Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor prepay 3G trial

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

wonderboy wrote: »
    No I have not. Thought I might just be able to pick it up. Do you think they'd give me a new SIM if I asked instore? I use the N95 for internet a lot so it would be handy.

yes that's what the trial's about. you go in, fill in a form, they give you a new 3g sim and then you get a call the next day from the trial team telling you about it and adding the free internet and credit to your account

edit:but my friend went into the blanchardstown store and they hadn't heard anything about it so it might only be in some stores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    yes that's what the trial's about. you go in, fill in a form, they give you a new 3g sim and then you get a call the next day from the trial team telling you about it and adding the free internet and credit to your account

edit:but my friend went into the blanchardstown store and they hadn't heard anything about it so it might only be in some stores

I'm on Bill and I believe that trial was a while ago, didnt have a 3G phone at the time so didn't sign up.

wonderboy wrote: »
    I'm on Bill and I believe that trial was a while ago, didnt have a 3G phone at the time so didn't sign up.

ah i see. you might just have to wait til september when the system goes live then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Was in Henry St store today and they told me that you must have been on the network for 90 days before you can be a part of this trial.. I have only been on Meteor for a month.. Did someone have any luck with signing up to the trial even you have not been subscriber for 90 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Cremo wrote: »

"Meteor has already achieved 10% 3G population coverage, and is on target to reach 33% coverage by the end of September 2008 covering the Dublin and Cork areas"

10% population is approx 450,000 people and considering this is gone live in Dublin where the population is approx 1.5 million, its only covering 1/3 of Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

whisht wrote: »
    "Meteor has already achieved 10% 3G population coverage, and is on target to reach 33% coverage by the end of September 2008 covering the Dublin and Cork areas"

10% population is approx 450,000 people and considering this is gone live in Dublin where the population is approx 1.5 million, its only covering 1/3 of Dublin
    Well it hasn't really gone live now has it? This is only the trial and is only available to customers in areas where there is 3G coverage.

33% is a decent figure to start off with considering anybody wanting 3G will have to switch to a 3G capable handset and then you'll have a lot of people just not interested. For those in non 3G areas there is still an underlying EDGE network to fall back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Will this be available in Cork ?

I'm picking up Meteor 3G signals at the moment here, but cannot access the network as my SIM obviously isn't enabled to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

jeez its about freaking time, just hope they offer some decent prepaid data packages like 3 do and i might just change back to meteor.

do you have to buy a new handset? i already have a factory unlocked and unbranded e51. also an e61 can i just sign up to it using those phones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Dublin and Cork are live now, but I wouldn't expect extensive coverage yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Is this offer only for people in the Dublin area?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Has anyone who signed up been contacted by Meteor to say your free data is active? Or get the €50 credit added to your account? I signed up on thursday lunch time and havent heard anything yet?

Signed up Thurs too. No contact to say trial had started, no credit added to phone. Think I'm on some sort of data package though cos I have no credit left but can still surf. :)
    Suppose it would have made sense to limit it to Dublin residents but I had no trouble signing up with a Kildare address. Granted it was very early in the morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Signed up Thursday too & havent heard a sausage so far. They gave me a helpline number, might give it a ring tomorrow if I havent heard anything by then.

i haven't got a call but my internet's free now :)

i rang the helpline, 1800 323 085 and i was told that the €50 gets added to your account when the trial finishes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Think I might sign up for this today.

Just one quick question though guys.

Presumably the new sim will work as normal in my 6233, but what if I want to use the sim in a non-3g phone? Will it work as normal? I tend to use my 5500 sport when away camping, music festivals etc, and obviously the 5500 isn't 3g capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

i rang the helpline, 1800 323 085 and i was told that the €50 gets added to your account when the trial finishes

How odd. Thats not what they said in the bumf, or what the punter in store said. There was supposed to be 10 or 20 (cant remember) for each month of the trial too.

Still. Internet seems to be free now, cant complain. :D

Think I might sign up for this today.

Just one quick question though guys.

Presumably the new sim will work as normal in my 6233, but what if I want to use the sim in a non-3g phone? Will it work as normal? I tend to use my 5500 sport when away camping, music festivals etc, and obviously the 5500 isn't 3g capable.

shouldn't be a problem in a 5500. older phones might have some problems though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

shouldn't be a problem in a 5500. older phones might have some problems though
    Super. Gonna hit Dun Laoghaire apres work. Will let ye all know how I get on.

skywalker wrote: »
    How odd. Thats not what they said in the bumf, or what the punter in store said. There was supposed to be 10 or 20 (cant remember) for each month of the trial too.

Still. Internet seems to be free now, cant complain. :D
    Each account has to be manually provisioned.

Once it is you should receive €50 within a week.

Then you get €10 in July and €10 in August.

7.Ronaldo wrote: »
    Each account has to be manually provisioned.

Once it is you should receive €50 within a week.

Then you get €10 in July and €10 in August.

that contradicts what i was told by the 3g team. are you sure about that? who told you? i've got lots of conflicting information on this trial including one meteor store employee who told a friend that the 3g sim might damage his n95

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Interesting. And in the meantime I've been checking if the internet's free every so often and it's been eating my credit. It'd be nice if they phoned people as they said they would. Oh well, I'll give it a shot later.

ignore everything i said. I just got credited with e50 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Again...is this only Dublin or what?!

Cha-ching ! 50 credit text received :)

i think it is only dublin and even only a few stores in dublin. They don't have coverage anywhere else yet

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

+3 on receiving the free credit message...:)

that contradicts what i was told by the 3g team. are you sure about that? who told you? i've got lots of conflicting information on this trial including one meteor store employee who told a friend that the 3g sim might damage his n95
    Yep. Positive. I've seen the 3G Trial spreadsheet.

7.Ronaldo wrote: »
    Yep. Positive. I've seen the 3G Trial spreadsheet.

since i just got my credit i believe you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

The trial web site says 50 euro off your first bill, then free internet worth 30 euro for july and august and then ANOTHER 50 euro in the end of the trial. Or is this just for bill pay testers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

anyone know if any of the meteor stores in cork city are offering the trial of 3g and free 50e credit...???

Advertisement