Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Draft 2008

• 26-06-2008 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Predictions? Beasley to Bulls? Flipping work tomorrow means I can't watch it. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Trade just went down

Raptors trade TJ Ford, Rasho Nesterovic, & #17 for Jermaine O'Neal

I think it's a good deal for both teams. J'Oneal has 2 yrs left, so not a long time risk and if he stays healthy, they can be pretty decent.

Indiana now will really start their re-buildin' process, and have a good player in Granger to start with, and 2 first rounders this year. They do need to get rid of Tinsley too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

First Round

1. Chicago Derrick Rose PG 6-3 205 Memphis
    The Chicago native will likely force the Bulls to trade either Ben Gordon or Kirk Hinrich, but it'll be worth it if Rose lives up to his billing as a blend of Chris Paul and Jason Kidd.

2. Miami Michael Beasley PF 6-9 235 Kansas State
    Miami instantly improves its frontcourt with a player who can score, rebound and run the floor. Some worry about his character and size against other power forwards, but those fears are overblown.

3. Minnesota O.J. Mayo SG 6-4 200 USC
    A complete player who can run the offense, score from anywhere on the court and defend the opponent's top guard. Mayo could be Beasley's biggest competition for rookie of the year.

4. Seattle Russell Westbrook SG 6-3 189 UCLA
    A dynamite defensive player and explosive leaper, Westbrook could develop into this draft class' best guard, but he'll have to work on his ball-handling and outside shooting.

5. Memphis Kevin Love C 6-9 271 UCLA
    Love's a little undersized, but makes up for it with his strength and footwork on the blocks. He can't jump, but is a capable athlete who can hit the open jumper and excels as a passer.

6. New York Danilo Gallinari SF 6-9 209 Italy
    The draft's top foreign prospect is a dynamite ball-handler for his size and thrives as an outside shooter. He'll struggle on defense and isn't much help on the boards.

7. L.A. Clippers Eric Gordon SG 6-4 215 Indiana
    A dynamite scorer from the perimeter or driving to the basket, Gordon instantly upgrades the Clippers' backcourt. He can struggle with turnovers and isn't a natural point guard, which won't help L.A. if Shaun Livingston can't stay healthy.

8. Milwaukee Joe Alexander SF 6-10 230 West Virginia
    Alexander features a deadly mid-range jumper and great jumping ability, but figures to come off Milwaukee's bench with the trade for Richard Jefferson, who's pretty much the same player.

9. Charlotte D.J. Augustin PG 6-0 180 Texas
    Augustin's lightning quick and a capable perimter shooter who could challenge Raymond Felton for the starting role in Charlotte. Still, with Brook Lopez available, the Bobcats could've used that inside help, too.

10. New Jersey Brook Lopez C 7-0 260 Stanford
    The Nets benefited by other teams passing on Lopez. He immediately becomes their best post player, and prevents newly acquired Yi Jianlian from having to guard opposing centers.

Just putting the top ten in for now!

Here's a link to an interactive draft for anyone wo might wana look at it in more detail!

Memphis gets: Mayo, Jaric, A Walker, and G Buckner

Minnesota gets: Love, M Miller, B Cardinal, and Jason Collins

I like this trade a lot for Minnesota. I am very high on Love, and getting a dead on shooter like Miller is great. Only problem is they take on Cardinal's terrible contract. Memphis continues to shed its team of payroll.

Love for Mayo

Here are my draft grades for every team.

Atlanta: N/A

Boston: B+.
    Got two potential steals in Giddens and Walker.

Charlotte: C+.
    Never was too impressed with Augustin. Weaver is decent value in the 2nd though.

Chicago: A.
    They got the best player in the draft. That's an automatic A.

Cleveland: B+.
    Just like Chad Ford, I love the HIckson pick. He would have been a top 10 pick next season.

Dallas: F
    Shaun Foster gets minus points for signing "I can't wait to be in the NBA".

Denver: D
    They gave away their first round pick to save money, and drafted a nobody in the 2nd round.

Detroit: F
    Seriously. Who the hell is Walter Sharpe. I even know who Nikola Pekovic and Goran Dragic are. I have no idea who this Sharpie guy is.

Golden State: B+/A-
    Randolph is a stud and Hendrix is a steal.

Houston: A-
    They got Donte Greene AND Joey Dorsey after wheeling and dealing. Two absolute steals.

Indiana: B
    I like how Ford, Rush and Granger fit together, but Roy Hibbert blows.

LA Clippers: A
    They got one of the best players in Space Jam, and DeAndre in the 2nd is a decent pick.

LA Lakers: A+
    They traded their first round pick for Pau Gasol and used their 2nd round pick on a referee.

Memphis: B-
    The Mayo trade doesn't make sense to me, but what do you expect when Chris Wallace and Kevin McHale make a trade? Memphis needed frontcourt help in a bad way. It brought their grade from a A- to a B-. I love Arthur at 27 though, that could be a huge steal.

Milwaukee: A
    They get bonus points for getting RJ for garbage (Yi and Simmons). And I like Vanilla Sky.

Minnesota: C+
    Love and Jefferson do not fit together. Only Chris Wallace and Kevin McHale could make a trade where both teams get worse.

New Jersey: B-
    The original grade for their draft picks was a B+. But trading RJ for a scrub (Yi) and a horrendous contract (Simmons) dropped them down to a C+. Stealing CDR in the 2nd round brings them up to a B-.

New Orleans: N/A

New York: F
    Gallinari is a scrub.

Orlando: B+
    They fullfilled a need and got a good, strong 2-guard in Lee.

Philadelphia: A+
    Speights and Young is going to be a HUGE Eastern Conference combo.

Phoenix: D
    Robin Lopez was picked one round too early. Steve Kerr should quit. He's already screwed up the Suns and he's barely been there a year.

Portland: A
    When they stole Bayless, their draft grade was at an A. When they drafted Arthur, their draft grade was at an A+. But their draft grade goes back down to an A for trading Arthur for Batum.

Sacramento: C
    At every single pick, Geoff Peitrie reached for a player.

San Antonio: F
    They passed on Chalmers for George Hill and the rest of their picks are garbage.

Seattle: A
    They picked Westbrook too high, but Ibaka, White, and Hardin are very good players.

Toronto: A
    They traded for Jermaine and stashed away Jawai. Smart moves to make this team better. That's what you expect from Colangelo (though he did pick that Italian scrub Bargnani over Brandon Roy).

Utah: B-
    The thought of Koufos at 14 p**sed me off, but he is good value in the 20s.

Washington: D-
    They drafted the second coming of Patrick O'Bryant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Re: Roy hibbert... a lot of people don't like him including me. However, just another perspective... I'm pretty sure the stats back him up. And I don't mean his boxscore - John Hollinger's ratings, his PER and +/- make him one of, if not the, best centers in the draft. Those aren't my words either.

Personally, I hate watching the guy, a big lumbering, nonchalant looking center who looks like he needs a massive kick up the arse. However, some people are what they are, and I'm reserving judgement on his pro career. He will not be the next Howard or maybe not even close, but he might be a pretty average starting center for some team in the future.

The draft is not just about what you draft, but what you do with what you draft. Seem to get a lot of people missing that point as well. Plenty of teams have historically not done much with their high potential, high "upside" draft picks. Look at teams like Portland ... they have a lot of young guys on their roster already. There is only so much room for player development and even Roy is still developing as a player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 perish

Hello!!
    I'm a guy looking for people to play basket.I'm new in the city and just i've seen one basket courts.Do anyone want play?

On the other hand this year i don't follow the draft, but i know the seattle's change, why have it been in oklahoma? economics problems? i'm a sonic's supporter.a payton supporter, :D.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement