Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

J-blk wrote: »
    For f***'s sake already... I've filled out the damn forms to upgrade from my 6MB twice now - two weeks ago and three days ago. No emails, no contact, no change in speeds. Emailed support... no answer.... And the last few days, most of the time my speeds are like this:

291251186.png

So much for treating existing customers well.. been with NTL/UPC for two years now - I always love how they screw over their existing customer base whenever these upgrades come through. And yes, I've rebooted the modem a few times...

There is obviously a fault- your ping is dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

My speed has really gone down now, when I tested this morning I was getting around 17000kbs / 950kbs and a ping of around 20. Now I'm getting around 1200 / 412 with a ping of around 300

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah im on 2meg with a 50 ping, I'd try rebooting the modem. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

rc28 wrote: »
    There is obviously a fault- your ping is dreadful.

I really doubt it's a fault on the modem's end - I can run the same test at non-peak hours and get a ping < 40ms and speeds closer to the full 6MB. Congestion? I don't know, but my point is that they are not really arsed in upgrading existing customers (for the most part), just getting new customers...

Yeah im on 2meg with a 50 ping, I'd try rebooting the modem. :pac:

Just tried it but it didn't make a difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

This is slightly off topic but I really want their 20mb broadband - I rang customer service and they said I cant get it, their website says I can so I'll order through that and hope for the best.

Whats happens if I cancel Eircom now? I've had them roughly 3 months, maybe 4. Do i get charged for 8 months worth of broadband? Their FAQs gave me the impression I would be.

I also dont care about my phone line so what would happen if I were to accidently cancel my Direct Debit after I cancel my broadband? Do big men with clubs come to my house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

this is a joke, fair play to ntl for this, eircom should be ashamed of themselves, i wish i could get something else but im stuck with eircom, although the prices are a rip off the quality of service im gettin from them is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

AntiVirus wrote: »
    With these kind of speeds they could offer a video on demand service to your UPC Digital set top box. You could pick a movie from a very large library to watch anytime on your TV.

You would need a new UPC set top box of course. :)

i have the new upc digital recorder with all the upc branding and the remote has interactive and on demand buttons.. right now they dont do anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Yea i ordered online when it said i can get it they rang the next day and said i couldnt but i got a letter in the door on monday saying their upgrading my area for bb and should be completed in the next 12 weeks

great wrote: »
    i have the new upc digital recorder with all the upc branding and the remote has interactive and on demand buttons.. right now they dont do anything

I have one too. It also has an eternet port and gets an IP address. If you look at the diagnostics from the menu it appears to have a cable modem onboard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bk wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so certain about that, UPC have already been talking about rolling out DOCSIS 3 and greater then 20mb speeds.

Also this will really spur Eircom into starting their Next Generation Network (NGN) roll out of Fibre To The Curb and VDSL2, this should certainly allow Eircom to deliver greater then 20mb speeds.

It certainly won't happen over night, but up until this week, Eircom seemed to have a rather lazy upgrade plane to 8mb BB in ADSL and 12mb on ADSL2+ in some exchanges. This UPC news will be a shock to them and they are going to lose a lot of customers to UPC. The days of Eircom setting the BB pace in Ireland are over, they won't have any choice now but to speed up their NGN deployment plans.

Exciting times ahead :D

I doubt it very much. I don't think Eircom have the money for much investment unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

dub45 wrote: »
    I don't think Eircom have the money for much investment unfortunately.

Thats whats exciting :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dub45 wrote: »
    I doubt it very much. I don't think Eircom have the money for much investment unfortunately.

If UPC thought that eircom had money they would not have bothered with this 20mbit wheeze of theirs . They are not that brave .

UPC also need to effectively counter customer erosion from

1. SKY+ HD offers for €149 + €50 install
    2. BBC Freesat HD for €200

together with chronic revenue erosion from piracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Feidhlim wrote: »
    This is slightly off topic but I really want their 20mb broadband - I rang customer service and they said I cant get it, their website says I can so I'll order through that and hope for the best.

Whats happens if I cancel Eircom now? I've had them roughly 3 months, maybe 4. Do i get charged for 8 months worth of broadband? Their FAQs gave me the impression I would be.

I also dont care about my phone line so what would happen if I were to accidently cancel my Direct Debit after I cancel my broadband? Do big men with clubs come to my house?

why not get UPC phone line 2 only 4euro for line rental if u have there TV service and port number for free ;) 44 euro it total for phone and 20mb BB surely Eircom cant compare to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

campo wrote: »
    why not get UPC phone line 2 only 4euro for line rental if u have there TV service and port number for free ;) 44 euro it total for phone and 20mb BB surely Eircom cant compare to that

€44? You forgot to add in the cost of the TV.

benifa wrote: »
    €44? You forgot to add in the cost of the TV.

Well did not know what tv option he has thats why I said 44e for phone and 20mb BB

Tv goes from 20e pm to 37e pm depending on what package

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

TV is no longer tied with BB IIRC , you can get Phone and 20mbits for €50 a month inc vat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It actually goes up to €32. So that's €76 for digital tv, 20Mb broadband and phone. That's pretty good.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    TV is no longer tied with BB IIRC , you can get Phone and 20mbits for €50 a month inc vat.

Na, that would be €56. €40 (bb) + €10 (phone) + €6 (no TV fee).

Phone line rental is only €4 per month if you have all 3 services. Otherwise it's €10 per month.

http://www.upc.ie/phone/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

It actually goes up to €32. So that's €76 for digital tv, 20Mb broadband and phone. That's pretty good.

Here are the bundles they offer;
    http://www.upc.ie/deals/newcustomer/
    79 for the max pack

• Advertisement

I was including the DVR that would make it 37e so 81 euro for TV + 20MB BB + PHONE add 10e if u want your local and national calls free

To be honest lads, their phone service is expensive compared with Blueface. Their both VoIP and Blueface is much cheaper.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

rc28 wrote: »
    Here are the bundles they offer;
    http://www.upc.ie/deals/newcustomer/
    79 for the max pack
    That only has the cheapest digital tv included in the price though. Wouldn't use the dvr much and I'd doubt the phone would get that much usage to warrant the extra €10 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

davidh99 wrote: »
    So I wonder whats going to happen to my connection?
    Currently paying €25 per month for a 2MB connection which hasn't existed (the tariff) according to their website for many months
    Will I get doubled to 4MB for my €25?
    OR
    Will U I need to downgrade to €20 per month and get 3MB?
    customers on 2mb light will be upgraded to 6mb.
    http://www.upc.ie/internet/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

i wonder if this was upc's plan.

as they saw eircom going to upgrade there network they decided to upgrade everyone on there lines lowest being 2mb and highest being 12.

knowing eircom cant increase there lines anymore then they are going to. ntl wait until the end of june(watching eircom stuggle to update 3mb lines to 7.6)(which they still havent done) increase it again taking eircom out of the race all together.

considering that it took them 4 days to get me on to the 12mb service.

when it just came availible i rang ntl and they said they could hook me up in 4 days and they did and it had worked wonders from then on. havent had a single issue with them

now the update for the 20mb line came in perfectly and i was shocked to see that they could do it so easily and with no one expecting it or even demanding it.

im very pleased with the service i have been getting from ntl and the price is cheaper then eircoms 2mb line including line rental.(that is a 10 fold increase and playing less.

i guess there is alot of people out there with bad experiances with ntl but if i was a betting man they will start to convert back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

291409517.png

Eircom is a joke now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I ordered UPC broadband on Tuessday, and they turned up this morning to install my 20mb broadband. Unfortunately they were unable to a strong enough signal and had to abort the installation.

They told me they were going to get a company called 2nd line to come out and try to strenghten the signal. Anyone know how long this will take, and whether it will work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

just onto NTL there and they said i would have my 10meg line in the next few hours, nice... up until now i still hadnt gone from 3 - 6, so this will be an enjoyable 7meg gain....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

just onto NTL there and they said i would have my 10meg line in the next few hours, nice... up until now i still hadnt gone from 3 - 6, so this will be an enjoyable 7meg gain....

Did you fill out the form? If you did, unplug your modem and plug it back in. I had my increase in less than 15 minutes after filling out the form.

Advertisement