Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Magazines effect performance?

Options
  • 25-06-2008 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

I am not sure if this has been discussed before but I'll go ahead anyway and see if anyone has had similar experiences.

With two AEGs I have noticed how different types of magazines seem to effect performance. Doesnt make much sense to me but maybe one of the mechanically minded lads here can shed some light on this.

I would consider that at worst a magazine in an AEG would either feed erratically or not at all. Depends on the quality of the magazine and how well its suited to the AEG. What I would not expect is for some magazines to feed ok but cause bbs to shoot erratically or for them to influence how effectively the hopup works.

I have two examples of this with my own AEGs. My A&K M249 para with the stock box mags shoots quite erratically and the hop does not seem to apply effectively. I have a classic army 1500 round box mag which when attached to the SAW shoots bb's as straight as a laser beam?

The other example is my new pride and glory a Star SCAR. I have some cool looking sand coloured king arms midcap M4 magazines with trades and magpuls they look the business. When I use them in the SCAR the hop gets applied to the first few shots on semi but subsequent shots or shots on full auto seem to have no hop applied. When I use the star midcap that came with the AEG there are no such problems. Bummer! The only observation with the Kingarms mags is that they are somewhat loose and seem to move a bit when I fire the AEG.

:confused::confused::confused:

If people are dissatisfied with performance of an AEG I'd urge them to try a few different magazine brands before writing it off as a turkey. Beg borrow or steal one off your mates to test with :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

It's likely to do with the alignment of the mag with the hopup unit or the mag not feeding correctly, if the BBs aren't being fed correctly into the hopup chamber, then when the air nozzle pushes them forward into the hopup they may not be in the correct position or may not hit the hopup correctly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

sup man, what BBs are you using with the scar? i noticed the tight bore is pickey about what BBs it likes and so far the only consistant ones ive used are excels. this might be completely unrelated but just to elliminate that., :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭hoplite

Things are good Richie I got my SV long barrel for the SCAR today :D so I'm very happy 10 seconds to turn the SCAR into a DMR nice.

I was using 0.2g Blaster bb's with the SCAR and I take your point on the SCAR being fussy about bb's so I will try some excels with my king arms mags. The point being though that the blasters seemed fine when used with the Star magazine.

Oh i see., those blaster for defo dont work in it, i had loads of problems with them and even more so with beast BBs, after borrowing a mag from hivemind (using excels) the gun was brilliant!,.,:)

vtec wrote: »
    Oh i see., those blaster for defo dont work in it, i had loads of problems with them and even more so with beast BBs, after borrowing a mag from hivemind (using excels) the gun was brilliant!,.,:)

Good enough for me I'll grab some excel bbs and test again. Thanks!

I must go back to my A&K para and make sure I was using the same type of BBs in both box mags. The best thing is to empty the mags and test with excels. So what looked like a mag issue might in fact be a bb issue.

I'll try to get some excels tomorrow and test again.

• Advertisement

it actually baffled me for ages and it was only purely by accident that i figured it out.,lol

those scar mid caps are great too arnt they, double stacking and they take loads of rounds.,

The Star midcap is sweet alright. Thanks again Richie I hope to be able to rehabilitate my KA mags with some excel bb's I'll let you know how I get on.

Advertisement