Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finding it a little..boring?

• 26-06-2008 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭

I loved GTA1, 2, 3, VC and even SA, as many warts as it had.

Yet I'm 5 hours into GTA4 and it just hasnt grabbed me. The missions have been short and boring(I know its early yet, just saying), there seems to be an unnecessary amount of new controls and actions(though I do like new targetting), the car physics are different without feeling much better and the walking+camera is really annoying in confined spaces.

Anything past "the missions have been short and boring" doesnt really matter to tell the truth, and I'm going to keep playing it. But does it pick up significantly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 paularklow

have a go online, its great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah it gets better. You get used to the car handling, it's actually much better. The missions get more interesting but they aren't all that varied throughout the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Meh, kind of gone off online games :) Years of cs/dod/bf2 and especially ****ing WoW has weaned me off wanting to play games with strangers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Tragedy wrote: »
    But does it pick up significantly?
    Not really IMO.
    Apart from two or three really nice missions, it feels pretty much the same the whole way through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

ah it definitely picks up. takes ages to get the better weapons. wish there was some more minigames and rampages. a rampage with rpg only use would be a dream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Thought the same but for me it did pick up after the first few hours. If anything it's a little too easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Wheres all the fun interesting missions.

Every one is drive here, shoot 5 enemies, run shoot 5 more. Escape police.

Where are the boat races, the helicopter jobs, back of cars with a gun, gun sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

i felt the same as you now that im finished the story i dont play it at all anymore,
    prob gonna trade it in for a different game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I don't think GTA IV doesn't have the ability to make you play back through it that the others have. Not much in it to be honest. Though I did visit the heart of Liberty thing yesterday, that was quite cool I taught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I thought it did get a lot better as the game progressed. But I passed a mission and for some reason it didn't save onto my hard drive, so I have to do it again. I can't pass the thing at all to save my life now and got it the first time around too!

OP when you are driving a car, use the inside few. I find it much easier to handle them this way, that was one of the things that took a while to get used to imo.

• Advertisement

Going to give it another 2 hours today, if that doesnt get me into it I'll probably declare my gaming interest dead!

@Duffff-man, I've been using inside view. Why the hell do they have such a crap one? Much preferred SA's two inside views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Probably because you're so used to the format and there really hasn't been any drastic changes to it. But hopefully the next installment will offer something more surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Yeah it's still just GTA at heart - albeit all souped upped and with a Eastern European accent. The bank robbery mission was quite good. There is a lot of chase missions though.

It doesnt feel like GTA at heart, the missions are really REALLY fricken short. Like less than 30 seconds for most so far, very few combined missions(like chase+on foot), its lost the arcadey pick up and play feel with movement/cars and just isnt involving me. The plot/acting seems fairly good, but its so slow and in so many dribs and drabs that it isnt enough.

Bah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I thought the same ,but the ending was great ,last few missions were unreal, diff choices ,diff endings. Some big twists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I've not played GTA on my xbox since finishing it and I'm a big GTA fan, they took out loads of the fun little extra things for absolutely no reason at all.

This exclusive download content better be something fricking good

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

ah the bank job was a lot of fun ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

smog wrote: »
    ah the bank job was a lot of fun ;)

+1

Would be great if you could rob other banks by picking a crew to go in with you, grab the money and go and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 monkfish

What makes IV stand out is the richness of the texture. You're supposed to spend more time in the game, and less doing missions. I miss the drama of SA too, but the texture of the city is much richer here. Its all background until you look, and there are jokes, little bits of Dickensian genius everwhere. This one is for the Dickens fans.

monkfish wrote: »
    What makes IV stand out is the richness of the texture. You're supposed to spend more time in the game, and less doing missions. I miss the drama of SA too, but the texture of the city is much richer here. Its all background until you look, and there are jokes, little bits of Dickensian genius everwhere. This one is for the Dickens fans.
    True... but there's fùck all to do elsewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Its funner than gta 3...which was really boring other than that it was the first 3-d open ended game I think.

Almost finished.

All I can say is, the mission designers really, REALLY let down everyone else on the team.

World, graphics, acting, script - all very good(though I'm not going to verbally orgasm over the story like some people, it's not THAT good). But the missions are ****.

Fire them and hire new talent please Rockstar.

Yeah I agree!! I have to say though, for a small game, Vice City Stories had great verity!

Advertisement