Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor prepay 3G trial

• 25-06-2008 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭

Any meteor customers who are over 18 and have a 3G handset can call into any meteor store in Dublin to sign up to the new phase of the network trial. It's just a case of picking up an upgraded sim and meteor will give you €50 credit. I'm not sure of all the T's&C's but it's much the same as the post pay trial I informed you all about several months ago. Basically it's free money and free data access.

Alternatively any prepay customers upgrading to either the W910i or the E51 can opt in to the trial

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Source? Will they give you 50 euro just like that or do you have to topup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I was just about to start a thread asking about 3G on Meteor. According to Softpedia, Meteor already has a 3G network covering 10% of the population, and is partnering with Ericsson to expand this to at least 33%, but I couldn't find anything about it on the Meteor website.

I'd be very interested to see your source for this OP, because this is exactly what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Hot damn !

nice one theteal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Breezer wrote: »
    I was just about to start a thread asking about 3G on Meteor. According to Softpedia, Meteor already has a 3G network covering 10% of the population, and is partnering with Ericsson to expand this to at least 33%, but I couldn't find anything about it on the Meteor website.

I'd be very interested to see your source for this OP, because this is exactly what I'm looking for.
    it is true that they have a 3G network, don't know anything about the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

@theteal - so if i call into the grafton street branch today i can sign up for the 3g trial, and they will definitely know about this....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Dave6195 wrote: »
    @theteal - so if i call into the grafton street branch today i can sign up for the 3g trial, and they will definitely know about this....?

this would be affirmative

lads i'm gonna get one of my friends who works in the store in dun laoghaire to scan me the actual document detailing the ins and outs of the trial so i should have more solid info later on today

Here's the facts guys, that attached docs are available in most of the dublin stores

I dont like it when you guys doubt me. . .:(

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

Hey does anyone know if you can sign up if your on bill-pay or have I missed that trial!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Sounds like a sweet deal, so its basically free 3G for a few months? Does this mean that meteor will be launching 3G proper at the end of August?

December is what i've been told

• Advertisement

Signed up for it there at lunchhour. Ive been waiting for 3G speeds for a while so Im delighted to get a few months access free.

Stupid question here, but I just access the internet normally from the handset yeah? Im free to download things like google maps & opera mini with this?

skywalker wrote: »
    Signed up for it there at lunchhour. Ive been waiting for 3G speeds for a while so Im delighted to get a few months access free.

Stupid question here, but I just access the internet normally from the handset yeah? Im free to download things like google maps & opera mini with this?

read the terms dude, it won't kick in for 48 hours, you'll get charged the usual skyhigh rate if you use it straight away.

use whatever browser you have as normal, you'll notice a 3g symbol on the screen above your signal strength where you'd usually have an "E". yeah you can download whatever you like, it's completely free data access.

also, i'd put my money on a late sept/earl oct commercial launch

my mistake,

currently meteor have 10% 3G coverage in ireland, at launch of 3G on their network they will have 33% coverage. this is scheduled for september and not october as i original said.

mobile broadband packages ala vodafone/o2/3 will be coming on stream in december/january time

Cheers theteal for the heads up on this, dropped down to meteor at lunch and signed up. Now im just waiting for my free credit and a call to say the free data is active:D

theteal wrote: »
    read the terms dude, it won't kick in for 48 hours, you'll get charged the usual skyhigh rate if you use it straight away.

use whatever browser you have as normal, you'll notice a 3g symbol on the screen above your signal strength where you'd usually have an "E". yeah you can download whatever you like, it's completely free data access.

also, i'd put my money on a late sept/earl oct commercial launch

Yep, Im with ya, they said Id get a call when its activated, so not to use it till then. Havent downloaded the internet just yet. :D

Thanks a million for postin it up.

Couldn't resist checking out the new service so splurged on some random browsing. Speeds are goood - but then what would you expect on a nearly empty network ? :)

Guys this is music to my ears :D Thank you so much for posting this. I was on the point of switching to Bill Pay to get a data plan, now I don't have to (well not for a few months at least!)

Any word on what their pricing will be after the trial? Will you be able to buy a data add-on like on 3 and on Meteor Bill Pay or will it all come out of your credit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

just signed up. Fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Sweet! Henry St. Meteor store said I have to come back tomorrow since they do not have the 3g sim cards yet. Which shop did others here sign up in?

"To help us test our new network, and to say thanks we’d like to give you €50 off your next bill. When you finish the trial, we’ll give you another €50 off your September bill (you must complete the full trial to get this final €50). We will also activate a ‘Data Unlimited’ Data Add-On on your account at the beginning of the trial."

This is what it says on trial.meteor.ie - does this mean that if I don't make any calls I won't get the free credit of €50, since it is €50 off the balance of the bill?

So this is Bill Pay? You have sign up to a contract to be able to try this? You cannot be part of trial and get a prepay 3g sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Hmm might just sign up my self been looking for an excuse to get a new phone. Is the W910i on meteor branded at all cause if its not i just might go and get it this weekend :D
    Or might hold off if they are putting the W890i on prepay :D

• Advertisement

Some details on the Unlimited Data add on that will be coming - 30 euros / 10 GB

http://trial.meteor.ie/your_questions_answered/#what_do

"...
    A charge of €30 per month, corresponding to the normal monthly cost of a “Data Unlimited” Data Add-On will appear on your bill for the duration of the trial, however we will apply monthly credit of €30 to your account meaning you get FREE Mobile Internet browsing. The Data Unlimited Data Add-On and monthly credit will cease with your September bill. Any data services used before or after the trial dates, or in excess of the scope of the Data Add-On offer provided, will be charged at normal rates.

What is a “data unlimited” data add-on?

It’s a Meteor Data Add-On that gives you unlimited data every month to use on the Mobile Internet. You can search Google, send and receive emails, browse news, sports, weather and social networking sites like Bebo and more. We’d love you to explore the many different features and services on the Mobile Internet and give us your feedback through an independent research company. A Fair Usage Policy of 10 Gigabytes applies per month to your use of “Data Unlimited”. ..."

I'm getting very confused here. The term 'credit' and the term 'bill' are being thrown around together. Is this bill pay or pay as you go?

I dont suppose theres a map of meteor's 3G coverage yet? its probably to soon in the launch. I havent got 3G coverage in my house in D9, its gone back to the edge network....

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

Breezer wrote: »
    Any word on what their pricing will be after the trial? Will you be able to buy a data add-on like on 3 and on Meteor Bill Pay or will it all come out of your credit?
    There will also be a daily pass system set up, similar to the one Vodafone use whereby you will be charged 99c for up to 50MB data usage per day which should reduce the amount users spend on data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

is this ordinary 3g or hsdpa? It would be bizarre to set up new with only 3g speeds available when everyone else hp moving on with hsdpa.

It's HSDPA alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Anyone have a coverage map? I'm in D2 and I can only get EDGE on my N95.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

wonderboy wrote: »
    Anyone have a coverage map? I'm in D2 and I can only get EDGE on my N95.

have you signed up for the trial? you get a new sim when you sign up that allows you to connect to the 3g network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    have you signed up for the trial? you get a new sim when you sign up that allows you to connect to the 3g network

No I have not. Thought I might just be able to pick it up. Do you think they'd give me a new SIM if I asked instore? I use the N95 for internet a lot so it would be handy.

Advertisement