Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any toyota heads?!

Options
  • 25-06-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

What's with the terra and luna variants on the corolla's - is there any more? ('03 on) Also, what's with the T2,3 etc.?!
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Anything that begins with T is a previously registered import apart from T Sport which may be Irish.

There's; Terra, Strata, Luna, Sol and T-Sport on Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is there even such a thing as a 'Toyota head'? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anan1 wrote: »
    Is there even such a thing as a 'Toyota head'? :D

90 year old men? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

on 03-04 Corollas, there were 2 specs:

Terra:
    Central locking (not remote)
    2 Airbags
    CD player
    2 Electric windows
    Electric mirrors
    ABS and EBD
    14" steel wheels
    colour coded bumpers, mirrors, and handles

Luna, which adds to Terra spec:
    Air conditioning
    15" alloys
    Front foglights
    Remote stereo

in 2004, they revised the specs, and added a Strata model to the hatchback

Terra gained:
    15" wheels
    Remote locking
    Side airbags, and deactivation switch for passenger airbag

Strata model, gained the following over a Terra:
    15" alloys (same as Luna)
    Front foglights
    side skirts, and rear bumper extensions
    leather steering wheel
    remote stereo
    leather steering wheel and gearknob
    carbon fibre-ish trim on the dash and window controls
    Air conditioning was optional.

Luna models stayed pretty much the same. until 2006, when the Luna 06 model was launched, this was very similar to the Strata model on the hatchback, it gained:
    Climate control
    Fabric armrest
    rear electric windows
    silver trim instead of carbon fibre
    different alloy wheels

Luna model gained rear electric windows and fabric armrest, but didn't get the same extras as the hatchback, it also got the different alloy wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Seeing as this seems the most appropriate thread to ask......was there ever a successor to the Turbo Glanza??

Turbo Yaris perhaps?
    What is a T3 Avensis?

• Advertisement

yup there was a Vitz RS that TRD turbocharged, that would be the closest thing to a Glanza successor. there are of course the 1.5 T Sport old model and 1.8 T Sport new model.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Seeing as this seems the most appropriate thread to ask......was there ever a successor to the Turbo Glanza??

Turbo Yaris perhaps?
    What is a T3 Avensis?

Glanza was a JDM only so not sure what was the spiritual successor to it. The Yaris is called the Vitz is Japan afaik and I think they had a 1.5 turbo RS version of it.

More a luck warm version than a hot hatch:
    411075_1.jpg

Sold in Europe as the Yaris T-Sport.

T3 Avensis is just a UK spec trim level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

colm_mcm wrote: »

Terra:
    colour coded mirrors - not fully colour coded, only the removable cover
    was coded, cant understand why they didnt paint the entire unit.

Luna models stayed pretty much the same. until 2006, when the Luna 06 model was launched, this was very similar to the Strata model on the hatchback, it gained:

different alloy wheels - which were standard on the Corolla Verso 2002
    and which cost 650 euros a wheel :mad::mad::mad:
    1632.jpg

and there is also a Corolla Compressor 5 door hatchback of limited availabilty in Europe, maybe
    one or two here...

if there is anything you need to know about this series of Corolla 2000-2006 check out
    ncvcorolla.loops.jp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Terra:
    Central locking (not remote)
    2 Airbags
    CD player
    2 Electric windows
    Electric mirrors
    ABS and EBD
    14" steel wheels
    colour coded bumpers, mirrors, and handles

Luna, which adds to Terra spec:
    Air conditioning
    15" alloys
    Front foglights
    Remote stereo

in 2004, they revised the specs, and added a Strata model to the hatchback

Terra gained:
    15" wheels
    Remote locking
    Side airbags, and deactivation switch for passenger airbag

Strata model, gained the following over a Terra:
    15" alloys (same as Luna)
    Front foglights
    side skirts, and rear bumper extensions
    leather steering wheel
    remote stereo
    leather steering wheel and gearknob
    carbon fibre-ish trim on the dash and window controls
    Air conditioning was optional.

Climate control
    Fabric armrest
    rear electric windows
    silver trim instead of carbon fibre
    different alloy wheels

Luna model gained rear electric windows and fabric armrest, but didn't get the same extras as the hatchback, it also got the different alloy wheels.

This applies to English and Irish cars?

Captain Slow: this covers Irish models only, UK models have different specs and spec names

G Luxel: We have heard about the alloys before! and I didn't bother mentioning T Sport, or T sport compressor models, as the OP was probably looking for a 1.4

• Advertisement

It's on behalf of my better half - she's undecided between petrol and diesel, she's not doing a lot of mileage anyway, but the diesel should be easier to shift when the time comes.

Do you know what the trim variants are if you go over the Irish Sea?!

the diesel was 2.0 only till 2004, then the 1.4 was introduced. the diesel is the better option, as long as you don't pay over the odds for it.

a quick look at a few ads on autotrader's uk site will build up a picture of standard equipment.

the SR model is similar enough to the Luna 06, as is the colour collection special edition.

Another Q for the toyota "experts":) - is there any way of checking if one has been clocked apart from visual checks? Is the original mileage stored in a safe location, or would it be possible to find evidence of the mileage being tampered with?!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

Another Q for the toyota "experts":) - is there any way of checking if one has been clocked apart from visual checks? Is the original mileage stored in a safe location, or would it be possible to find evidence of the mileage being tampered with?!

The windows are etched with a number and you can ring toyota to find out if everything matchs, engine chassis first owner etc..

Typically like most irish toyota dealers they dont like hard work and will try fob you off saying they dont do this service...

The dealer can also give you the whole service history from the dealer (if applicable), All the dealers are connected up, not certain about any warranty work carried out. You mite have to ring the places where its been serviced to check.

luder wrote: »
    Typically like most irish toyota dealers they dont like hard work and will try fob you off saying they dont do this service...

Huh? Toyota dealers are probably the best in Ireland for customer service, the same applies in the UK.

OP, the best way to see if it's been clocked is to check for a stamped book, and verify the services by phone call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Toyota dealers are probably the best in Ireland for customer service
    Well you would say that wouldn't you:p?

E92 wrote: »
    Well you would say that wouldn't you:p?

Do you disagree?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

Huh? Toyota dealers are probably the best in Ireland for customer service, the same applies in the UK.

Not if you want to order parts for anything other than an Irish / UK car.

Mention ordering TTE parts and more often than not you get some half arsed excuse about how we dont do them..

change dealer, there are dealers who will order in JDM parts if you have information like chassis number to hand.

When the car doesn't give a lot of trouble anyway, you're not going to have a lot of bad words with them!

The toyota database in Ireland is pretty good, give them the reg no. of the car and they can get the vin to order parts.

If only they were more like bmw and stored the mileage in such a way it's hard to clock:(

Thanks for all the help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

If only they were more like bmw and stored the mileage in such a way it's hard to clock:(
    Sorry for going off topic, but could someone explain to me how this is done?

It's stored in 2 or 3 different modules in the car. If you alter the mileage, the module in the instrument cluster holds and displays the altered mileage - if you go into a bmw dealership (or anyone who has the equipment) and have the key read (which can hold a record of the mileage as well), it'll display the true mileage.

It's not 100% foolproof, but the majority of the time it works!

the guys that are clocking the cars are also clocking the keys now.

I don't know if that's possible - AFAIK, when you put the key in the ignition, it checks the dedicated modules to confirm the mileage.

I'm not too familiar with the BMW system, but a guy who is tried to explain it to me a few months ago. apparentlt the only sure way to verify mileage is to ring for a service history

Do you disagree?:pac:
    The dealer we had was outstanding. If you wanted a courtesy car you got one and there was no question of you ever having to pay for it. Cheap as chips as well. However I've gone to some in Cork and Dublin who were poor to be kind about it, I've seen better myself in supposedly rubbish dealers like Ford and Opel and thought that because it was a Toyota the car should sell itself.

Nothing beats TXM though; they made sure we bought a 520d and not an A4 or a Merc E-class a week ago; well we had it narrowed down to the Audi and the BMW until we went to that dealer in Cork and decided there and then it had to be BMW who have been very good so far. Then I found the Merc July prices, and to tell the truth the parents were much more interested in the Merc than the 5 series especially at only €45k, which they said was a "bargain" but of course there's only one dealer in Cork that does them so that ruled itself out automatically.

Nothing beats TXM though; they made sure we bought a 520d and not an A4 or a Merc E-class a week ago; well we had it narrowed down to the Audi and the BMW until we went to that dealer in Cork and decided there and then it had to be BMW who have been very good so far. Then I found the Merc July prices, and to tell the truth the parents were much more interested in the Merc than the 5 series especially at only €45k, which they said was a "bargain" but of course there's only one dealer in Cork that does them so that ruled itself out automatically.
    Jebus, I can imagine the 4 hour rant you'd go on if they bought anything other than a BMW :D

Jebus, I can imagine the 4 hour rant you'd go on if they bought anything other than a BMW :D

Funny you should say that, because the B8 A4 is a lovely car, and the current 5 series looks ugly as we all know, still doesn't ride well enough and the 520d is far too loud and nowhere near refined enough for an executive saloon. I much prefer the E39, and even my E34. They on the other hand think it looks great and think that engine is the greatest thing since sliced bread(it does go like a train compared to the previous 1.8 Avensis but then again it does have 177 bhp rather than 129 bhp), and I must say it really delivers on the mpg front. The ride doesn't bother them either:)!

and the current 5 series is one of my least favourite BMWs of all time.
    I'd still have one over an A6 though! the Audi is pleasant, but doesn't do anything for me

• Advertisement

I've always like the A6. I like most recent Audis to be fair, but I don't go on about it because we have someone selling them here so I'll let him do the promoting:D! Unlike the Merc the interior feels like a quality item. The E60 does nothing for me I'm afraid. Never did. I still don't like the design nearly 5 years after I first saw it.

The Merc would be my favourite but from personal experiences of them I have no faith at all in them for reliability. Since we managed 130k km in just over 3 years in an Avensis, reliability is important. I've gone in a few W211 taxis with low mileage in different countries and they were riddled with faults. It has to be more than just pure bad luck on my part if every one of them I've gone in had something wrong with it.

Advertisement