Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

Hi Guys what sort of modem/Router are instaled with the 20GB BB, installing mine on wednesday ,am I to expect a separate modem and a separate wirless router or it is a modem/wireless router all in one ,is it Netgear ,which model?
    many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

kamin99 wrote: »
    Hi Guys what sort of modem/Router are instaled with the 20GB BB, installing mine on wednesday ,am I to expect a separate modem and a separate wirless router or it is a modem/wireless router all in one ,is it Netgear ,which model?
    many thanks

Separate modem and router. Router is the Netgear WGR614. Ask for a USB wireless adapter if your PC doesn't have one - they'll give you one for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

kamin99 wrote: »
    many thanks

Modem: Scientific Atlanta, model: EPC2203
    http://www.sciatl.com/customers/Source/7008322.pdf

Router: Netgear Wireless G WGR614
    http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/WGR614.aspx

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

benifa wrote: »
    Separate modem and router. Router is the Netgear WGR614. Ask for a USB wireless adapter if your PC doesn't have one - they'll give you one for free.

Thanks for that, you would expect them to supply one piece kit like the WIRELESS CABLE MODEM GATEWAY , Netgear CG834WG ,but can't complain with a 20MB BB can I!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

What DNS servers are you using?

I am using 192.168.1.1. So there is no way to get web pages to load faster really once you get beyond two or three mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

i'm in limerick and got connected (20mb) last monday and have had lots of probs which p2p, hubs etc. lots of things timing out, friends can't ping me. sometimes the connection drops for 10 minutes and can't even browse web pages. a techie is booked for today, hopefully it gets sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Well I restarted my modem there and got this

292993841.png

swweeeeeeeeeeeeet

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

i don't think i've been upgraded to 20mb yet as my best was 11.1mb down, i'll find out today, but the support staff have identified a prob with my area (northside) apart from the glitches i'm hoping i made the right decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I'm sure this has been posted before... But i'm in tallaght and i was on the 6MB line.. I just rebooted my modem and i'm on 10MB now. No need for phone calls or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Is there any way to check what connection I'm on? I've moved into a new flat with Chorus BB, and my downloads max out at about 710kB/sec (about ~32kB/sec for uploads)

I don't see anywhere in the Netgear Router config that says the sync speed. Is there a config page for the modem I can access?

I'm fairly sure when I moved in a few days before the upgrades, the download speeds were more like 1MBit or 2Mbit connection. Jumped to 6 or 7Mbit then on the 1st (I rebooted the router). Am I entitled to another upgrade? I'm a bit confused with all the packages listed on the Chorus site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

192.168.100.1 is the address for the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Just want to ask here before i ring them, so as i don't get fobbed off, I'm currently on their broadband light connection (2mb) which is costing 27.99 pm, I want to change to their 3mb broadband for 20pm but here is my question. I got the broadband a part of a bundle which gave me free tv points in 4 rooms, if i upgrade my broadband package will they start charging me for the extra points too? Has anyone ever been in this poistion or similar, would they be willing to substitute one pack for another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Ordered the upgrade last night with the online form.6mb to 10mb ( save €120 a year and still a faster speed who can complain about that :D)
    293039772.png
    Just want to ask here before i ring them, so as i don't get fobbed off, I'm currently on their broadband light connection (2mb) which is costing 27.99 pm, I want to change to their 3mb broadband for 20pm but here is my question. I got the broadband a part of a bundle which gave me free tv points in 4 rooms, if i upgrade my broadband package will they start charging me for the extra points too? Has anyone ever been in this poistion or similar, would they be willing to substitute one pack for another?
    I would imagine that they would charge you for them because changing your broadband isn't part of the bundle the speed is set.However it says here on the upc site http://www.upc.ie/internet/ that Customers on 2Mb Light, 6Mb Express or 12Mb Ultra will automatically be upgraded to 6Mb, 10Mb and 20Mb respectively.So your speed will eventually be upgraded to 6mb.If you went ahead to try and save that €8 it'll cost you a lot more for those 4 tv points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

expatoz wrote: »
    i don't think i've been upgraded to 20mb yet as my best was 11.1mb down, i'll find out today, but the support staff have identified a prob with my area (northside) apart from the glitches i'm hoping i made the right decision

Having similar problems. i'm in dublin 1. What part of the northside did they say they were having problems with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

NeVeR wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been posted before... But i'm in tallaght and i was on the 6MB line.. I just rebooted my modem and i'm on 10MB now. No need for phone calls or anything.

They might be doing it in stages. What part of Tallaght are you in? I'm in the arseend - fortunestown\citywest area and as of yesterday I was still on the 6mb speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i just got off the phone with UPC asking why i wasnt upgraded and the very nice lady said there was a backlog. Then she asked me what product i was upgrading to and i said 10 mbit, she then proceeded to tell me it will be upgraded to it within the hour, but i will have to fill out the form again at the end of the month if i want to avail of there new offer. Apparently they are upgrading the 10 to 20 and the 20 to 40 !!!!! Now id say she must have got it wrong, but i hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

irishguy wrote: »
    Apparently they are upgrading the 10 to 20 and the 20 to 40 !!!!! Now id say she must have got it wrong, but i hope not.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

she then proceeded to tell me it will be upgraded to it within the hour, but i will have to fill out the form again at the end of the month if i want to avail of there new offer. Apparently they are upgrading the 10 to 20 and the 20 to 40 !!!!! Now id say she must have got it wrong, but i hope not.

:eek::eek::eek: omg and i am still here on the ntl 3mg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

i just got off the phone with UPC asking why i wasnt upgraded and the very nice lady said there was a backlog. Then she asked me what product i was upgrading to and i said 10 mbit, she then proceeded to tell me it will be upgraded to it within the hour, but i will have to fill out the form again at the end of the month if i want to avail of there new offer. Apparently they are upgrading the 10 to 20 and the 20 to 40 !!!!! Now id say she must have got it wrong, but i hope not.

If they go to 40mb there will be neighborhoods laying their own coax to get to the network! I doubt its true! but you never know!!

it will wipe out the competition for sure in NTL enabled areas!

Drapper wrote: »
    If they go to 40mb there will be neighborhoods laying their own coax to get to the network! I doubt its true! but you never know!!

I wish this is true I just signed up for the 20MB and getting greedy now hearing this ,mind you i'm moving from eircom 3mb LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

i think she got it wrong cos i was told 20mb is the highest from sales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Ya not sure if its true or not, but thats what she said. btw i have been upgraded 10mbps and its class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 thebromeliad

In fairness, 20mb is pretty impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

What tech are they using now?

Looking at the Koreans/Japanese networks, it wouldnt cost that much going from say 20mb to 200mb and then 1gb and so on, once a fibre network is established

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

192.168.100.1 is the address for the modem.

Apologies for the dumb question but how do I find out my DNS then? That's is displayed under network settings in OSX. And when I login to my router it's configured to get the DNS from my ISP automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Sqaull20 wrote: »

Looking at the Koreans/Japanese networks, it wouldnt cost that much going from say 20mb to 200mb and then 1gb and so on, once a fibre network is established

Pretty sure its still DOCSIS 2 but maybe they have went up to 3 but even at 2 that they still have headroom, it would more likely be other infrastructure and the price that would hold them back rather than the protocol.

The fact is there really isn't any great need for them to upgrade any further for the moment at least. At 12 they were good value but they still had to compete with smarts 15, at the moment they are untouchable except for Magnets impending 50mbit but that will only be in very select areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Yeah its Docsis 2 - they have Docsis 3 on trial in a small town outside Dublin (not disclosed) - it was in todays indo, there was an insert about alternative bb providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

yayamark wrote: »
    In Limerick on the 1meg

Rang upc and they said it will be done nex week at no extra cost

:(

Did a test over the wireless network on speedtest and it seems im still on the 1mb

Will ring them in the morning :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

It has been suggested in another thread that the new 20mb uncapped service is not uncapped at all and that one might be terminated if more than 200gbs is downloaded in a single month. I was wondering if anyone has downloaded more than this fatal amount yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Sqaull20 wrote: »

From UPC?:eek::confused:

Advertisement