Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor prepay 3G trial

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Maybe someone should post this in Bargain Alerts ? theteal, it's your thread ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Please rate the Meteor network this week from 1 to 10 (1 is terrible, 10 is excellent). Reply by freetexting Satisfaction followed by your score. Meteor Research

I think I'm going to go with a 9. What's everyone opinion?

Went with 10. Are we supposed to be marking this as a 3.6 mb service or just regular 3G speeds ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I gave it a 9 because of the small 3g coverage area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I was really pissed off though, I went into Meteor Henry Street first, and the guy told me he had no 3G sims. When I asked him would the branch on Grafton street have them he said no, this branch was the only one that did them!

Signed up in Grafton St. later that day and they had loads of sims.

For those looking for settings, Meteor will send them to you if you ring 1905.

Meh, I'm in Blanch and have no 3G access! Have wifi in the house, and Wifi in work, so it'll ge grand when I'm at the Gf's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I was really pissed off though, I went into Meteor Henry Street first, and the guy told me he had no 3G sims. When I asked him would the branch on Grafton street have them he said no, this branch was the only one that did them!

Signed up in Grafton St. later that day and they had loads of sims.

For those looking for settings, Meteor will send them to you if you ring 1905.

Meh, I'm in Blanch and have no 3G access! Have wifi in the house, and Wifi in work, so it'll ge grand when I'm at the Gf's.
    In all fairness, no one asked you to join the trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

my friend had trouble in henry street too. we asked if they had any on grafton street and he said no. we probably should have made the effort to walk there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

What speeds should i be expecting from Meteor's 3g network? How do they compare to the other mobile networks?

Also using the internet on my phone the speeds seem decent enough but when i connect it my laptop to do a speed test, the test fails. the gauge goes up to about 1mb then stops and start dropping till it hits zero. I don't think i've bad coverage because it has full bars when i'm doing the test. Anyone else have that problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

jmccrohan wrote: »
    In all fairness, no one asked you to join the trial.

Um... what? I know that no one did. I was merely saying that I was lied to by staff in the Henry St. branch, and that Blanchardstown currently has no 3G coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Be greatful you arent looking for something in this thread ;)

Ha ha I know!
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    search the thread for posts made by me with the text data.mymeteor.ie in it. Tell the search to show results as posts, not threads

the instructions show the menu structure of a sony ericsson. It'll be different on your phone but the information to be entered is the same

Thanks for that Sam! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

I have got a error message every time i try 2 look at a video on youtube
    "connection to server has timed out" what can i do 2 fix

I have got a error message every time i try 2 look at a video on youtube
    "connection to server has timed out" what can i do 2 fix

what access point are you using?

meteor wap
    meteor web
    meteor isp
    meteor data

I'm not to sure. I use the opera browser and the meteor one. I think it is the web because websites are coming up in full. On the screen of my mobile i see a small E and when in town i see the 3g sign. i have tried various times when in town and at home and cannot get it to work

I'm not to sure. I use the opera browser and the meteor one. I think it is the web because websites are coming up in full. On the screen of my mobile i see a small E and when in town i see the 3g sign. i have tried various times when in town and at home and cannot get it to work

If you are using opera you will have to be using either meteor isp or meteor data. Are you talking about using the official youtube app or using mobitubia?

If you're using a Nokia with Opera Mini you need to make sure that Real Player on your phone is set to use the same Meteor access point as Opera Mini. Menu > media > real player > options > settings > network > streaming > network > default access point. Phew :)

whether the websites come up in full or not has nothing to do with the access point you're using. What type of phone do you have?

the e means edge coverage which is the equivalent of 2.75g and which type of coverage you have also has nothing to do with the access point

tell me what phone you have and this mystery can be solved quite easily

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cf_al_bs

hi all! im interested in joining the trial and ive checked out trial.meteor.ie. It says the trial is on til Aug 31st, but can I still sign up? Also do you have to be living in Dublin? I live in Drogheda but travel to Dublin would they take me aboard?

Thanks! :)

AFAIK it's still open. I live in Kildare and signed up no probs. No harm to give your work address though. Think the only condition is that you've been on the network for 90 days.

thanks for your reply. ill try sign up in Drogheda and see what they say. :) :fingers crossed:

Should have said - trial only available from some city center stores in Dublin (not sure about Cork). Henry St. or Grafton St. should be able to sort you out.

• Advertisement

ah ok. thanks for that. ill check it out in the next few days so. :)

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    whether the websites come up in full or not has nothing to do with the access point you're using. What type of phone do you have?

the e means edge coverage which is the equivalent of 2.75g and which type of coverage you have also has nothing to do with the access point

tell me what phone you have and this mystery can be solved quite easily

My phone is a samsung u900 (soul), sorry about the delay responding.

I signed up and got my sim in the North Earl Street store and they had loads left, so if you cant get them in other stores try here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Does this free trial affect your price plan or will you be forced into a different price plan at the end? thanks

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    Does this free trial affect your price plan or will you be forced into a different price plan at the end? thanks
    No. You just get free unlimited data access. And they give you 60 credit for your troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Is anyone else having the same problem as me? I'm using the phone as a modem and i can browse the internet with no problems, until i try and download any files or do a speedtest, the connection just drops. It's not that the signal is bad because i have full bars on my phone and it only happens when trying to download. Has anyone found a solution to this or am i the only person with this problem.

That's strange - 3G coverage at Avoca, near Rathcoole. Didn't think it came out this far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ChunkyLover69

long_b wrote: »
    That's strange - 3G coverage at Avoca, near Rathcoole. Didn't think it came out this far.

Meteor offices are in Citywest hence that area is covered

And here's me thinking they were about to start switching on a rake of new areas :)
    I wonder will they go live with just Dublin and Cork or will it be nationwide ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

long_b wrote: »
    And here's me thinking they were about to start switching on a rake of new areas :)
    I wonder will they go live with just Dublin and Cork or will it be nationwide ?

Dublin, Cork and. . . Dundalk?????? are the only locations announced, i'm sure Galway, Limerick and the likes wont be too far behind

Advertisement