Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor prepay 3G trial

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I went to sign up in Henry St this morning but was refused as my E51 is simfree, and not a meteor upgrade, and an imei is required for registration.
    Same story in north earl street.

Went over to Grafton street and was signed up no problem. :pac:

I have since got a message about data settings and another one saying they were refused.

No sign of credit yet tho..

Ooooo, that could suck. Im sim-free too! My data settings got refused too now that you mention it.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    google maps has two location based features (i think).

i'm not 100% sure it has this feature but i think that it can connect to a bluetooth gps receiver and tell you where you are based on the co-ordinates it supplies.

there's also a feature that checks which mast you're connected to and gives you a rough idea where you are based on the mast's location. this uses data and is not free, unless of course you're signed up to the free internet trial :)

Has anyone got the gps thing on google maps to work yet? Doesnt seem to work for me either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

google maps has two location based features (i think).

i'm not 100% sure it has this feature but i think that it can connect to a bluetooth gps receiver and tell you where you are based on the co-ordinates it supplies.

there's also a feature that checks which mast you're connected to and gives you a rough idea where you are based on the mast's location. this uses data and is not free, unless of course you're signed up to the free internet trial :)
    And presumably it can use built in gps, like on the n95.
    i find that the meteor home page stops working but the rest of the internet works. try just going to google.com.

you don't really want meteor's crappy ring tones anyway do you :pac:

Bingo. That's it working now.
    skywalker wrote: »
    Has anyone got the gps thing on google maps to work yet? Doesnt seem to work for me either.
    As Sam mentioned you'll need to make sure you've either got a bluetooth gps receiver or the triangulation by mast thing (or built in gps obviously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Ooooo, that could suck. Im sim-free too! My data settings got refused too now that you mention it.
    getting the data settings refused wouldn't have anything to do with it being a sim free. i got them to a vodafone e65. sending out settings just doesn't work properly quite often

which one? the one with the bluetooth gps device or the "My location" feature that uses your nearest mast? the former i haven't tried, the latter works within about 100 feet

As Sam mentioned you'll need to make sure you've either got a bluetooth gps receiver or the triangulation by mast thing (or built in gps obviously).

this triangulation by mast thing. Is that something I can enable somewhere?

EDIT/ Sam I mean the my location thing. Ive tried it in a few different places around Dub including the city center & no joy.

And presumably it can use built in gps, like on the n95.

I don't think it can actually. i'll have a quick look around and see if i can get a definite answer

edit: it appears they updated it to work with it:
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/10/12/google-maps-gets-cozy-with-n95s-internal-gps/

of course that's just for the n95 and doesn't mean it'll work with the built in gps on any other phones

• Advertisement

this triangulation by mast thing. Is that something I can enable somewhere?

EDIT/ Sam I mean the my location thing. Ive tried it in a few different places around Dub including the city center & no joy.

it doesn't work everywhere and in fact works in very few places in ireland. just keep trying it. what does it say when you try it?

it doesn't work everywhere and in fact works in very few places in ireland. just keep trying it. what does it say when you try it?

Well that makes sense I guess. "Your current location is temporarily unavailable"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

I too am trying to download the Meteor WAP and MMS settings but when I receive them to the phone I keep getting message "Authentication failed settings discarded". Im using a SE K800i. Is there any other way of getting the settings. Sony Ericsson site says No settings available for the current selection
    Could someone post them manually please

i posted them manually a few pages back

edit: I mean i posted the data settings which are the ones you should use. Do you need the mms settings too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Have the services gotten any better on the meteor browser, or is it still the same **** games, ringtones etc....as normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

i posted them manually a few pages back

edit: I mean i posted the data settings which are the ones you should use. Do you need the mms settings too?

yes please i need the mms settings. just got the phone unlocked from vodafone so there are no settings in it. are the data settings the same as the WAP GPRS settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭dublad23

I rang up Meteor today and was told this offer finished on the 16th June.

It is still going on yeah?

What exactly do you get, just so I know when I ring up tomorrow.

Is it only €50 for July?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

€50 for registering and then €10 on the first of the month until 31st August (so in other words €60 now). And free mobile internet until then supposedly, although that's yet to materialise for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Tried using the settings posted earlier in the thread but got nowhere unfortunately. Im using a Moto E770 and I got the 3G sim yesterday at around 1. Rang up the Customer Care team last night and was told that they had no mention on my account that I was on the 3G trial and therefore could not send me the settings! It might just be that I have to be patient but **** it, anybody got any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭dubrov

I registered last Saturday in North Earl Street. This basically involved the guy typing something into his computer and giving me a new 3g sim.

I am PAYG and am using a simfree N95 8Gb.

Nothing happened until Monday at which point I received the data settings and a text giving me E50 credit. On Tuesday I received another 10 yo.

Browsing has been free and the speeds when on the 3G (as opposed to EDGE) network seem very quick. I guess this might all change when there are a lot more people using the network.

Some interesting applications for N95 8Gb now that data is free
    1) Can be avaialble on Skype all the time using Fring
    2) Can connect to internet on pc through phone using wired connection
    3) Joiku software allowed me to setup my phone as a wireless router so multiple Pcs can connect wirelessly to the internet through it. THis made the phone quite hot though so I wouldn't recommend doing it for too long
    4) GPS lock is now quicker using Assisted GPS.
    5) Can setup e-mails to download automatically with POP3
    6) Youtube mobile app
    7) Betfair mobile app
    8) Google Maps

Did you ring the normal cust services number or the 3G trial number: 1800323085

Did you ring the normal cust services number or the 3G trial number: 1800323085

I'm gonna presume that this was directed at me. I rang the 3G number, was put on to a girl who told me that there was no record that I had signed up for the trial. They did tell me that it would take 48 hours to have everything workin and after reading dubrov's post it does seem right. If I get nothing by tomorrow afternoon then I'll go back to Meteor again!

yes please i need the mms settings. just got the phone unlocked from vodafone so there are no settings in it. are the data settings the same as the WAP GPRS settings?

no the data settings are not the same as the WAP GPRS settings. they use a different access point. did you get them where i posted them a few pages ago?

here's the guide for mms:

menu->settings->connectivity->data communication->data accounts
    ->new account->ps data (or packet data or gprs)

name:meteor mms
    apn:mms.mymeteor.ie
    username:my
    password:mms

press save

press enter (with meteor mms highlighted)
    in authentication, tick only PAP (untick none and chap)

menu->settings->connectivity->internet settings->internet profiles->new profile

name:meteor mms
    connect using:meteor mms
    press save

highlight meteor mms and press more->settings

connect using:meteor mms
    use proxy:yes
    proxy address: 010.085.085.085
    port number: 8799
    username:my
    password:mms

press save

menu->messaging->settings->picture message->mms profile->new profile.
    mms profile name: Meteor MMS
    message server:http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    internet profile: meteor mms

Tried using the settings posted earlier in the thread but got nowhere unfortunately. Im using a Moto E770 and I got the 3G sim yesterday at around 1. Rang up the Customer Care team last night and was told that they had no mention on my account that I was on the 3G trial and therefore could not send me the settings! It might just be that I have to be patient but **** it, anybody got any ideas?

you don't really need the data settings to use the free internet. just go onto the meteor site and get the settings for a similar motorola sent to your phone. i recommend the z6 but try others if it doesn't work

Received the settings you recommended. Seems to have done the trick! Very fast but still paying for internet but I guess that should change in the next day or say, no? Along with 50€ credit.

• Advertisement

Received the settings you recommended. Seems to have done the trick! Very fast but still paying for internet but I guess that should change in the next day or say, no? Along with 50€ credit.

you said they have no record of you signing up so it might have not been done properly in the shop. i wouldn't just let it go if i were you, meteor often mess up. ask them to sign you up again over the phone and if they won't, pop into a store and fill out another form

Im only around the corner from the Meteor shop, so I'll go in again at lunch and get them to sort it out!

Just got back from the Meteor store. Walked in and started talkin to a guy telling him that I had rung up the 3G trial customer care and they had told me that there were no details down on my account that I was signed up to the trial. Well within 30 seconds of talkin to the guy, another worker popped out from behind the counter and said 'Is your name Adam?', leading me to believe that Meteor actually followed up something. I was then told that it does take 48 hours for the trial for be setup properly and that I would be getting a call/text when its ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I was then told that it does take 48 hours for the trial for be setup properly and that I would be getting a call/text when its ready.
    Monday 6pm + 48 hours = Today 6pm.

Fingers crossed for me.

Just got back from the Meteor store. Walked in and started talkin to a guy telling him that I had rung up the 3G trial customer care and they had told me that there were no details down on my account that I was signed up to the trial. Well within 30 seconds of talkin to the guy, another worker popped out from behind the counter and said 'Is your name Adam?', leading me to believe that Meteor actually followed up something. I was then told that it does take 48 hours for the trial for be setup properly and that I would be getting a call/text when its ready.

I dont think anyone has actually been called to say their live on the trial, however plenty are live, I guess you just have to check it now and again & see if your charged.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yea.. I signed up yesterday and i have free data atm (writing this from the bus as we speak. :pac:)

No mention of free credit tho :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

Any idea of a closing date for this? I won't be able to get to any of those stores for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Would say it's more likely to be numbers-based than time-based.
    Video calling works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Any ideas when it'll be in Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

i went into the meteor store patricks st, cork and the pleb behind the counter just gave a broad spectrum of next couple of weeks as it was going live at the end of july, said no store in cork would have the sims, so we are just SOL

do write back here if they magically get any sims in though

Advertisement