Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor prepay 3G trial

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

td2008 wrote: »
    Anybody having problems connecting this morning? Have full 3g signal strength
    Yea, was having problems around 9 this morning. Back working perfectly now again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Major 3g coverage issues this afternoon. Keeps switching from 3g to 2g all day and piss poor reception when it does pick up 3g. All this network switching is killing my battery.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Major 3g coverage issues this afternoon. Keeps switching from 3g to 2g all day and piss poor reception when it does pick up 3g. All this network switching is killing my battery.

I haven't had any issues, where were you having the trouble?

Ballsbridge. Phone is still bleeping every couple of minutes when it switches network.

Ballsbridge. Phone is still bleeping every couple of minutes when it switches network.

I've been in the Talbot street area of town all day and had no problem. Meteor mustn't like southsiders :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Yes. This was using my phone as a modem.

Are you sure you set it up correctly?

You should be dialling *99# with
    +CGDCONT=,,"isp.mymeteor.ie"

as the modem initialization strings.

Username: my
    Password: isp

As I had said, I tried this, and wouldnt work for me. Finally figured out what the problem was, I changed isp.mymeteor.ie to data.mymeteor.ie and connected first time. seems to work for others with isp but just incase anyone else is having problems like mine it may be worth trying. thanks again for the help lads!

EDIT
    306279057.png

Lucifer wrote: »
    As I had said, I tried this, and wouldnt work for me. Finally figured out what the problem was, I changed isp.mymeteor.ie to data.mymeteor.ie and connected first time. seems to work for others with isp but just incase anyone else is having problems like mine it may be worth trying. thanks again for the help lads!

EDIT
    306279057.png
    Are you in a HSDPA area? Or is that just 3G going close to full tilt?

Yea.. I totally forgot that you have to have isp access provisioned on your account. Sorry bout that :)

not to worry, got it sorted now so its cool. Wont really need it often as I use my wifi at home all the time, just will be handy if I bring my laptop anywhere. Is there any advantage to using isp over data???

thats just 3G I think. Seems to be the signal I get most, but sometimes says E also which I think is edge? not sure whats faster than what or what I would see if it was HSDPA? I'm in Milltown, Dublin 6 incase that makes any difference.

EDIT also by the way that is using bluetooth, not usb, so that may also limit the speed?

Slowest to fastest:

GPRS 2G
    EDGE 2.75G
    UMTS 3G
    HSDPA 3.5G

No advantage to using isp over data. isp was just the old full internet access point before the trial was started. Data was only introduced with the trial. You had to ring CC to get them to enable full internet (all ports open) internet access on your account, hence it only working for some people.

Is strange as I had used isp before I signed up for the trial, maybe when they replaced my sim they didnt re enable it?? doesnt really matter anyway.

I seem to get 3G most of the time, and edge sometimes. I just checked and my N73 does not have HSDPA so that would explain why I have never seen that, but I am happy with the speed so far. Is good enough for mobile internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

This 3G trial is fantastic internet any time you want for free :) How will meteor help us who have this addiction to free net after the 31st of August ? Any rehab programmes available?? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

You know, I was just thinking that myself.
    Buggered if I'm paying 30e a month for it, but I hear the 3G is going to be turned off at the end of August anyway ?
    Can anyone confirm this ?
    Is 3 ready for all of the Meteor 3G trial customers ? We should get signs- "Will shill for free surfing"

I'm hoping for a nice tenner a month cost to give me unlimited data.

Chances are that kind of add on may only be for bill pay though so I may have to go contract.

I know the unlimited add-on is currently 30 quid a month, but I'm hoping they update the 250mb deal at the very least.

Just checked the data counter on my phone since the start of the trial.

Had I been charged 0.5c/ KB my bill would have been €1425.16 on data alone :pac:

I'm hoping for a nice tenner a month cost to give me unlimited data.
    Bit unreasonable i think. 1GB for a tenner would be a fair price for both parties concerned.

Maybe i'm mistaken but did i read somewhere in this thread that there is 3g coverage in cork city? Haven't been able to get 3g coverage any since I arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Bit unreasonable i think. 1GB for a tenner would be a fair price for both parties concerned.

or maybe not even 1gb. i just want a data package and not the system they're currently planning. it's the same as vodafone's (as you know :)), 2c per kb up to 99c (50kb) and then free after that up to 50mb

that penalises people who want to use it a small amount every day. in theory you could end up paying €29.70 for 1.5MB of data (50kb a day for 30 days). checking the rte news home page once on the way to work each day would cost the same as browsing youtube all day every day.

i want to be able to whip out the phone and google something when the mood strikes me but if it's going to cost me 99c the first time i do it each day i just won't do it

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    or maybe not even 1gb. i just want a data package and not the system they're currently planning. it's the same as vodafone's (as you know :)), 2c per kb up to 99c (50kb) and then free after that up to 50mb

that penalises people who want to use it a small amount every day. in theory you could end up paying €29.70 for 1.5MB of data (50kb a day for 30 days). checking the rte news home page once on the way to work each day would cost the same as browsing youtube all day every day.

i want to be able to whip out the phone and google something when the mood strikes me but if it's going to cost me 99c the first time i do it each day i just won't do it
    That whole post sounds strangely familiar for some reason ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

hi, i'm on the 3g trial and have been using the internet a good bit, is there any way to check how much data i've used? i don't wanna go over the 10 gb limit. I can't really gauge it by the counter on my phone as i updated the firmware. Should it not be on Mymeteor?

Ps. I used my phone as a modem to play xbox live. Works great, suprised how well it worked infact! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Maybe you could check the data counters on your phone (Nokia have them anyways). They are with the call logs (missed calls, received, dialled etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

748.12MB that's how much i've used so far :D When do we get our next free crd? is it at the end of the trial? and how much is it the girl in the shop said another 50 euro but the tech team said 10 which is it?

long_b wrote: »
    Maybe you could check the data counters on your phone (Nokia have them anyways). They are with the call logs (missed calls, received, dialled etc)

As i said i can't gauge it from the phone as i updated the firmware and all them logs were reset. Any other way?
    Pyro Boy wrote: »
    748.12MB that's how much i've used so far :D When do we get our next free crd? is it at the end of the trial? and how much is it the girl in the shop said another 50 euro but the tech team said 10 which is it?

I think we got all the credit we're going to get. €50 at the start, €10 at the start of the three months and a data add-on worth €30 which adds up to €100, the same as the bill-pay peolple got.

hi, i'm on the 3g trial and have been using the internet a good bit, is there any way to check how much data i've used? i don't wanna go over the 10 gb limit. I can't really gauge it by the counter on my phone as i updated the firmware. Should it not be on Mymeteor?

Ps. I used my phone as a modem to play xbox live. Works great, suprised how well it worked infact! :D
    I didn't even realise there was a 10gb limit. Whoa!

I reckon those limits are usually just put in place to stop people taking the piss and going mad, anything less than 20gb in a month shouldn't really raise suspicion. But good look using a full 10gb (xbox live might do it).

I used my phone as a modem to play xbox live. Works great, suprised how well it worked infact! :D
    Were you not lagging like fcuk? :eek:

Were you not lagging like fcuk? :eek:

No, i expected it to, but it didn't, i couldn't have told the difference between it and my 6mb connection.

[rant]Arrgh just had a call from some goon in customer care informing me that the trial is goin to end and telling me about how great the new 99c price plan is.. When i asked him about a data plan he said he was unaware of any and then proceeded to tell me about how great this new price plan :rolleyes: [/rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

[rant]Arrgh just had a call from some goon in customer care informing me that the trial is goin to end and telling me about how great the new 99c price plan is.. When i asked him about a data plan he said he was unaware of any and then proceeded to tell me about how great this new price plan :rolleyes: [/rant]
    How soon did he say it was ending?
    Did he confirm 100% the details of the new 99c plan?

random wrote: »
    How soon did he say it was ending?
    Did he confirm 100% the details of the new 99c plan?
    End of august. He said we would be on the 99c plan at the of trial. New plans may be out before the official launch but he doesn't think so, nor is he aware of any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

End of august. He said we would be on the 99c plan at the of trial. New plans may be out before the official launch but he doesn't think so, nor is he aware of any.
    It all seemed too good to be true when the trial was launched!

• Advertisement

random wrote: »
    It all seemed too good to be true when the trial was launched!

Yea :( He did say however that you can choose to stay with the 0.5c/1kb plan.. I really dont know how much of this is fact. This guy was a bit of a goon.

Advertisement