!!!!!!!!! It was so ad hoc for shame!

Voyager royally raped the Borg, and First Contact kinda ruined the mystique of the Borg by comparing them to an ant colony...The Borg were much more alien and threatening by not being remotely familiar in TNG, a gestalt consciousness without any central nexus was a far more interesting concept than one with a Queen because it was more mysterious and allowed for more theorizations on the part of the viewers. Anyway Nemesis sucked ass. Why did they kill Data off, and the B4 was inherently lame. It was somewhat similar to the TOS episode where they encounter the evil versions of themselves from the mirror universe. ARGH!, It was so terrible...

I only approach Star Trek in terms of TNG and possibly DS9. The characters in TNG were so deeply complex. Initially you are faced with perfect characters but their personalities are explored in such a subtle way in terms of inner aspirations, contradictions and insecurities. They are totally humane.

The true greatness of character development is this element of 3 dimensionality, where the characters traits aren't set out at the beginning and where those traits are slowly revealed and developed in relation to dramatic situations. A lot of TV shows lack this element as do a lot of novels.

Roland of Gilead was a great character because you found out more about him which offset his initial appearance as a lone gunslinger. As with Picard, who was a unique character of incredibly complexity, a philosopher diplomat, a master politician and intellectual who had his own flaws. Data was a great character with a brilliant philosophical conceit, a sentient lifeform exploring humanity through his aspiration to become more human. TNG was an epic saga that portrayed a greatly expanded and realized universe in epic swathes.
    The Son of Mog family restoration storyline brought this out as did the Borg conflict, the Romulan episodes and more than anything else the Q thread, because ultimately the whole series was a test for humanity and its potential. That is why TNG is, imo, the greatest television show ever made.

I love Star Trek

The End

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

For me, the episode of Star Trek most in need of complete erasure is final TNG movie Nemesis (click for the annotated script).

The annotated script gives many many reasons to hate this cynical excuse for a TNG movie, but my main reason is that, for the last outing of the TNG crew, who were given such a magical send-off, such a fitting goodbye, in "All Good Things..." this is possibly the most cursory and disrespectful ending they could have expected.

The movie is awful, and yet they do these huge things in it, like kill off one of the most important characters, and it has no narratival significance at all here. Besides which, of all the people to kill off, he is probably the worst choice, since all through the series he is the one whose future is the most certain, and who has the most potential.

And then there's the demystification of the Romulan empire, and the curtailment of it ever being significant again. There's the continuity errors.

It's all very sad. It nearly made me as sad as watching Peter Jackson's abortion of LotR.

But I recently watched through TNG, and my all time most hated episode of that is The Child, where Deanna Troi gets mysteriously pregnant, and the child grows up too fast, and because there's not much plot, the emotional factor is all hammed up, and because the script was lifted from TOS2, it doesn't suit the characters, and the whole thing seems dead and uncomfortable.

The first few eps were pretty bad, but that's to be expected. Naked Now. Code of Honour. Justice. Angel One. When the Bough Breaks. And all of the Wesley moments. But there were some gems in there too, the like of which TNG would never return to.

Thereafter, I can't remember that any TNG episodes ever got worse than a little boring, although many were classic.

DS9 is another story. There were a lot of awful episodes in that. And most of the good ones required selective endurance, so that you canceled out the bad handling. I personally believe ALL of DS9 was pretty lacklustre until the final 8 episodes or so. They were really good.

None of Enterprise.

And JJ Abrams? Come on. He's a philistine. His will be the least Trek-like Trek ever.
    So much of that post just seems so wrong to me. Peter Jackson's abortion of LotR?? All of DS9 being bad, except the final 8 episodes?? Crazy talk :confused:
    I only approach Star Trek in terms of TNG and possibly DS9. The characters in TNG were so deeply complex. Initially you are faced with perfect characters but their personalities are explored in such a subtle way in terms of inner aspirations, contradictions and insecurities. They are totally humane.
    DS9 had far more believable characters then TNG. Things that happened the week before actually effect what happens in future episodes, rather then them never, ever being mentioned again.

hmmm, I prefer the characterization of TNG, DS9 just wasn't as interesting for me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Voyager, in general, wasn't great but the 2 episodes I thought were the worst were the "irish" holodeck episodes. All they were missing were a few leprechauns :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

None of Enterprise.

Wow, I almost passed out from the stink of bull**** from this.

You're right about the movie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Kojak wrote: »
    Voyager, in general, wasn't great but the 2 episodes I thought were the worst were the "irish" holodeck episodes. All they were missing were a few leprechauns :rolleyes:

TBH Star trek has a terrible history for portraying the irish is a really twee way

in TOS I can think of two particular incidents:

1. In one episode Ensign O'Brien, under the influence of some alien or disease, takes over the ship from engineering and spends the episode singing bad irish ballads in a silly accent as the ship heads for oblivion.

2. In another they are some planet where your emotions are turned into real people or something and some irish Bully that annoyed Kirk in the academy appears so they can have the usual Kirk fight scene. the 'Oirish guy's' accent and dialogue is truely awful.

I also heard a story that in TNG or DS9 there was going to be some plot involving a leprechaun but that Colm meany objected so strongly to what was proposed it was changed to some other kinda creature.

I also now remember in TNG they had some colonists based on Irish peasants...shudder!

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Wow, I almost passed out from the stink of bull**** from this.
    By which you mean what, exactly?

I dislike PJ's LOTR for principled reasons I won't go into.

And while DS9 was interesting, and had a more sustained story arc than TNG, I have good reasons for thinking that certain things about its execution and the choices they made held the series back from being really, really good. The last 8 episodes, though, were really spot on. It was a whole new league of good.

And I happen to think JJ Abrams is responsible for a lot of awful, self-consciously fashionable, "try-hard to be intelligent" television, which is entirely vacuous of the "flaws and all" depth that Star Trek once in a while managed to produce. I don't want him anywhere near Trek, not that that makes an iota of difference.

Call it mere opinion, but it's not bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Mena wrote: »
    Any episode with Polaski in it :mad:

Jesus yeah, she was an awfull sour faced bint :/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Anti wrote: »
    Jesus yeah, she was an awfull sour faced bint :/
    Ya but ya would, wouldn't ya.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Riskymove wrote: »
    T

I also heard a story that in TNG or DS9 there was going to be some plot involving a leprechaun but that Colm meany objected so strongly to what was proposed it was changed to some other kinda creature.

no they still had that, it was the ep with the Japanese baseball star and the station was getting sucked into a blackhole type thing and they had a leprechaun to, I thought it was a good ep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Mr E wrote: »
    Every. Single. Episode. - with Troi's mother.

christ yeah..

So the below formula works:
    L+ P + I= S
    where L= Troi's mother Lwaxanna
    P= Polaski
    I= Irish
    S=****e

or LPIS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I liked how naff the irish episodes were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Farehaven ep's in voyager was super gay.

Like above, anything with troi's mother was just horrible :/ Especially the one where she got naked !! *shudder*

The ep where picard was held captive by the cardassian in TNG. Naked old guy :/ *shudder* Or any of the eps with whoppi goldberg. Guinen (sp?)

And the daft "profits" episodes in ds9.

Anti wrote: »
    The ep where picard was held captive by the cardassian in TNG. Naked old guy :/ *shudder*

That was one of my favourite episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Me too - it was brilliant

christ yeah..

So the below formula works:
    L+ P + I= S
    where L= Troi's mother Lwaxanna
    P= Polaski
    I= Irish
    S=****e

or LPIS.

LIPS!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

no they still had that, it was the ep with the Japanese baseball star and the station was getting sucked into a blackhole type thing and they had a leprechaun to, I thought it was a good ep :D

Yeah thats it but was in not Rumplestiltskin or something like that rather than a leprechaun?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Riskymove wrote: »
    Yeah thats it but was in not Rumplestiltskin or something like that rather than a leprechaun?

The same premise, he had a weird name that the chief had to guess in order to stop the leprechaun like thing taking his kid.

I thought that was a good episode, in fairness there's not many I dont like but that irish cailin with Riker from the TNG episode was pretty damn fine:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Nemesis was a travesty as was Voyager, the remulans wtf????!!!!!!!!!!! It was so ad hoc for shame!

Reman's. They are mentioned in DS9 when the Romulans join the war against the Dominion. One could also argue that Data isn't dead ;)

Worst episodes:
    Most of the 1st season of DS9, anything to do with the prophets, "Its not linear" oh do STFU!
    Any of the Voyager or TNG episodes with the Irish *shakes head*
    Season 1 of Enterprise, from about mid season 2 onwards I thought it had some good potential, then when it was finally getting good they just ended it :(

Advertisement