Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LIDL Opening Tomorrow Morning

• 26-06-2008 3:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

At last it's opening (Castlebar). They've put the finishing touches to the site etc etc and have stocked up the shop. All ready for doors opening in the morning. I'll never set foot in Super Valu again :) I have Lidl and Aldi to get my main shopping stuff and Tesco to cover the bits that I can't get in the german shops.

Riv

:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Where is it in Castlebar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

It's located in between the cinema/bowling alley and Davitt secondary school. They did a good job of building it. It's just off the roundabout for the main sligo road (Big Statoil/Mulroys on the roundabout). Instead of heading for sligo you turn left as if you wanted to go to the town centre and it's on your left as you go into town. About 2 mins from the roundabout in a car. I wandered past today thinking I'd just grab some bread and milk it was packed.

Riv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

the only problem id have with the lidl store is that its gonna create mayhem once davitt college opens again at the start of September!:(just you wait,that and it looks actually like aldi,if aldi was made out of lego,LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

donmeister wrote: »
    the only problem id have with the lidl store is that its gonna create mayhem once davitt college opens again at the start of September!:(just you wait,that and it looks actually like aldi,if aldi was made out of lego,LOL

I'm amazed at how nearly every lidl looks the same,
    You'd think they'd mix the design up a little from time to time!

but then again,i suppose there all made the same,design and layout of the store to keep with the business plan of lidl,if so,they must be doing something right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Is there some connection between Aldi and Lidl? Someone told me that they were owned by German brothers but surely thats rubbish??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

donmeister wrote: »
    but then again,i suppose there all made the same,design and layout of the store to keep with the business plan of lidl,if so,they must be doing something right!
    True,if it ain't broke don't fix it i guess
    RMDrive wrote: »
    Is there some connection between Aldi and Lidl? Someone told me that they were owned by German brothers but surely thats rubbish??

Maybe, addidas and puma were owned by rival brothers so its not beyond the realms of possibility

nope,its all true!
    hence why,the following:
    1. There stores all have the same basic layout:confused:
    2. No proper shelves :mad:
    3. Always have offers each week on various items(cameras,tents,etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Considering it's location, they should rename it 'chav central' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Yes its wonderful that another of these warehouses has opened up, creating little or no employment, buying little or nothing from irish suppliers, repatriating all of its profits overseas, giving little or nothing to local service providers ie, accountants, solicitors, maintenance etc and giving little or nothing back to the local community in terms of sponsorship etc.
    these companies are nothing more than parasites which suck as much money from the area while giving the least amount back.

oh happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

No, but the Aldi chain split into two separate groups (Aldi-Sud and Aldi-Nord) in 1960 over a dispute whether they should sell cigarettes.

Theo Albrecht runs Aldi-Nord and Karl Albrecht runs Aldi-Sud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SUN19

Shelflife wrote: »
    Yes its wonderful that another of these warehouses has opened up, creating little or no employment, buying little or nothing from irish suppliers, repatriating all of its profits overseas, giving little or nothing to local service providers ie, accountants, solicitors, maintenance etc and giving little or nothing back to the local community in terms of sponsorship etc.
    these companies are nothing more than parasites which suck as much money from the area while giving the least amount back.

oh happy days.

i agree with this, if we're not careful in a couple of years there'll only be lidl aldi tesco and dunnes left in the country. what sort of competition do you think we'll have then!! People are too quick to forget about their local shops. These are the ones who support other local businesses and give sponsorship for local events etc. by abandoning these shops we're shooting ourselves in the foot, within 10 years we'll have no choice and a virtual monopoly in the supermarket business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

oh happy days.
    Why shouldn't they set up here though? They charge lower prices than local stores and the Irish supermarkets (Supervalu Dunnes etc.) thus eliminating the likelihood of a monopoly occuring. I for one will be shopping much more regularly for mineral drinks and other items in Tesco and Aldi anymore because the local shops are just too dear.

The greatest thing that has happened to Castlebar in the last few years has been the setting up of a Lifestyle Sports and especially Heatons Sportsworld. Before that, Elvery's ran a monoploy charging whatever they wanted. Now go into Elverys and you'll see jumpers at half price and fair prices for most goods. Surely that is a good thing for the consumer and society, employment is created.

Don't worry, the accountants and solicitors will be just fine with the rates they charge ;)
    SUN19 wrote: »
    i agree with this, if we're not careful in a couple of years there'll only be lidl aldi tesco and dunnes left in the country. what sort of competition do you think we'll have then!! People are too quick to forget about their local shops. These are the ones who support other local businesses and give sponsorship for local events etc. by abandoning these shops we're shooting ourselves in the foot, within 10 years we'll have no choice and a virtual monopoly in the supermarket business.
    You mean the local shops who charge extortionate prices? Thanks, but I'd rather by my goods for half the price in SuperValu or Tesco etc.

So the introduction of new supermarket firms into Ireland will in turn create a monoploy within 10 years? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

oh happy days.

I agree totally. See what has happened in the UK. "Tescopoly" I believe they call it. See http://www.tescopoly.org/ When these stores have killed of the competition, then they will rationalise themselves. This will mean closures in may towns, in Mayo only Castlebar will survive, stores in Ballina will close. Wait till people have to travel from Ballycastle to Castlebar for any groceries they need, then we'll see if the shortsighted "cheaper prices" fix is the best one.

Another question, given that little if any of their produce if any is produced in Ireland, I take it that those that diligently spend what they can in Aldi and Lidl and even Tesco's will be happy when their children and grandchildren have to outmigrate to Eastern Europe to get a low paid jobs in one of their supplying factories.

What'll our farmers produce and for what price, which by the way is one thing that amazes me... to see farmers in these places buying the milk that comes from Northern Ireland or further away, they giving out that the price of milk they sell off their farm is falling!

Think long term and bigger picture, people!!

By the way, this opinion is not to give licence to the smaller shops to charge what they want and give poor goods or service. I think they need to up their game as well but I do think they are up against it, less footfall, high rates etc, no economy of scale, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

KT4

yes competition is good , but the point im making is that aldi /lidl offer little or no employment and import most of their products so the net effect to the irish economy is negative.

the local shops do need to up their game but the reality is that their prices are not that much different to the supermarkets-- yes on a few products but across the board their isnt alot esp when you take in the travel costs of getting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I caught up to the Tesco delivery van about 6 miles from Castlebar this evening.

Dublin reg - obviously bought in Dublin, supporting a Dublin dealership, signwritten by a Dublin Company or maybe even brought to the UK for this, and probably using their own brand diesel, delivering imported produce. A massive input into the Mayo economy :rolleyes:, yet they are looking for the local garage owners / signwriters / filling station owners / farmers / food producers families to do the weekly shop with them. And what's really worrying, is that many of them do just that.

Just an example of the "contribution" that Tesco makes to the local economy!!

I suppose I'm slightly sorry for singling them out as all the other multiples are the same.

Just another thought, next time you want sponsorship for the local scouts club, ask the manager in Tesco or Aldi. I know the response you'll get.

Advertisement