Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worst. episode. EVER

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Series two of TNG- Shades of Gray. A clip show in the second season, gimmie a break!
    Series four of TNG- The Host. The creepy one where Beverly falls in love with a parasite who changes to different bodies. Most Dr. Crusher episodes are a bit weird to be honest. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

The last DS9 episode. They f**ked that up so bad Gene Roddenberry must have been turning in his urn.

Considering he was in a zero gravity environment at the time, not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

The last DS9 episode. They f**ked that up so bad Gene Roddenberry must have been turning in his urn.

Considering he was in a zero gravity environment at the time, not impossible.

I agree, absolutely. It was such an anti-climactic ending for a great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

How was it any worse than the rest of the series? I hated the final episode too but it was the last crap episode for the series in an almost straight run of three seasons worth of crap episodes from DS9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Slice wrote: »
    How was it any worse than the rest of the series? I hated the final episode too but it was the last crap episode for the series in an almost straight run of three seasons worth of crap episodes from DS9
    The Ship? In Pugatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light? Trials and Tribbilations? For The Uniform? Empok Nor? Favor The Bold/Sacrifice of Angels? The Magnificent Ferengi? Far Beyond the Stars? In the Pale Moonlight?
    All in those last three seasons, all (to my mind) classics. Though, yes, there were a lot of duds, but I don't remember them, I remember these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You're crazy, completely crazy.

Season Four onwards of DS9 is brilliant.

Best Star Trek by a country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

Favourite Son- the Voyager ep where Harry Kim believes he's actually from an alien race or something and goes to live a planet full of women who all want to have sex with him and then kill him if my memory serves. (and msot of the last three seasons of Voyager are pretty bad too)

The wrestling episode in Voy. The twenith time they based an episode solely on the theme of the Doctors ego getting ahead of him, it became somewhat frustrating.

Mudd's Women- but it's of it's time I suppose

Up the Long Ladder- for all the reasons mentioned above,

The Storyteller (DS9 season 1) where O'Brien has to become a storyteller to keep away an energy beast who kills the villagers. (DS9 is by far my favourite show but some of the first two seasons were fairly dire)
    The Muse, pretty bad.

Most of Enterprise was pretty bad but any episode involving T'Pol and Trip where it seemed to be convieniently forgotten that she was a Vulcan.
    And that awful season one episode they go on shore leave.

As a general rule:

Ferengi Episodes
    Lwaxana Troi episodes

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd have to agree with everyone else here, and say your crazy. From mid way through season 3, DS9 was consistently better then any other star trek. It had the best overall seasons, as well as the best individual episodes (In the Pale Moonlight...i mean how fantastic was that episode?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with everyone else here, and say your crazy. From mid way through season 3, DS9 was consistently better then any other star trek. It had the best overall seasons, as well as the best individual episodes (In the Pale Moonlight...i mean how fantastic was that episode?)

The Siege of AR-558 pips it. It's pretty close though.

Slice is on crack ftr.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I agree with a lot of above. Troy's mother's episodes, prophets episodes, shades of grey. Some holodeck episodes!

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    The Siege of AR-558 pips it. It's pretty close though.
    I found the embattled, besieged Starfleet officers annoying- clichéd. In The Pale Moonlight was great because it dealt just with the established cast, showing Sisko's dark side, Garak's inhumanity and cold-hearted, calculating approach, and Quark's ruthlessness for profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

+ 1 for in the pale of moonlight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Have to agree. Anything to do with the prophets/troi's aul wan/okompa/ferengi/holodeck/the doctor(voyager)/back in time eps etc etc wrecked my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Manties wrote: »
    Have to agree. Anything to do with the prophets/troi's aul wan/okompa/ferengi/holodeck/the doctor(voyager)/back in time eps etc etc wrecked my head.

I can agree with most of this, but the Doctor was one of the best characters in all of Star Trek!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Caderyn wrote: »
    Series four of TNG- The Host. The creepy one where Beverly falls in love with a parasite who changes to different bodies.

You may not remember it , but he was a trill...

There's a picture of Terry Farrell somewhere wearing that old Trill makeup-
    here - and you can see why they decided to change it to the spots ;)

I can agree with most of this, but the Doctor was one of the best characters in all of Star Trek!

Oh no. I liked the Doctor initially (the secondary story line in the Swarm was a great example of good Doctor episode) but, after season 5, every single episode seemed to be about the doctor singing/ letting his ego get ahead of him/ falling in love / becoming more human in a generally cringworthy way.

It's been a while since I watched Voyager but didn't they get rid of every character except the Doctor and Seven after season 5 or did it just seem that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

DesignLady wrote: »
    Oh no. I liked the Doctor initially (the secondary story line in the Swarm was a great example of good Doctor episode) but, after season 5, every single episode seemed to be about the doctor singing/ letting his ego get ahead of him/ falling in love / becoming more human in a generally cringworthy way.

It's been a while since I watched Voyager but didn't they get rid of every character except the Doctor and Seven after season 5 or did it just seem that way?

So he became the Spock/Data/Odo/T'Pol of Voyager, along with 7.
    Every Star Trek series has had a character like this, who is profoundly not human but trying to explore their "human" side/fit in more.
    Really annoyed me in Trekverse, character by numbers. especially Data's character. I mean they may as well have called First Contact and Nemesis (spit) the "Picard and Data Love Fests"

That's an essential aspect of Trek. Having a non-human member of the main cast provides an external viewpoint on us humans. For example, Spock highlighting humanity's rash/illogical tendencies; Data, our emotions(TNG: "The Offspring"), relationships, attitudes to death(TNG:Where Silence Has Lease) and so on. Odo was a great example with his love of Kira, really shows an alternative viewpoint on relationships.
    These characters are part of what make Trek so epic, so relevant to us. You may complain that they get repetitive, but IMHO they are the essence of Star Trek.

karlr42 wrote: »
    That's an essential aspect of Trek. Having a non-human member of the main cast provides an external viewpoint on us humans. For example, Spock highlighting humanity's rash/illogical tendencies; Data, our emotions(TNG: "The Offspring"), relationships, attitudes to death(TNG:Where Silence Has Lease) and so on. Odo was a great example with his love of Kira, really shows an alternative viewpoint on relationships.
    These characters are part of what make Trek so epic, so relevant to us. You may complain that they get repetitive, but IMHO they are the essence of Star Trek.

I agree that they are necessary to provide an "outsiders" view.
    but they follow the same formula most of the time.

At least with Odo and (to a lesser extent) Garak, we had characters that were quite bloody happy in themselves but took on human aspects to adapt more than anything else.

They may as well have called Data, Pinochio. Actually Riker did once.
    The Doctor was a carbon copy of this character, than 7 was a super hot carbon copy.
    What got to me was how these characters were allowed to take over the later shows. Data was not THE central character in the series but became so in the movies. The Doctor and 7 may as well have been pioloting Voyager alone (actually that also happened), for all the development the other characters got once she arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Personally i like having that type of character, i do see why you think it is repetitive but i think those characters are also designed to relate to loners/outsiders of society - more so in the past that would tend to be "nerds" apparently using computers/internet is more acceptable these days and hopefully so is sci-fi but i believe those characters where and still are a necessity in trek

User45701 wrote: »
    Personally i like having that type of character, i do see why you think it is repetitive but i think those characters are also designed to relate to loners/outsiders of society - more so in the past that would tend to be "nerds" apparently using computers/internet is more acceptable these days and hopefully so is sci-fi but i believe those characters where and still are a necessity in trek

You are perfectly right, I am not really explaining myself well. I guess that it is overuse/diminance of these characters that got to me. (and the presumption that everyone should aspire to humanity)

Must not be a nerd afterall
    WOO!!!!

I understand the point you're making, it's quite good, and I agree up to a point.
    and the presumption that everyone should aspire to humanity
    Ah, but in the Trek future humans have ended war, famine, disease, want. We have a natural instinct to explore that frightens even the omnipotent Q. Consider:
    "in apprehension how like a god!""You don't really see your species like that!?"I see us one day becoming that, Q!"
    Trek is a optimistic vision of the future of humanity, that is its core. These characters exist to highlight how far humanity has come, to showcase our potential.
    God, I'm a nerd, but I feel very passionately about Trek.

karlr42 wrote: »
    I understand the point you're making, it's quite good, and I agree up to a point.

Ah, but in the Trek future humans have ended war, famine, disease, want. We have a natural instinct to explore that frightens even the omnipotent Q. Consider:

Trek is a optimistic vision of the future of humanity, that is its core. These characters exist to highlight how far humanity has come, to showcase our potential.
    God, I'm a nerd, but I feel very passionately about Trek.

Lol that is the good thing about Trek (if you are into it)
    It makes you explore a lot of things that you would normally not consider.

I would counter that the Federation has done all those things (agreed, with humans in the centre).
    There are plenty of examples where human kind is as base and dangerous, as today, in Trek.

Anyway, I agree with all your points. wholeheartedly.
    What I never liked was how the characters took over the show.

Odo is the example of how to do it right (then again DS9 character development is far superior others)

So to bring this thread all the way back on topic; some of the worst episodes for me are the episodes that focus fully and only on the "aspiring human" characters, as this is to the detriment of all the other characters in the show.

that includes the movies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

I don't think anyone has mentioned "The Royale", from Next Generation.

*shudder*

I don't think anyone has mentioned "The Royale", from Next Generation.

*shudder*

I think we've all tried to block that from our minds. Haven makes me cringe a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Royale was terrible because the plot is blatantly orchestrated to allow for a 1930s style episode. And the use of the fermat thereom metaphor was just an excuse to avoid explaining anything, because the writers couldn't find any sufficient explanations. And then fermats last thereom was solved a few years later.

On the outsider/alien character, I do think that the fixation with a lot of these characters becoming human is indicative of species narcissism. If anything it could be argued that it highlights how primitive we still are in our perceptions. I really appreciate the optimism of star trek though. A lot of sci fi is cynical/dystopic, these qualities do not make a good show though they can make them appear better. It could also be argued that Data/The Doctor et al are used to explore positive and negative aspects of the human psyche.

I agree that voyager basically became a vehicle for 7 of 9, who was lets face it, wasn't a very original or interesting character. The fact that Data seemed to be the central protagonist in the trek films was also annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

The fact that Data seemed to be the central protagonist in the trek films was also annoying.

Brent Spiner was insistent on being in a more central role in the films. I think he might even be credited above Frakes, which is not the case for the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Voyager's 'Threshold' was the worst episode ever.

Ever.

DS9's and Voyager's endings both sucked. I love TNG's one.

And Seven of Nine puts the 'ass' in assimilation :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tronborg2000

"The Game".... shocking episode of TNG whoever came up with that one needs to be sat on and farted

Advertisement