Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DBS Part Time night courses

Options
  • 25-06-2008 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Are they worth it? I have this fantasy in my head that I'll be able to work full time AND be fit enough for classes 2 nights a week + study. Has anyone else here managed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

A lot of people manage it but it certainly isn't easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Has anyone here done/or is doing a course there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

Hey windsock I'm going to DBS in september part time and I run a company during the day. Its a daunting ask I know but definitely do-able if you have the interest. I can see myself falling asleep alot and missing loads but thats why we study and revise! The deadline is the 22nd of this month so get moving if youre into doing something!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

2 x gf's done what you are going to do, it's do-able alright, you will be looking forward to it's conclusion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ponygirl

Hi Windsock,

I'm 99% decided that I'm starting one in September this year. Just trying to make sure I'm really really really ready to commit before coughing up the €€€s!
    But I keep coming back to if not now then when... I mean if that lotto win doesn't happen, then chances are there'll always be work to deal with! But I think once you decide to go down this route (adult education) you're not going to be over it until you've given it a shot.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

Well I have a place there waiting for me and i have decided I may as well give it a shot. I have nothing else to lose only money, time, sleep and dignity if I fail :pac:
    I'm sure it will be fine once I get into the swing of it. It's just my stupid brain making a big mountain out of it all I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hey Windsock. I been going to DBS for 2 years and working fulltime. Doing 2 nights a week but have a slight advantage in that I'm working shift work and have time to study. It depends what you want! Are you looking to getta first or would you be happy enough passing? I find the courses pretty good and really enjoy them but God it is hard work especially around exam time. What course are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I've been doing a one year masters at night while working a fairly busy job during the day (and running a company on the side.)

It's completely doable. I've put in a bit of effort (enough to damage my social life!) and I've gotten straight A's.

Keep on top of things to keep the stress at bay, do a little bit of study every week instead of leaving it all until your exams, and you'll be grand!

Oh - private colleges don't want you to drop out. They'll make sure you pass.

Go for it. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Oh - private colleges don't want you to drop out. They'll make sure you pass.

Go for it. :)

I've seen alot of people that were in my class drop out or fail. They still have external examiners the same as any other college so the standard has to be pretty high. Also a low standard of graduant gives the college a negative image which in turn makes people not want to go. Grrrrrrrrrrrr Belittle my degree will you????????????? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I've seen alot of people that were in my class drop out or fail. They still have external examiners the same as any other college so the standard has to be pretty high. Also a low standard of graduant gives the college a negative image which in turn makes people not want to go. Grrrrrrrrrrrr Belittle my degree will you????????????? :)

Well, there does appear to be quite a difference between the private and non-private colleges!

For example, in DIT they didn't give a **** whatsoever if you dropped out, and they had no interest in giving you a pass when you didn't deserve it.

Definitely I have noticed a much more relaxed attitude to passing people in private colleges.

• Advertisement

Do you not think it would be maybe because people are spending lots of money to attend private colleges which gives them more of an incentive to study than the casual school leaver looking for 'the student life'? There would also tend to be (in DBS anyway) a higher proportion of mature students whom (in general) perform to a higher standard than school leavers. Also in DBS there are many Chinese and other non EU students who must pay astronomical fees (I'm talking 10K per year). Are they going to throw this money away for the want of a bit of extra study? The courses there are all certified by Hetac or Liverpool JM University to maintain standards. I would accept however that your opinion is the common perception of private colleges but I have yet to see evidence to back up this perception.

Thanks for the replies. I am doing the Social Science honours degree. I haven't studied since my leaving nearly 10 years ago, so I am a little apprehensive :confused: but I will use a day every weekend to study. I hope :)

Thats great. Best of luck with it. I've met some really cool people since starting it too. There tends to be group assignments as 20-30% of the course work so gives you a chance to get to know people. Haha I've been saying since I started that I will study one day a week but still end up cramming for the 3 weeks before the exam:)

Advertisement