Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Did you fill out the form? If you did, unplug your modem and plug it back in. I had my increase in less than 15 minutes after filling out the form.

filled in the form last month and again yesterday, still no increase, was told i should have it in the next few hours.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Did you fill out the form? If you did, unplug your modem and plug it back in. I had my increase in less than 15 minutes after filling out the form.

Perhaps the form needs to be filled out the exact same as your details appear on your NTL bill, for example NTL spelled my surname incorrectly on their Bill so if I submitted details to them although they'd be correct they wouldn't match there records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Cabaal wrote: »
    Perhaps the form needs to be filled out the exact same as your details appear on your NTL bill, for example NTL spelled my surname incorrectly on their Bill so if I submitted details to them although they'd be correct they wouldn't match there records.

Possible but I'd be surprised, NTL have my address wrong (despite repeated phone calls) and I always give my proper one, including on the form. I'd think account number is all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Just came across this thread so rebooted modem, in Tallaght

291577780.png

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dubdude2008

yeah i filled in the form a while ago and nothing happend. Gave them a call at around 10 this morning, they upgraded me over the phone. now 20mbs!! it took around 20 minutes to get the full 20mbs, on speed tests i could see it gradually increase!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

randomer wrote: »
    I ordered UPC broadband on Tuessday, and they turned up this morning to install my 20mb broadband. Unfortunately they were unable to a strong enough signal and had to abort the installation.

They told me they were going to get a company called 2nd line to come out and try to strenghten the signal. Anyone know how long this will take, and whether it will work?

2nd line normally takes about two weeks just means they have to work on the canles out side the street they are obviously not stong enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

291674594.png

On the "20 mbps" connection. Horrible ping in the evening resulting in crap speeds. Dublin 1 area. Anybody got a solution?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 thebromeliad

Blindpew wrote: »
    I'd sign up with them in the morning if they increased the cap from 120gb a month. That wouldn't last long with 20mb download speed.
    Just wondering how people download more than 120GB, because that's a lot! I have slow Eircom at the moment and at peak I download about 19GB. Will be switching to UPC 20mb next week..
    Where does most of the bandwith go - torrents? - video?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

i just ordered the 20 mb and phone package for 50 a month and the sales guy said there was no cap

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

That is correct, there is no cap on the 10mb or the 20mg packages since July 1st

http://www.upc.ie/internet/

• Advertisement

guil07 wrote: »
    i just ordered the 20 mb and phone package for 50 a month and the sales guy said there was no cap
    Not my question. Here's my question:
    People were complaining about the old limit of 120GB. Just wondering how people download more than 120GB, because that's a lot! I have slow Eircom at the moment and at peak I download about 19GB.

Where does most of the bandwith go - torrents? - video - gaming?:confused:

Thanks very much, just need to know :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yes didn't have to do anything except re-boot my modem :D

291697845.png

i wasnt referrin to ur post it was the one u quoted and i'd say a lot go's to streaming vids and torrents, i mainly use mine for gamin and it doesnt use much

guil07 wrote: »
    i wasnt referrin to ur post it was the one u quoted and i'd say a lot go's to streaming vids and torrents, i mainly use mine for gamin and it doesnt use much
    Cheers. I'm just amazed that someone could use up 140GB+ in a month!

not sure how much he used but my uncle got a bill off eircom for 600 one month off eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Just wondering how people download more than 120GB, because that's a lot! I have slow Eircom at the moment and at peak I download about 19GB. Will be switching to UPC 20mb next week..
    Where does most of the bandwith go - torrents? - video?

If you look at any torrent site and see how much media content is available you will understand how someone could download that amount, I was downloading twice that with a 3mb connection before BT started throttling me. With 20mb download speed I would expect to download a 1000gb a month at least. It's great news that NTL have uncapped their service, I will be signing up with them soon, I can hardly wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

If you look at any torrent site and see how much media content is available you will understand how someone could download that amount, I was downloading twice that with a 3mb connection before BT started throttling me. With 20mb download speed I would expect to download a 1000gb a month at least. It's great news that NTL have uncapped their service, I will be signing up with them soon, I can hardly wait.

I can will understand how people can suck the Web dry downloading huge amounts of stuff :D

But what confuses me a little is where do you store it all?

Blindpew, you must have to buy a new 1TB external HDD form Komplett every month? :eek:

:)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I can will understand how people can suck the Web dry downloading huge amounts of stuff :D

But what confuses me a little is where do you store it all?

Blindpew, you must have to buy a new 1TB external HDD form Komplett every month? :eek:

:)

-

Well I have several external drives, even one that plays .avi files which I can plug into the television. You can buy a hundred blank dvds for 35 euros and each one holds 4gbs. I could do with building on a room to store them though.

Well I have several external drives, even one that plays .avi files which I can plug into the television. You can buy a hundred blank dvds for 35 euros and each one holds 4gbs. I could do with building on a room to store them though.
    We'll be able to burn BlueRay in a few months. That should put it up to the HD manufacturers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Anyone know for sure if NTL throttle download speeds? I am 99.9% sure they do because i have being trying and getting shocking speeds to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Anyone know for sure if NTL throttle download speeds? I am 99.9% sure they do because i have being trying and getting shocking speeds to be honest.
    They used to throttle torrents, not sure if that is still the case.

They used to throttle torrents, not sure if that is still the case.

I do remember reading a few post's on boards and i can confirm they are still throttling torrents. I was upgraded to 10MB and i am getting a max download speed of just 2.7kbps :eek:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

How many seeds have you got? And are you downloading from a public torrent site (ie no registration/invite required)? NB don't name the site or files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I do remember reading a few post's on boards and i can confirm they are still throttling torrents. I was upgraded to 10MB and i am getting a max download speed of just 2.7kbps :eek:

ehh just downloaded a bunch of torrents at 2.3mbs - 20meg line :-) sure its not the tracker?

I'd be happy enough getting a quarter of a max download speed of 20mb, It would still be twice as good as what I have now and no chance of being throttled every two weeks.

Drapper wrote: »
    ehh just downloaded a bunch of torrents at 2.3mbs - 20meg line :-) sure its not the tracker?

How would i check if its a Tracker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

How would i check if its a Tracker?

its off topic mate, but its to do with the torrent site! private or public and all that stuff! search it on google!

/end

Drapper wrote: »
    its off topic mate, but its to do with the torrent site! private or public and all that stuff! search it on google!

/end

OF course, thank you. I just had no problems with previous provider.

Or you could just "backup" a few DVDs:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SleuthyMcSpySpy

what manufacturer and model number is the modem supplied by UPC?

Advertisement