Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Crazy Russian dog experiments [ Not for the faint-hearted ]

• 26-06-2008 12:45am

Mod edit: The videos contain scenes that some viewers may find disturbing.

This is unbelievable:eek:

Definitely not to everyone's taste,especially animal lovers...so be warned

Horrifying for the poor dogs of course,but I was unaware we had the technology to do such things even now, nevermind so many years ago.

Up first a 2 headed dog...

This video Chronicles some of the experiments of Vladimir Demikhov, a Soviet scientist who made the first transplantation of a dog's heart in 1952. The experiment, aimed at finding ways of replacing portions of the human body lost through injury or disease, was pronounced Russia's "most successful". In 1946 Demikhov replaced the whole heart-lungs complex of a dog without using the apparatus of artificial circulation of blood. In 1954 he conducted a revolutionary experiment, when he created a two-headed dog by grafting a puppy's head to a full grown pooch. Then scientists even observed the process of rejuvenation of the elder dog. Shown are the two dogs before the operation, Demikhov performing operations, the puppy's head lapping up water, demonstration of the dog on a scientists' conference..."

and now it's time for a severed dogs head,kept alive via machine

Bryukhonenko's work with canine circulation seems obscure today, but at the time was well publicized; his decapitation experiment even remarked upon by George Bernard Shaw. Bryukhonenko's procedures are attested to in numerous books and medical papers, with some sources providing detailed technical information on the operations shown in the film. These texts also shed light on failures not mentioned in the film. For example, the severed heads survived only minutes in artificial circulation, while the resuscitated dogs often died after a few days.

Perhaps most importantly, Bryukhonenko's research was vital to the development of open-heart procedures in Russia. He was one of the leaders of the Research Institute of Experimental Surgery, where Professor A.A. Vishnevsky performed the first Soviet open-heart operation in 1957. Bryukhonenko developed a new version of the autojektor (for use on humans) in the same year; it can be seen today on display at the Museum of Cardiovascular Surgery at the Scientific Center of Cardiovascular Surgery in Russia. Bryukhonenko was awarded the prestigious Lenin Prize posthumously."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I'd mark this as NSFW or some such before people come poking in here and get all upset 'n stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Abigayle: Post deleted. Don't do it again. It's old and it's boring and it's in violation of the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Dammit. Foiled.

/Heads for charter

Greatest Dog Experiment Ever: Russian's trying to use them as anti-tank weapons by training them to go under tanks with explosives and then exploding.

Problem: They trained using Russian tanks so in battle they just turned around and ran under the Russian tanks. :D

The severed head experiment was fascinating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Homer

Severed dog's head one was bizarre! When they showed the hammer :eek: thought it was gonna be experiment over! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

1:37 in the first video...not a happy puppy.

When you say the scientists noticed rejuvenation of the older dog, does that mean the older dog got younger because it began sharing cells with the puppy? If so that's pretty impressive. I plan on grafting my grandchildren to myself when I get older so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

That poor dog, I felt so sorry for it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭the_follwer

maybe they should get an old age pensioner and two babies and sew them onto the oap to see how acceptable that would be to the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The Soviets could have had an army of wonder dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Wow, the bodyless head video is amazing

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Urgh. Didn't think it was real until I googled him. Weird the way the dogs head could still move with no body..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

That's very sick tbh, I've read about it but I couldn't watch it.:(

Advertisement