Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor prepay 3G trial

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

flodis79 wrote: »
    The trial web site says 50 euro off your first bill, then free internet worth 30 euro for july and august and then ANOTHER 50 euro in the end of the trial. Or is this just for bill pay testers?
    That's Bill Pay. The €30 data bundle is unlimited so it's basically free data usage during the trial - the same as the Pre Pay offer.

- Yeah. Should be available in Cork, Dublin and certain parts of Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

And the free trial access point is isp.mymeteor.ie or something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I got my €50 credit alright but... just wasted €4 visiting one page because they haven't given me the free internet yet! Have any of you guys with free internet got a call yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

No call, don't know when it was switched on to be honest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Thanks for the tip off OP. Signing up tomorrow. :pac:
    flodis79 wrote: »
    And the free trial access point is isp.mymeteor.ie or something else?
    Also interested in an answer to this...

If this is the case, it would suggest free data on the EDGE network too when out of the 3G network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Can confirm free data on EDGE (which I've found to be quite usable with Opera Mini, much to my suprise),

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Everything seems to be working fine bar one thing. 3g loading fine on the inbuilt browser, but none of my java applications (including opera mini) can connect. Getting a 'Subscribe to Packet Data first' message when I try. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Everything seems to be working fine bar one thing. 3g loading fine on the inbuilt browser, but none of my java applications (including opera mini) can connect. Getting a 'Subscribe to Packet Data first' message when I try. Any ideas?
    You need to ring customer care and ask for Meteor ISP to be enabled on your account. They won't have a clue what you're on about but they'll pass it on to the technical people and in a few hours everything will work. Although you'll still have to sign up for the offer if you haven't already done so.

Breezer wrote: »
    You need to ring customer care and ask for Meteor ISP to be enabled on your account. They won't have a clue what you're on about but they'll pass it on to the technical people and in a few hours everything will work. Although you'll still have to sign up for the offer if you haven't already done so.
    Deadly, sounds simple enough. I rang them earlier and they sent me the WAP, GPRS and ISP settings but I figured there must've been something else missing. I'll ring them again in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

anyone actually who lives in cork, have they managed to get this from the store on patrick street...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

what phone do you have

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    what phone do you have
    6233. And the fact that web was working on the built in browser last night was because I had it set to WAP and the java apps were using ISP. Tried ISP on the browser just now and no luck so I reckon Breezer was right, gonna ring Meteor when I get a chance and get them to set up ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Does anyone else have problems using the Youtube mobile app? I keep getting a error message saying 'cannot connect to video streaming server'. I know the program is fine as it works on my home wireless network. Btw Im using an N95....

6233. And the fact that web was working on the built in browser last night was because I had it set to WAP and the java apps were using ISP. Tried ISP on the browser just now and no luck so I reckon Breezer was right, gonna ring Meteor when I get a chance and get them to set up ISP.

i think the 6233 might be one of the phones that nokia have a stupid error in. java apps are forced to use the "preferred access point" regardless of your normal internet settings and the preferred access point doesn't support proxies, which the meteor wap access point uses.

the menu structure might be very different on your phone, in which case it's unlikely to be this problem but if you can, do the following:

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings->add->web

account name: meteor web
    homepage: http://wap.mymeteor.ie
    username:my
    password:isp
    use preferred access point:yes

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings->add->access point

account name: meteor web apn
    go into access point settings
    data bearer:gprs (or packet data)
    go into bearer settings
    GPRS access point:isp.mymeteor.ie
    authentication type:normal
    username:my
    password:isp

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings

highlight meteor web and press options->activate
    then do the same for meteor web apn

settings->configuration->default configuration settings
    highlight meteor web and press options->set as default

settings->configuration->activate default in all applications->yes

once you enter those settings, and call meteor to get the isp activated, you shouldn't have a problem.

also, i don't know if you need to get the data access point activated to use it so also try entering exactly the same settings except replace:
    GPRS access point:isp.mymeteor.ie
    with
    GPRS access point:data.mymeteor.ie

Dave6195 wrote: »
    Does anyone else have problems using the Youtube mobile app? I keep getting a error message saying 'cannot connect to video streaming server'. I know the program is fine as it works on my home wireless network. Btw Im using an N95....

it's working for me. what access point are you using?

Im using the normal 'Meteor WAP' access point, the one I use for web browsing which works fine. Should I be using a different one for streaming? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

long_b wrote: »
    Can confirm free data on EDGE (which I've found to be quite usable with Opera Mini, much to my suprise),

Same and same. Im quite liking opera mini.

Dave6195 wrote: »
    Im using the normal 'Meteor WAP' access point, the one I use for web browsing which works fine. Should I be using a different one for streaming? Thanks

yes. use the data one.

you can get the data settings sent to your phone on the meteor web site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Heh. I just got a text telling me Id got the 10 monthly free credit for being part of the trial, no sign of the 50 yet though. Has anyone else gotten that first?

skywalker wrote: »
    Heh. I just got a text telling me Id got the 10 monthly free credit for being part of the trial, no sign of the 50 yet though. Has anyone else gotten that first?

i just got the 10 but i also got the 50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Sweet, gonna go get setup at lunch!

Thanks Sam, worked with data.mymeteor.ie. When I rang them they said ISP was already active strangely enough. And the username/password is my/meteor not my/isp.

Flying now. Opera mini working like a charm, gmail app, eBuddy for MSN, even google maps (but I won't be using that one again until they activate my free data, spent nearly 2 euro on just a few screens of images).

Still no sign of my credit or free data, but I only signed up at about 6 yesterday, so I'll be patient.

Thanks Sam, worked with data.mymeteor.ie. When I rang them they said ISP was already active strangely enough. And the username/password is my/meteor not my/isp.
    the password can actually be whatever you want because the network doesn't check it. i think mine's set to "cheese" currently
    Still no sign of my credit or free data, but I only signed up at about 6 yesterday, so I'll be patient.

it took two or three days for me to get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Yep, just got mine just there... the guy said it takes about 48 hours

Cheers for that Sam, its all working perfect now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

when using google maps, do you need to pay to use the gps. Was messing around with it but couldn't get it to work. I really had no idea what i was doing! Loving this trial though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I went to sign up in Henry St this morning but was refused as my E51 is simfree, and not a meteor upgrade, and an imei is required for registration.
    Same story in north earl street.

Went over to Grafton street and was signed up no problem. :pac:

I have since got a message about data settings and another one saying they were refused.

No sign of credit yet tho..

Sam Vimes wrote:
    the password can actually be whatever you want because the network doesn't check it. i think mine's set to "cheese" currently
    Heheh, just changed mine to 'iamgreat'.
    Oddly, the built-in browser hasn't been working since I updated those settings. But I'm using Opera Mini anyway so it doesn't bother me.
    jmccrohan wrote: »
    I went to sign up in Henry St this morning but was refused as my E51 is simfree, and not a meteor upgrade, and an imei is required for registration.
    Same story in north earl street.
    Weird. That'd be terrible if they limited it. I don't think I've ever bought an actual meteor phone. Always go sim-free.

when using google maps, do you need to pay to use the gps. Was messing around with it but couldn't get it to work. I really had no idea what i was doing! Loving this trial though!

google maps has two location based features (i think).

i'm not 100% sure it has this feature but i think that it can connect to a bluetooth gps receiver and tell you where you are based on the co-ordinates it supplies.

there's also a feature that checks which mast you're connected to and gives you a rough idea where you are based on the mast's location. this uses data and is not free, unless of course you're signed up to the free internet trial :)

• Advertisement

Heheh, just changed mine to 'iamgreat'.
    Oddly, the built-in browser hasn't been working since I updated those settings. But I'm using Opera Mini anyway so it doesn't bother me.

i find that the meteor home page stops working but the rest of the internet works. try just going to google.com.

you don't really want meteor's crappy ring tones anyway do you :pac:

Advertisement